German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shane has a Tick born disease, meaning some type of lyme disease, as to which one, don't know. The vet told me to put him on doxycycline. Can one else give me more information about this antibiotic. Any supplements to help him build his joints? I tried so hard go keep him tick free, this so frustrating. I hate to see him so miserable.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
There are some members here with experience with Tick Disease.

I know Doxycycline is pretty much the standard treatment.

The one thing I would suggest is to get some Probioitics. If you give the Doxy. 2 times a day then 1/2 way between those two give the Probioitics. ABX is great at killing things so it kills the good bacteria in the tummy.

Why do you want to build his joints, is there a problem there. Dogs with a Tick disease sometimes have joint pain, which I would assume is from inflamation from the disease.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More for a preventive measure. I don't want his joints to weaken. Before Shane we had a toy poodle, and he also contracted lyme disease and it effected his hip bones for the rest of his life. He wasn't in any pain, but he always walked with a limp. I just don't want that happen to Shane, so I thought I could something now. The vet did say Shane may be in some pain.

As for the Doxy he told him 5 times a week, for next 14 days. We have to watch how he reacts to see if may cause diarrhea.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Where I work when a dog has a positive Lyme, EHR, ANA or Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever, we recommend either Arthimaxx, a liquid for their food, GlyoFlex I, II, or III Ieither chewables or pills) or Cosequin. Good luck!
to all of you. Do you use Frontline plus monthly? If you do, and have never missed a month, you may be able to contact the company (forget if it's Meriel or Pfizer) and they may pay your bills. Discuss this with your vet.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
What test was used (in house at the vet are SNAP3 or SNAP4, or was it sent to a lab).

Exactly *what* tick disease was found. There is lyme, and then there is a lsit of other diseases.

What milligram of doxycycline was prescribed, and how much does your dog weigh?

How long has he been having symptoms?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Lisa,

This post got pushed to the 2nd page I didn't see your response.

Quote:What test was used (in house at the vet are SNAP3 or SNAP4, or was it sent to a lab).
THe vet had in house lab too, he did it right there on the spot.

Quote:Exactly *what* tick disease was found. There is lyme, and then there is a lsit of other diseases.
. They didn't say what type it was exactly. He just said he has Lyme disease, but we did catch it early.

Quote:What milligram of doxycycline was prescribed, and how much does your dog weigh?
I don't have the medication with me right now, I can't remember off the top of my head how many milligrams. Shane weights exactly 96.3 pounds

Quote:How long has he been having symptoms?
Shane started limping on June 25th. At first we thought it was a broken toe nail, then a sprained shoulder, come to find it out it was Lyme disease. The vet sounded very hopeful, and things that doxy is going to help. I hope he is right.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: JenM66Where I work when a dog has a positive Lyme, EHR, ANA or Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever, we recommend either Arthimaxx, a liquid for their food, GlyoFlex I, II, or III Ieither chewables or pills) or Cosequin. Good luck!
to all of you. Do you use Frontline plus monthly? If you do, and have never missed a month, you may be able to contact the company (forget if it's Meriel or Pfizer) and they may pay your bills. Discuss this with your vet.
No I use Advantix (I know I am misspelling it).

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: Liljah
Originally Posted By: JenM66....Do you use Frontline plus monthly? If you do, and have never missed a month, you may be able to contact the company (forget if it's Meriel or Pfizer) and they may pay your bills. Discuss this with your vet.
No I use Advantix (I know I am misspelling it).
I don't think there is any guarantee with either Frontline or Advantix.
They aren't fool proof.

In the link in my signature, there is a place where you can sign up for the "tick list", if you are interested. There is also more info at both of the links about tick disease.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I am betting that your vet used a SNAP3 or SNAP4 test. The C6 test, which is used to monitor the progression of lyme and it's treatment, can only be done by IDEXX. And the concern without a full panel is whether there are coinfections with any other tick diseases. Hopefully a full blood panel was run (chem and cbc) to check for any abnormalities.

Most vets aren't that well-versed in the treatment of tick disease.

The amount of doxy given is 5 mg/lb *twice* a day, for at least 21 days, if you want to kick it the first time. That would be almost 500 mg of doxy twice a day. You can start lower and increase, since it can be difficult on the digestive tract. Most vets don't give a high enough dose, for long enough.

Since he was diagnosed so quickly after the limp began, it is absolutetly encouraging!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vet was worried how Shane digestive tract may react, so he started him on 100 milligrams 5x's a day. He said, if we don't see a change within 3 days, then he will send out the second vial of blood he has for further testing. This is the third day, and I can see a small change, but nothing drastic, when he walks he is adding more weight, not limping as much, but the moment he is sitting he will lift his paw up, so I think we might need further testing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
There may not be guarantees - and the company may not compensate, but it may well be worth a discussion with the Vet. A few years ago, my horse had an allergic reaction to a rabies vaccine, which required an emergency Vet visit and medications. I jokingly wondered if we shouldn't make the pharmaceutical company pay for it all and was surprised when the Vet replied that this was not a bad idea. He did submit it to the company and they actually paid! I learned also there had been other horses in our area having such reactions. Wasn't sure what I felt about it at first, but then decided this was a great way to drive a message back that might be heard better than a complaint e-mail.

Martie

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: LiljahThe vet was worried how Shane digestive tract may react, so he started him on 100 milligrams 5x's a day. He said, if we don't see a change within 3 days, then he will send out the second vial of blood he has for further testing. This is the third day, and I can see a small change, but nothing drastic, when he walks he is adding more weight, not limping as much, but the moment he is sitting he will lift his paw up, so I think we might need further testing.
Is the doxy given with food each time? I would never give doxy away from food.

Right now you are giving half the recommended dose, so you may not see the dramatic response that you normally might.

I would have IDEXX run a C6 test to get a level. Then down the road, you have something to compare it too. Info about the C6 can be found down on this page:

http://blackgsd.googlepages.com/tests

1 - 12 of 12 Posts