German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at work, Coworker A comes up to me laughing and says "did Coworker B tell you what happened with her [bitch] Sparkette this morning?"

Me: Ummm, no.

A: Hehehe, B looked outside this morning and a dog was humping Sparkette.

Me: Ummm, THAT'S not good! If a dog was humping her, then it probably means she's coming into heat. Why the **** was she outside unsupervised?!

A: No, no...she's not coming into heat. Sparkette is IN heat. She ONLY left her outside for a few minutes on the tieout....she can't be out there with her...the snow is deep.

Me: WHAT?!

A: B said it was a really handsome yellow lab--if she gets pregnant, those are going to be the CUTEST puppies! Eee!

:headbang::thumbsdown::nono::angryfire:

Now, while I do not think my coworker was PURPOSLY leaving her outside unattended to get her pregnant, B and her live-in have tried to have puppies with Sparkette twice, and neither time she took (no health certs, no titles, no training--in fact this dog sounds like a compelte and holy terror) and they've been quite disappointed.

I have no doubt in my mind they would be ELATED if she just HAPPENED to get pregnant.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wow. Yet another mixed breed litter of puppies. (and I DONT have anything against mixed breeds) A lady with the rescue I help with told me that labs account for the highest percentage of mixed breed puppies born every year, and unfortunately are some of the hardest to place.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Yeah, I look at the humane society page and 90% are lab mixes. Everyone wants the lab personality but also wants to be different, so they mix the breeds. It's sad really because nothing guarantees that the pup will have a lab personality and then you're left with who knows what. I have seen a gorgeous lab/shepherd mix. It was a lab with the saddleback coloring of a shepherd...really cool.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Also, why isn't their dog spayed? If they aren't planning on breeding, and it doesn't sound like she is up to breed standards anyways. Isn't it quite the hassle to deal with a female in heat, and I'm not talking about keeping males away, I'm talking about the mess every 6 months.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I once got a call when I was a shelter volunteer................woman's two dogs were stuck together. She didn't think they would "do that" because, after all, they were brother and sister. People are so dumb sometimes.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I got a call once from some lady with a male who was "antsy" all the time, and could she bring him over to "relieve himself" with one of my bitches?

Um...I don't think so. :D

·
Registered
818 Posts
I knew someone who was in the "pet business" so to speak, and had an "accidental" litter (the kid or spouse or something like that let the dogs out while they weren't in the house to supervise.. yup...)

And wouldn't ya know it apparently the houdini couple did it again! I guess the "oops" pups sold so well last time they just had to have another "accident".. to the tune of $500 per mixed breed pup. Lab being one of those mixes. :headbang:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I HAVE THE BEST "DUMB RESPONSE" YET!!
A lady had her female accidentally bred by the "son" of the female.....
Her response was: "I didn't think this would happen.....after all, it's HER 9mo old son...she should know better.....I don't think she will get pregnant anyway, he is only 9mos old...and he only has "baby sperm"....:thinking:.:censored:
*If that "stupid" response in thinking doesn't win a dumb --- award....I don't know what does!?

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Also, why isn't their dog spayed? If they aren't planning on breeding, and it doesn't sound like she is up to breed standards anyways. Isn't it quite the hassle to deal with a female in heat, and I'm not talking about keeping males away, I'm talking about the mess every 6 months.
They tried to breed her twice already, sounds like they wanted puppies.

But I see no reason to just spay a bitch, just because. I see that as an unnecessary surgery. It is no problem to deal with a bitch in heat. I look at it as part of owning a bitch.

But I agree that there are no oops litters, or that the true oopses are few and far between. If you choose to own an intact bitch, it is your responsibility to ensure that the children and the husband and the neighbor that is taking care of your dogs while you are away do not let them get together. It is up to you to ensure that they are not left together for a few minutes while you are all outside looking at something else. It is up to you not to put a bitch in heat on a tie out.

It is amazing how ignorance increases fertility.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
All I can say without getting into trouble is good grief!!!

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I got a call once from some lady with a male who was "antsy" all the time, and could she bring him over to "relieve himself" with one of my bitches?

Um...I don't think so. :D

WORST pickup line ever!!!!!
:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's not just dogs - I know people who have mares that have been "accidentally" bred three or more times. Irresponsible ownership - either of the animal or of the decision to breed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts