German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Yes it is another post by me - Gosh I'm chatty today. Sorry about that!

I do have to wonder though - how many shepherd people get asked that question? you see I'm a new Shepherd person but it's a question that I get asked an awful lot in regards to my Fila Brasileiro. At least I get asked it a lot by other dog people - non-dog people (and admittedly a fair amount of dog people) don't actually know what a Fila is.

I get so very frustrated with people when they ask me this. When did it become unacceptable for someone to own a dog that doesn't like everyone they meet? Also when did not liking strangers come to equal "must be unsafe around kids!" My fila Kaylee is brilliant around our children. She isn't good with other peoples kids - but then again neither am I.

I just really do not understand the what I have termed "Labratude" of most people. Hopefully I didn't just insult some Lab people out there as I didn't mean any offense.

Generally I answer "Because I wanted one" when people ask me but I'd love to hear other - actually clever replies if people have them! I am not too creative when it comes to that sort of thing.

Bea

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I'm lucky I don't really get that. I think those type of people are too fearful to get close enough for that conversation. I do get the negative "they have terrible hips, your dog is going to have health problems". Gee, how cheerful!

I do get people with "buyers regret" people who previously had a GSD, then when it died got another breed. They just stop and stare and say they wish they got a GSD. One man was so kind to stop me and say, these are the best dogs -if you are ever in bind or are threatened, these dogs will always come through for you.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Why wouldn't I?
All the cool people have them.
To eat people who ask silly questions.
In case my car is out of gas and I need a ride to town.
That is not a dog, that is my son.
So the cats have something to play London bridges with.
To eat the leftovers that the kids won't eat.

Those are the ones off the top of my head. I am usually good for a few smart aleck responses.

Edit:the government wouldn't let me keep the alien I found.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
I think a dog that is not good around children can be good with children that they are raised with, but most pet people would not want that kind of liability. If you are in the US anyway, if you have your kid's friends over at the house, they may do something totally stupid around your dog, and if that happens, you get the pants sued off of you.

Furthermore, people just don't have common sense any more, and they are raising kids. Kids walk right into their friends and neighbors houses, and having a formidable dog, can be a liability. If this kid EVER walked into your house before without being invited in, I think a case can be made that your dog is dangerous if it bit the kid.

And lots of dog breeds might react in that situation. But to have a dog that is really not good around other people's kids, means you have to be hyper-vigilent, especially if you have kids. In fact, I think, well, in my opinion, it is a disservice to your kids to have a dog that is unsafe around strange kids because 1, no kid needs to witness a friend getting attacked by their dog; and 2, you will either not allow a kid to bring their friends home, or you will have to have strict rules about putting the dog away before your kid can have a friend over.

I think when you have kids, your dog should be stable, and unlikely to attack a non-threatening person. Kids are not little adults, they often act before they think and they do not always measure consequences before they do a thing. Just horse-playing with a friend can set a dog off, and if a kid gets angry and throws a few real punches at the other, the dog might go after them. A kid might deserve a bloody nose from a friend at some point, but an ordinary kid does not deserve to be attacked by a dog for being and ordinary kid.

So, I guess I can understand why people might be surprised that anyone with kids would have a dog that isn't good with kids in general.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Are you asking this question in regard to do I gat asked:

"Why do you have a dog like that? because I chose to own a GSD?

Or because my dog is aggressive, bad with kids etc? (which they are not)
Honestly I think it's a fair enough question if you have a dog thats bad with kids aggressive etc.

I have NEVER been asked that, the most common question is "gosh they are big dogs, HOW much do they eat??" LOL or "how often do you have to brush them"
I guess people just assume I have GSDs due to my family coming from germany :D

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I have gotten it maybe once or twice. Honestly though, the "I LOVE GSD's! I had them as a kid, best dog ever!" comments come far more frequently. My husband likes to joke that GSD owners are like Harley owners: they always have to approach a fellow owner and share the love :)

My mom was pretty incredulous when I told her I wanted a shepherd; my brother was bitten by their shepherd as a toddler. The logical side of her knows that leaving a two year old unattended to climb all over a sleeping dog who in all likelihood just lifted his head while my brother was near his face (he just left a scratch) had nothing to do with the breed, but it still left a mark. My brother has continued to own shepherds since, so he wasn't too phased, lol. Now though, she loves Echo... has more pictures of him on her desk and fridge than any of her kids or grandchild. She takes him to work when I am visiting, etc... it's nice that she's a convert :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have gotten it maybe once or twice. Honestly though, the "I LOVE GSD's! I had them as a kid, best dog ever!" comments come far more frequently. My husband likes to joke that GSD owners are like Harley owners: they always have to approach a fellow owner and share the love :)
Hahah yeah that's so true, that happens pretty much every time I take the dogs somewhere - but I'm embarrassed to admit I did it to a lady in a pet shop the other day :blush:
She had this gorgeous shepherd pup and I asked if I could say hi - then told her about my shepherds LOL I did laugh at myself over it afterward when I realised :D

My mum would not let me have a Shepherd for my first dog because she tough they were dangerous - she did let me get a huge brindle mastiff x instead tho :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
I got told the same thing by my husband.
If you wanted a dog for the kids a GSD was not the right dog to get.
He told me that the week I brought her home.
You should have gotten a lab they are really good with kids. You are really gonna have to watch that dog around the kids. I dont know anyone who wants a dog for there kids and picks out a GSD. If she bites one of them its gonna be bad. :(
Now that he has seen how gentle she is with the kids he is diffrent.
I will correct my 2yr old when she pulls ears or puts her hands in her mouth, or tries to play with her when she is eating. ( not that Lily is food agressive BUT I dont want her to think its okay to do that to just any dog. So its just off limits.)
But anyways when I am trying to correct her from doing that he will tell me to "leave her alone that dog isnt gonna hurt her, she wouldnt bite that baby.":rolleyes:
Yeah I get that when we are at the park(not the dog park but the kid park) from other parents. "Oh is she okay for the kids to be around? Does it worry you having her around the kids" lol I tell them " no I feel safer with her around the kids, shes is there fur sister" I really think that is her most favorite place to be, The way she just lays there and watches all the kids and if one gets close enough she raises her head and licks them and the tail starts beating like crazy.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
If I have to explain, you probably wouldn't understand anyway. I like keeping it short & simple.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
If a person asks you why you decided on the GSD breed, that would be a wonderful time to educate folks on the GSD. Tell them why the GSD was the dog for you. What qualities you like in the dog. The hardships they bring. The difference in the lines of the GSD. Why purchasing a GSD from a byb isn't always the best idea.

When you've committed yourself to a breed (even if it's the first and last time you'll have one) you've become a steward to that breed. Being asked about your dog is the perfect time to educate folks on the breed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If a person asks you why you decided on the GSD breed, that would be a wonderful time to educate folks on the GSD. Tell them why the GSD was the dog for you. What qualities you like in the dog. The hardships they bring. The difference in the lines of the GSD. Why purchasing a GSD from a byb isn't always the best idea.

When you've committed yourself to a breed (even if it's the first and last time you'll have one) you've become a steward to that breed. Being asked about your dog is the perfect time to educate folks on the breed.

Sure, except that most of the time the question is rhetorical and it's really just another way of saying "what character defect do you suffer from that makes you want to have a dog like that?"

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Sure, except that most of the time the question is rhetorical and it's really just another way of saying "what character defect do you suffer from that makes you want to have a dog like that?"
Ahh..but what better way to make your point? If they are going to waste your time by asking you a rhetorical question, waste their time by answering it.

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
My next come back to a question like that would be, "Are you interested in the answer?" If they are, you tell them.
I am impressed that people you meet actually know what a Fila is.
So my question to you is that very same one. If you have kids, why did you decide on a Fila? Just curious, not intend to offend.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Why wouldn't I?
All the cool people have them.
To eat people who ask silly questions.
In case my car is out of gas and I need a ride to town.
That is not a dog, that is my son.
So the cats have something to play London bridges with.
To eat the leftovers that the kids won't eat.

Those are the ones off the top of my head. I am usually good for a few smart aleck responses.

Edit:the government wouldn't let me keep the alien I found.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
:spittingcoffee: OMG! I am gonna use these!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I have to say I've never been asked that question, back when I had my ASL in the mid 80s nor since I've been back into GSDs for the last 6 years or so.

A few people are wary of them but they usually just stay away and mind their own business, most compliment me or ask me questions which are inquisitive rather then negative.

I suppose I'll run into that question one day.

I did have a guy, who apparently knows a thing or two about GSDs, say to me (about Ilda) "That's not Rin Tin Tin" with a wink and smile. :D

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
I think all large breed dog owners get that question at one time or another. Especially those of use that own what are considered "dangerous" breeds. I, personally, can't stand small dogs. There are very few I actually like regardless of breed.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Ahh..but what better way to make your point? If they are going to waste your time by asking you a rhetorical question, waste their time by answering it.
Or tell them it's just to make them ask stupid questions. :shocked:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi All,

In regards to Fila's and kids - at least for me my love affair with the breed started long before we had kids. We didn't actually plan on having kids - the first was a complete surprise (after being told by three doctors that I could not get pregnant.)

My previous Fila Serenity was already an older daughter when my first daughter was born. Serenity carefully monitored her - and my daughter actually learned to walk by clinging to the dog. We lost Serenity when my daughter was about two years old and were without a Fila for a year. Then came Kaylee - I waited for her for four years before the breeder finally bred her mother to a Spanish import. She was the first puppy born and a hellion from day one. Almost everything I know about dogs I learned by trying to fix mistakes a made with Kaylee the first six months! She was the most stubborn, hard headed, impossible puppy I have ever come across - anything after her feels easy.

We worked our butts off with socialization and obedience training. At 18mo's old she was one of a very small handful of Fila's in the US to get her CGC certification. Something that I am very proud of! However she is still a Fila - and though she is typically extremely well behaved in public I never let that fact escape me.

As to why I have one: Well they are the most wonderful dogs on the planet of course. I have never owned a smarter, more empathic, clingier, self thinking, confident, stubborn, emotional, up your butt dog.

As to why anyone here would actually recognize them: Unfortunately the Phoenix area of Arizona has a lot of people cross breeding Fila's with other things trying to make the ultimate fighting dog or the ultimate personal protection dog. It's very sad as Fila mixes are usually really unstable dogs and generally hurt someone and end up being put down. Honestly though a lot of badly bred purebred Fila's are just as unstable :(

As for the kid thing: We have never had an issue with anyone just walking into our house! I cannot imagine someone doing that - who does that? I never would have thought of just walking into a friends house growing up.
I suppose that living in the middle of no where with very few close neighbours helps - and our neighbours all know Kaylee.

I would be very happy to talk Fila with anyone interested! I have a breed pamphlet available that I wrote years ago for the Fila rescue that is still being used.

Bea

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Honestly I think it's a fair enough question if you have a dog thats bad with kids aggressive etc.
I don't think it's a fair question.

My puppy (almost a year old) is very aloof with children, but loves adults (once she's met them). It wasn't something I planned on, just the opposite actually, I tried socializing the heck out of her around kids, but two kids scared her as a pup and now she just doesn't want to bother with them.

She's also leash reactive with other dogs, although really just wants to play once she's met them. I think she just likes to act tough until she knows they're friendly, but it's frustrating and I get the look from people all the time. I'm not going to keep her locked in the basement, I keep taking her out and working on things.

Just because she doesn't love kids, doesn't mean I'd get rid of her. I know that's not what you're suggesting, but really, what do people expect a person to do?

My dog didn't turn out to be really kid friendly, but she's still my dog and I'm in it for the long haul, good or bad.

For each bad quality she has, she must have at least 10 good ones. Most people don't get to see them though, when they're seeing her for 5 seconds out of her life.

And what some people see as bad others might see as good. People don't like being barked at as they come up the drive, but I'm glad she does when someone is approaching the house. It makes me feel safe.

They say people are just like their dogs, and I think it's true. I'm also aloof with strangers. I don't trust easily, I need people to earn my trust. So on some level I feel like my dog 'gets' me even if others don't.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Why did I get a dog like this?
A dog that is well-mannered.
A dog that behaves and responds to commands.
A dog that is approachable.
A dog that likes to play with other dogs when they prove they aren't aggressive.
A dog that is nice to look at.
A dog that kids can run up to.
A dog that wags her tail and is gentle when approaching the elderly.
I don't know why. What was I thinking !?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts