German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a normal day, how much does your 1 yr old eat in the coarse of the day?

Do you just stick with dry food, or do you add wet food in as well?

Our Talyn in on the skinny side and we want to get some weight on him. But he is also a very picky eater, only at certain times will he eat is dry.

And we don't give him table scrapes at all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
The quantity of kibble a dog eats is going to vary a lot---partly because of individual metabolism and activity levels, but even more because different dry foods have different levels of caloric density. What that means is, with some brands of food the dog has to eat lots more to get the same amount of calories and nutrition.

If you've got a picky eater, you might want to try a different brand of dry food---perhaps one that has more calories per unit. That way, you could feed less, dog eats less---but still gets more nutrition.

We've got lots of folks who know all about dog food on here---what brand do you currently feed Talyn? Do you live near a PetSmart/Petco or have a feed store nearby?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the fast reply! I believe right now, thinking off the top of my head we feed him Iams Large Breed

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I fed Iams to my American boy Champ who I had before Apollo and Zeus. Champ had skin problems, a sensitive stomach, and shed like CRAZY even though we brushed him a lot. So, in short, I wouldn't feed that food. If you can, try to feed something like Blue Buffalo, Solid Gold, Orijen, or something of similar quality that's a bit cheaper, orijen is quite pricey.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think Iams contributed to the sensitive stomach? That is one of my highest and largest worries. I lost two german shepherds to the "bloated" stomach, so I am trying to be very careful with Talyn.

Well also my past two dogs were related, brother and sister and I have a feeling that a genetic attribute could of contributed as well.

And thanks for the food recommendations, I will certainly look them up.

I am right by a Petco btw, sorry I forgot to answer that question before I am getting everything ready for the Billy Joel concert.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts