German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we're at our business during the day, Maisey listens well, behaves like a dream puppy, plays nicely, and is the goodwill ambassador for everyone who comes in and out of our place. It's gotten to the point where customers come by just to see Maisey if they are in the area!

But when we get home, Maisey the dream girl disappears and she seems to conveniently forget everything she knew earlier in the day. She won't listen or obey any commands except SIT, and that she will do when and if she pleases.

In both places, she has ample toys, plenty of attention, lots of treats, food and water, etc. I've noticed that at the office, training her is much easier because she is focused there; at home, she is too easily distracted by the cats, the birds she can see outside, the toys she didn't get to play with during the day, the sound of my husband talking on the phone, etc. Basically, anything and everything becomes a distraction at home even though she hears, sees, and smells a heck of a lot more at the office all day long.

What am I doing wrong here that is making Maisey so different between the two places? Obviously, I have more time at home to focus on training and need to do more of it there than I can at the office (I do some there when I am able, but it's not as much as I would like to). Unfortunately, I can't hold Maisey's attention at home long enough to accomplish anything.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I think she is just too tired after a day at the office for her to be able to focus when back home. At three months, she still has the attention span of a gnat! Puppies need to sleep a lot, she may not get enough sleep during the day, and is overtired when you get home. Puppies, just like toddlers, will act out and can have tantrums and 'bad' behaviour when overtired. They do not have enough self-awareness to recognize that they are tired, and do not have the self-discipline to put themselves down for a nap when they need to nap.

I would implement a nap time routine during the day. And hour in the morning and afternoon, in her crate, away from all the activity, in addition to giving her the opportunity to just go and nap whenever she feels like it.

Since her home environment seems to be more novel, give her time to just get used to it without making too many demands on her. I don't think you are doing anything wrong with her, she is just being a 3 month old puppy that is overstimulated on a daily basis.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I think she is just too tired after a day at the office for her to be able to focus when back home. At three months, she still has the attention span of a gnat! Puppies need to sleep a lot, she may not get enough sleep during the day, and is overtired when you get home. Puppies, just like toddlers, will act out and can have tantrums and 'bad' behaviour when overtired. They do not have enough self-awareness to recognize that they are tired, and do not have the self-discipline to put themselves down for a nap when they need to nap.

I would implement a nap time routine during the day. And hour in the morning and afternoon, in her crate, away from all the activity, in addition to giving her the opportunity to just go and nap whenever she feels like it.

Since her home environment seems to be more novel, give her time to just get used to it without making too many demands on her. I don't think you are doing anything wrong with her, she is just being a 3 month old puppy that is overstimulated on a daily basis.
I agree, definitely implement a nap time if you haven't already

Delgado was the type of puppy I had to force to nap otherwise he'd just run until he literally dropped. Once he was in a routine his overall attitude improved as did his attention span

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I agree w/ both Castlemaid and Shade. If you want to do training with her at home you might want to make sure she has some down time at the office or do the training at the office now and let home be free time. Have to say pups who are tired are exactly like little kids who are, tired cranky and headstrong.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Probably tired. I hope dogs don't get multiple personalities. Fiona is a nut right now, because my mom is visiting with Gilda, Fiona's sister. Fiona only has eyes for Gilda and wants to play 24/7. Crazy pups. My nice calm service dog is gone.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How funny that so many of your comments made the comparison between a puppy and a toddler because I've been telling my daughter that Maisey often behaves like my grandson, who will be two in a couple of months!

I'm beginning to think that my "do no harm" fears are starting to get the better of me, LOL! I know cats and can read them like the proverbial book. I bred and showed cats and have had them all my life. Dogs, I'm discovering, are vastly different animals and that maybe I just need to stop worrying that I'm "messing her up" because I don't know about dogs and learn along with her. . .

Ok, now I'll try to stuff the Type A personality in the closet and leave it there for a while :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts