German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our pup since she was 7 weeks old, and she has been 'taught' to go to the toilet in our bathroom with a puppy mat on the floor. As we live in a flat at the moment (soon to move!) we wern't able to go straight outside with the eliminating.

She is able to go outside on Thursday with all her vaccinations up to date.

My question is how do we transfer her to outside elimination successfully? Should we simply close the door to the bathroom and start from scratch? Or should we leave the door open and attempt to catch all toileting before it happens and take her outside?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Unfortuneately, you've now done a great job of teaching your puppy to toilet in the house and are a bit behind the ball on the 'oh oh oh, NOW indoors is not right.... you need to potty outside (yes, it was right yesterday and you were a good dog, but now............not so good :) )

I'd get the mat off the floor and definitely close that door. And your going to have to start again with the going outside with the puppy every few hours (how old is hte pup now) so you can have the puppy party outside to help with the teaching.

I'm guessing you aren't from the USA (could you do a huge favor and add your GENERAL location to your User CP, up top in the narrow black stripe) cause crate training is ideal. Could you use a crate?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately there wasn't any other option; we couldn't risk her going outside as she hadn't been fully vaccinated and we are in a block of flats.

She is now just over 11 weeks old, fully vaccinated and is ready to face the world.

We have been crate training her since day 1, but she only goes in there if we go out or when its bed time! Because I work, she can be in there for like 3 hours, so when I'm back she has the rest of the day with me which is where the fun (not!) begins.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Clean the bathroom thoroughly with white vinegar and water and close the bathroom door and start from scratch. Keep her leashed, crated or gated in the room with you when you're inside. When she does go outside praise her like crazy.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Shouldn't be too big of a problem. You'll just have to go through potty training again. Definitely close the door for the time being and watch for him pacing, waiting, by the door, could mean he's ready go. Keep him out of the bathroom until he is well trained and used to going outside.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great thanks for your help again people. We are moving early January so hopefully by then she will learn to go outside!

Will there be many stress issues with the move?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Since she is so young and is moving with the current owners I don't think it would be too stressful. As with any change keep it fun and exciting for her...play, treats, etc and should be no big deal at all.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Unfortunately there wasn't any other option; we couldn't risk her going outside as she hadn't been fully vaccinated and we are in a block of flats.

She is now just over 11 weeks old, fully vaccinated and is ready to face the world.
So she hasn't been outside at all since she's been with you?
If so you have to get outside with her quickly to socialize her and get her used to everything that goes on outside or potty training could be the least of your problems!
It's not the end of the world, many people buy puppies from pet stores that don't see the light of day for months but those aren't ideal conditions to properly socialize a dog which could lead to issues like fear, anxiety and aggression.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So she hasn't been outside at all since she's been with you?
If so you have to get outside with her quickly to socialize her and get her used to everything that goes on outside or potty training could be the least of your problems!
It's not the end of the world, many people buy puppies from pet stores that don't see the light of day for months but those aren't ideal conditions to properly socialize a dog which could lead to issues like fear, anxiety and aggression.
Oh no, she's been outside and on a leash even experiencing the taste of snow! We kept it to the carpark only which is directly outside our flat. She has experienced cars, huge articulate lorries and has had a session at a puppy class whilst on our knees. We regularly have friends and family of all ages and sizes (not young children yet unfortunatly) around our house. Her official puppy socialization class starts on 6th January for 8 weeks.

Her first walk is just before xmas eve so she's got a nice prezzie lined up!

We will be taking her to the park from now on too before the classes begin.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Oh ok, so that's not so bad. If she's trained to walk over to the pad to potty, you can hang the pad around a bell on your doorknob... When she goes to sniff at it, hopefully she rings the bell with her nose and that is your signal to take her outside. When she pees outside, give her lots of praise.
Some people think of it as a setback in potty training to paper train first but you can consider it advanced bell training :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh ok, so that's not so bad. If she's trained to walk over to the pad to potty, you can hang the pad around a bell on your doorknob... When she goes to sniff at it, hopefully she rings the bell with her nose and that is your signal to take her outside. When she pees outside, give her lots of praise.
Some people think of it as a setback in potty training to paper train first but you can consider it advanced bell training :)
Well she's trained to walk to the toilet area; I'm not convinced she knows 100% that its the pad she's supposed to do it on but the problem we have (and I can't wait for this bit to be over) is the grabbing and ripping of the pad when its down. So obviously when she's going mad I tend to pick that up off the floor.

My other concern that the pad dangling will just be an invitation to jump up and make it her next victim! I suppose if it was high enough that'd be the goal?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts