German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Babsy has been adequately described as a couch potato, but some things are rediculous. She is in my bed (sleeping) as is her wont when I am watching a video, and I am looking for some canine companionship, and decided that she was a lost cause. I brought Dolly in.

As this would be Dolly and Babsy's first time to be free with one another, I left Babs in the room with the divider between the hall and the living room. As there were no open hostilities, I slid the divider open and let Babs in the room with me and the pup.

After a mild but thourough sniff job, Babsy aired it out and landed on the quilt on the couch and settled for her mid afternoon snooze. The pup went for a closer view and got the evil eye, but not the lip curl which generallly denotes trouble. I quickly put my warning tone for Babs to be Gentle, and that ended that.

Dolly quicly grabbed my old shoe and paraded around the living room with the shoe held high like a trophe. So I dug around in the dog box and found a blue fluffy toy. I gave that to her and when she went for the shoe again, I gave her a quick Eh, that's Mine. And she left it alone. Good Girl.

Babs could care less, she was sound asleep.

I moved to the fridge to get a treat. Babs disapparated from her spot on the couch and reappeared, nose, eyes, and ears keyed on the cheese, butt on the ground. Dolly was not as quick but as she got there all the same, I said SIT though Babs had beat me to it, and Dolly's butt hit the ground and cheese quarters all around. We adjusted our movements, another SIT, butts magically struck the floor and cheese was distributed. Game over. Two dogs trained today.

Babsy waited to ensure no more tidbits were to be had, and then went off to her recliner in my study. I finished watching the vid with Dolly. Then she wanted to go back outside, and I let her.

I had to call Babsy to get her to relocate to my bedroom as I had something I was doing at that end of the house. And then I tried to crawl in for a nap.

Babs of course is draped across the pillows on the top of the bed. I get in and she give me BUTT!!! I make her move so her head is up by me, and she gives me a straight arm so that I cannot pull her near.

I think I finally got it. Babsy likes my bed, my couch, my recliner, my food, and my treats, but she really does not like me. The others fawn all over me. Babs gets more of everything, and treats me like leftover fish.

GSDs are SUPPOSED to be smart, they should at least know how to schmooze the one that brings home the bacon!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
It sounds like you've got a cat in a GSD body :)

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
How old is Babs?

Because it seems she has fooled you for enough time to consider her quite smart :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Slightly off topic, but, after finally really looking at your signature...How many dogs do you have?? :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Slightly off topic, but, after finally really looking at your signature...How many dogs do you have?? :)
She has no "dogs." Haha. I know some people will know what that's from. Hopefully.
(Not being hateful, just trying to throw some evening humor in here). :)

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yupp, they are all bitches.

Dolly is one of the Pains. Hoping the Pains do not become regulars, but if they do, that is ok too.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How old is Babs?

Because it seems she has fooled you for enough time to consider her quite smart :)
She is five, and yes, she knows how to play me. I am sorry that I cannot get a picture of it, but she doesn't just give me airplane ears, she twists them up too. How can you be mad at or say no to that???

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Forgive my brain fart, but I just remembered that you breed. They're not all pups, though, I take it?...And they're permanent in your home? Sorry for all the random questions, I'm just trying to get a sense of what it's like to have 8 bitches in your home...

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Babs and Jenna are my five year olds.
Heidi, Whitney, and Tori are my four year olds.
Milla and Ninja are my two year olds.
Joy is my yearling.

I LOVE bitches. It takes some getting used to. You have to be a little more careful when the hormones are going. Some of them are easier with the others than others. There are moments, when I question my sanity, like when I am taking two puppies to classes back to back.

They can all come inside, but they are not all inside all the time. They are not all inside at the same time, except when they are sleeping in crates.

I do breed. When you breed, you hold dogs back to pick the best ones to go on with. Sometimes you get dogs back. Sometimes you drop them out of your breeding program for one reason or another, but they still get fed, and trained, and groomed, and loved.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Sorry, I hope you didn't think I was at all implying that your bitches weren't loved or taken care of! :) I had just known people to have 4-5 dogs, max, 8 boggled my mind, haha. The breeding thing doesn't matter to me or concern me, it's not my business, but remembering it helped me realize why you may be caring for so many, that's why I brought it up. Thanks for explaining things. As I said, I wasn't prying as I doubted your abilities, but rather to find out what it's like caring for that many bitches, you must have your hands full!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Glad you asked the bitch question was good to know LOL!

·
Registered
972 Posts
haha! my lab is the SAME way! she is queen bee in the house and has ME trained for what she wants.. i was always strict with her but i did giver her whatever she wanted so i think i spoiled her lol.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I hope you didn't think I was at all implying that your bitches weren't loved or taken care of! :) I had just known people to have 4-5 dogs, max, 8 boggled my mind, haha. The breeding thing doesn't matter to me or concern me, it's not my business, but remembering it helped me realize why you may be caring for so many, that's why I brought it up. Thanks for explaining things. As I said, I wasn't prying as I doubted your abilities, but rather to find out what it's like caring for that many bitches, you must have your hands full!

No. I may have been a little defensive because of the hoarding post when someone said two was enough. I find that since each of my girls is a unique personality, I do different kinds of stuff with them. I have athletes, Jenna, Joy who I do agility stuff with. Milla and Whitney who are high energy and athletic, that I let run around like nut jobs. Tori and Ninja that are more my midnight stalkers, Heidi and Babsy who are my obedience/rally dogs.

I train some of the more active ones to run with my bicycle. Others, like Babsy and Heidi, pefer to sit on a park bench and help me watch the world go by.

If I had just one or two, I am afraid that I would be more apt to do what I wanted to do with the dog instead of playing to her strengths.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
No. I may have been a little defensive because of the hoarding post when someone said two was enough. I find that since each of my girls is a unique personality, I do different kinds of stuff with them. I have athletes, Jenna, Joy who I do agility stuff with. Milla and Whitney who are high energy and athletic, that I let run around like nut jobs. Tori and Ninja that are more my midnight stalkers, Heidi and Babsy who are my obedience/rally dogs.

I train some of the more active ones to run with my bicycle. Others, like Babsy and Heidi, pefer to sit on a park bench and help me watch the world go by.

If I had just one or two, I am afraid that I would be more apt to do what I wanted to do with the dog instead of playing to her strengths.
I really haven't delved into that thread, so I don't have any idea what's been said in it. To each their own as far as how many dogs to have in your home. I say, so long as you can handle it, they're all loved and provided for, take on however many you see fit. Again, I wasn't at all questioning why you have 8 bitches, I was trying to ensure I was understanding your signature correctly as to the number, haha. Then I began envisioning what that would be like. :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
they are smart. they know they're going to get the
bacon whether they schmooze or not.

GSDs are SUPPOSED to be smart, they should at least know how to schmooze the one that brings home the bacon!!!

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, Babsy does. She has me wrapped around her little paw and knows it. I have created a monster. She gets more bacon than the rest of them put together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts