German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My landlords said I could get another dog!! They said I care for my current pets and the home is in order. Woohoo! One of two obstacles conquered. Now, I just need to raise the money to buy a dog, lol.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Oh thats wonderful!!!! I'm so very happy for you!!!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Congrats!!! Are you getting a pup from Julie? Any time frames yet or are you in the early stages??

Lu

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i'm glad you're getting another dog. we have a Grey Hound and a Shep. i want a Golden but the GF said the next dog will be small and a rescue. it doesn't have to be pure bred just small. isn't it great having dogs. good luck.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: luanneCongrats!!! Are you getting a pup from Julie? Any time frames yet or are you in the early stages??

Lu
I have to decide which direction to take - working or west German. Right now I'm leaning toward Julie. I want a true SchH dog but may not be ready for one yet (time and money...will have to get serious with a club b/c I am a total noob and don't know how to train in that style on my own). Also, since we are still renting I feel like a "show" dog might be a safer investment than a working dog, not in reality but at least from the point of view of John Q Public who decides whether or not my dogs will live in/on their property.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Well it doesn't take you long to tackle whatever it is you want to tackle. So even though you are a newbie now...you won't be for long. Gotta start somewhere! Everyone does!

You said 'dog', are you getting a puppy or an older dog?

Lu

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: LiesjeAlso, since we are still renting I feel like a "show" dog might be a safer investment than a working dog, not in reality but at least from the point of view of John Q Public who decides whether or not my dogs will live in/on their property.
I really don't think it would make that much difference as long as the working line dog was black and tan. John Q Public won't know the difference in a "show dog" vs a "working dog". They either think ALL GSDs are "scary". Or they think of the black and tans more of the "Rin Tin Tin" type. Where as solid blacks are super scary and usually mixed with Lab
. And <span style="color: #663300">Sables </span> are also either "wolves", "mixed breeds", or "police dogs".
And can also be more "scary" than the "traditional" B & T that most folks are used to.

If you REALLY want a working line dog, I think you should go for it. In a way it almost sounds like you feel like you might have to "settle" for a show line. John Q Public also won't know you are doing SchH if you don't TELL them. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with show lines if that is what you WANT.)

Either way, Congrats on the upcoming addition to the family.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tracy, I am torn 50/50. If I go with the show line it's from a breeder I already know, have seen the other dogs, etc. If I go for a working line, I don't know any working line breeders, so I don't know who to trust.

I tell my landlords what I do with my dogs and they have always like that Kenya was a "show dog" and has her GCG, TDI, and soon-to-be TT. We are in a SchH club but we don't do bitework with her. If I tell them the new dog does SchH they might not like that and it's their insurance policy.

Whichever I chose, there will be plenty to do and there's always a lifetime to get one of the other type...

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Congrats!
One of my two showline dogs is a pretty drivey little bugger, (the other is more moderate.....unless you've got a tennis ball!) so I don't know about "settling" for a showline. I got a comment from someone who met us at Fort Funston last weekend that was amazed at how "athletic and fearless" my dogs are.
It sounds like kennel you're leaning towards might be a really good choice for a first-time Schutzhund dog.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally Posted By: Sherush
what a great landlord you have.
Yep they are really nice. I pay $100 deposit per pet, on top of the $625 cleaning/security deposit. This will be my 6th pet (I have 3 cats). I keep the house and yard clean so I can get it all back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts