German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Shasta barely sheds at all except when she's blowing her coat, then it's six weeks of [a really bad, hot place]. She sheds everything, under coat and outer coat and she has a long thick coat. It's so bad that my husband asks at least "do you think this is normal" at least five times a day! When she's at the height of the hair loss, I'm vacuuming three or more times a day in the areas she likes to hang out.. She looks kind of naked to us right now, but before June it will all have all grown back so we can go through it again.

FYI, I prefer the undercoat rake to the Furminator and my husband prefers the rubber Kong brush-thingy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
@Germanshephardlova---It was Me Nina that mentioned the DYSON Oh **** yeah it rocks! Today since we are painting the inside of the house I had the shop vac out to clean up the sanding dust and while I was at that I chased the 'Puppies" (dog hair) down the hall with the SV lol it was great!

·
Registered
142 Posts
sorry for the swear word..but actually it's a place and not really a cuss...lol

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
As far as the furminator goes it depends on the coat if your pup has a closer denser coat then yeah the furminator works great. My girl is a longer coat and I LOATHE the furminator it makes her coat look horrible. I have had a lab and a GSD in the past that the furminator was horrible on as well the GSD wasn't real tight but had hair aobut an inch or so long like the lab. I'm not a fan of the furminator it does work and gets a ton of hair out but hate how it makes their coat look it cuts the hair etc.. just not a fan of it but it works for others. I have 3 very basic grooming tools in my arsenal and I wouldn't have it any other way. One is a basic slicker brush (great for just a quick brush session and helps loosen up some of the areas that have a few tangles.) The second is the zoom groom by kong for the shorter coats it works amazing even on the long coat it works rather well at the undercoat as well as the guard hairs is only like $8. It also works well in the shower to get a good lather and to top it all off if you use the back of it it's amazing on the furniture and clothes to help get the fur off of it like a lint roller almost just no paper haha. My third and by far favorite tool is my metal grooming comb. Its just a regular comb and all metal. I never groom her dry so I make up a spray bottle with water and a few squirts of pantene conditioner for fine hair spray her all over and then use the metal comb. Gets a ton of hair out plus it all collects in the comb so you don't have hair going everywhere. Plus, after her coat is super shiny and soft and always smells like she's freshly groomed. Also, I feed raw and give supplements which really does make a difference. I had someone bring their dog over and couldn't believe how much more it shed then Jinx then she switched her guys to raw and noticed a huge reduction in shedding just my switching. She doesn't shed much all year except for when she actually blows her coat then it's bad but vacuuming and the comb/squirt bottle and we are ready for war lol

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
The hair is driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hair, hair, hair, it's everywhere!

Between the dogs and the cats I sleep hair, I eat hair, I am hair!

I can sweep and sweep and sweep and there is still hair!

I have had it!

Once my cats pass away I will not get anymore and I will only have 1 GSD at a time.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The hair is driving me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hair, hair, hair, it's everywhere!

Between the dogs and the cats I sleep hair, I eat hair, I am hair!

I can sweep and sweep and sweep and there is still hair!

I have had it!

Once my cats pass away I will not get anymore and I will only have 1 GSD at a time.
Ever try knitting the dog hair into a sweater? :D

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
LOL LaRen. I take it you are having a bad hair day haha.

Unfortunately right there with you. Generally it's not bad but this weather can't make up its mind and either can Jinx's coat plus I'm pretty sure she's getting ready to go into heat so she's just losing hair EVERYWHERE even my husband is going nuts because it's everywhere no matter what I do.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I always wondered how long I'd have to brush in order to stop getting hair out. I have every tool and they're all great but it just doesn't stop, lol.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
LOL LaRen. I take it you are having a bad hair day haha.

Unfortunately right there with you. Generally it's not bad but this weather can't make up its mind and either can Jinx's coat plus I'm pretty sure she's getting ready to go into heat so she's just losing hair EVERYWHERE even my husband is going nuts because it's everywhere no matter what I do.
I have to look closely at everything I eat because a hair always ends up in it, it's disgusting. I hate cooking in my house.

I sweep and sweep and move things around to get the hair and within an hour a tumble weed blows past me!

I wish I could shave them all.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Thankfully I generally am pretty safe cooking however sitting down to eat it an a finger touches clothes or the couch or something else cloth and next thing I know theres a hair about to go in my mouth. Grrr can't wait for her to go back to her "normal" shedding which normally isn't much.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Ever try knitting the dog hair into a sweater? :D
Seriously--for a while there, I was selling dog and cat hair to a lady that spins fiber into yarn. She gave me a dollar an ounce!! Eventually she was overwhelmed with dog hair and had to tell me to quit sending it. :D

She had samples of the yarn she spun from dog hair. She had all different breeds: GSD, Husky, Poodle, Norwegian Elkhound, etc. The best was Bichon Frise. Very soft and cottony.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Seriously--for a while there, I was selling dog and cat hair to a lady that spins fiber into yarn. She gave me a dollar an ounce!! Eventually she was overwhelmed with dog hair and had to tell me to quit sending it. :D

She had samples of the yarn she spun from dog hair. She had all different breeds: GSD, Husky, Poodle, Norwegian Elkhound, etc. The best was Bichon Frise. Very soft and cottony.
LOL. With all the GSD hair I have, I'd be a millionaire!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts