German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took Ary to the vet to get sedated for her nail clipping. They decided to let two vet techs give her the shot in the waiting room so they could see someone while the drugs were taking affect.After about 20 mins she was laying there acting like she normally does when she is sedated. Well then the vet came out to get her and she walked into the room very normally. So she wasn't fully sedated and it took two people to hold her and she was so stressed.She was out just enough so that we could actually clip her nails. Well then we drive home 15 mins and by the time we get there the sedative kicks in all the way!They didnt give her the reversal drugs because they thought she hadnt been fully sedated so now she is gonna have to wake up on her own which takes forever and I am stuck at work worrying! The only good news is once we got home I went and clipped her nails and filed them so they are as short as they can be for the first time in forever.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
OMG
My butt would be on the phone telling the vet to get to my house ASAP.

The next time I had that done absolutely no techs would be touching my dog.

I hope she is ok poor baby

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's not asleep just out of it and I called right away and they said she will be fine just to let her sleep it off.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I would be FLIPPING OUT! oh goodness. I hope she is ok!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Originally Posted By: Aryg2461She's not asleep just out of it and I called right away and they said she will be fine just to let her sleep it off.
Thank god!!
did they refund your money?? they need to for the stupidity and for your suffering.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No her nails did get cut which I couldn't have done if she was fully conscious. I just called my grandma and she is doing good she ate and went outside to pee with some help.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Is this the first time you have taken you dog in to be seditated for nail clipping? What were the other times like?

If a dog is stressed it takes longer for the sedation to take affect. Depending on what they gave it is better to let them sleep it off than try to reverse it.

Val

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the third time we have done this the other two times went fairly well she was sedated to where she couldnt really move alot or walk and would only move her head a little or her paws when we clipped her nails. Both other times she has been given the reversal drug and done fine.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Please, there should be no reason why you should take your dog to the vet for nail clipping.

If you can't at least clip the dog's nails, you need to work with the animal.

And sedating Ary for something as simple as nail clipping sounds a bit off board.

Work the heck out of the dog, until Ary is pooped and then work on the nail yourself.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I agree with Timber. Ill effects of sedation do not show up right away all the time. Siezures can happen well after an incident of sedation in humans, and there is no reason why the same may not be true of dogs. Save sedation for the important stuff.

If you must, do two toenails a night. One toenail, then a special treat. The second toenail, and a special treat. Then you are done. Make it an evening ritual. Pretty soon you should be able to give the tasty treat after both toenails are done. Then you can expiriment with doing a paw.

Another thing, I do not get down on the floor for this, I do it on my bed or couch. Easier on the dog and on me.

Keep stypic powder on hand. Hopefully you will not need it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thank you for you advice but unfortunately I have worked with Ary for over a year now and things have actually gotten worse. I am constantly touching her feet and I have tried cheese, steak, pb, and other treats. I actually cut dogs nails proffesionaly and train dogs and I have tried everything I know. Whoever had her before I did, did something terrible, when I first got her her nails were very long and all cracked and you could tell a few had been broken. So I do appreciate you concern please remember all dogs are different and your advice may work for you own dogs and many others but not in this particular instance. I have been researching any other methods to get her to calm down enough to let me touch her feet but so far nothing has worked. Any other suggestions ( besides working with her everyday which I already do ) are welcome.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I am more concerned with the dangers of anethesia. But allowing the nails to get too long and broken is dangerous too.

Before my brother gave me Tori back (at fifteen weeks) they told me how he and his friend had to hold her down to cut her nails. So far, I have not had to do this. My dogs do better with professionals than with me, because they do not go into it nervous, like I do. As you do nails professionally, I have nothing to say as it doesn't sound like you would be nervous about cutting the quick or any of that.

Good luck with her. You got to do what you got to do.

If you work full-time, you can put her out on concrete all day. Mine are, it wears their nails down. They have cots and a wood platform to lie on, but all day long they run back and forth on concrete wearing their nails down. It is a thought that might make the number of vet visits for this fewer.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Aryg2461, have you taked to your Vet about give you some Acepromazine to give at home? Ace isn't what I would advise, but since you are not inexperienced at nail trimming and you have tried working with your dog, it might be worth a try.

Maybe with the Ace it would take enough out of her for you to be able to do this at home and not sediate her. I know you probably don't like sediating her, so this might be worth a try.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Brittany,

a few other comments. First your statement about all dogs are different is right on. I have had about eight GSD's this year, and none are the same. Including cutting nails

As for the nails. Are they really that important. My thought is if you can't get the dog to allow you to cut them.

I suspect Ary will do fine with untrimmed nails.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I disagree. If the dog is living in the house, the nails will grow, and be painful to walk on. They can curl back into the flesh, especially the dew claws. As you allow them to grow the quick grows down with the nail making it nearly impossible NOT to nick the quick when you HAVE to cut them. And if you let them grow, they are much more likely to snag and break, causing a painful injury requiring sedation and surgery.

If the dog is on concrete, they really can go for quite a while without a trim. As they wear them down daily. Then all you have to do is make sure the dew claws are not too long.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I've only skimmed this thread. But, have you thought about grinding instead of clipping. I find that it is much less stressful on the dog. There's a period of time where introductions to the grinder (I use a dremel) take place. And, it can be a slow process to get the dog used to it. But, it might be worth looking into.

This site is really good explaining the how to's:

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/index.html

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I sure can understand the OP on this! We rescued Max at about 18 months. He had no nails they had been cut so short they were not visible. When they finally grew and needed trimming boy was I in for a surprise! I worked for over a year with a clicker, treats etc and made little progress so we too resorted to sedation when he needed a trim. Had a great vet in KY but moved to OR and the first time we had him done it was a disaster.

I decided this dog was not running me so I tried the dremel and worked one nail a day. 5 years later I can do all his nails in one sitting.

Patience, patience, patience.......

Keep at it!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I was thinking to dremel the nails instead of clipping as well.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
We used to run my very first GSD on concrete. That was over forty years ago now; however, I do remember the concrete was very difficult on his pads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts