German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am big into positive reinforcement. I don't hit my dogs. The most dramatic I've gotten is smacking a newspaper against my leg to catch their attention if they've done or are doing something REALLY bad & are not listening.

Today in class, my puppy's trainer popped her on the nose with her hand. Layla is 8 months old, testing boundaries and can be both stubborn AND pushy. She wasn't doing anything particularly outrageous, just not going along with the game plan. I have never touched this dog in a punishing way -- never. She is very sensitive to being reprimanded by voice (I have a really funny video somewhere on here that shows this). Both Layla and I were taken aback. What I really hated was to see Layla's reaction -- she was really confused and didn't want to go near the trainer again. Her face looked like, "Enough of THIS...that hurt!"

I told the trainer I'd take over from there. It was clear she had ruined the dog wanting to be near her, violated the trust that had been built up, and Layla was done working with her.

Am I overreacting because she's my little baby? Or was this way out of line? The trainer later alluded to Layla being a tad spoiled. Well, she is, yes. Not quite sure that's the way to "cure" it, though.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I would have reacted by popping my trainer in the face, personally.

You're not overreacting at all. I don't lay a hand on my dogs, there's no way some stranger is going to.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I agree. Just because the trainer uses other methods doesn't mean she should use them on YOUR dog.
Find a different trainer, ASAP. A good trainer will use the methods you are comfortable with, not 'bop' YOUR dog on the nose on a whim.

And this is from someone who believes in Come to Jesus Meetings...

·
Registered
212 Posts
The trainer you picked doesn't know a **** thing on how to train dogs. Take your dog elsewhere or do it on your own. For petes sake, she's still a puppy! Puppy's are very unruly and don't want to do some things, I know cause my 5 month old is going to classes now and I'm about a half hr he's bored and wants to leave, hitting a dog gets you nowhere with training.
You are NOT overeacting at all.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I won't say I've never bopped a dog on the nose, but it's pretty much only been when they bite my hand as a knee-jerk reaction to the pain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am big into positive reinforcement. I don't hit my dogs. The most dramatic I've gotten is smacking a newspaper against my leg to catch their attention if they've done or are doing something REALLY bad & are not listening.

I told the trainer I'd take over from there. It was clear she had ruined the dog wanting to be near her, violated the trust that had been built up, and Layla was done working with her.

Am I overreacting because she's my little baby? Or was this way out of line? The trainer later alluded to Layla being a tad spoiled. Well, she is, yes. Not quite sure that's the way to "cure" it, though.
Yes the trainer was out of line. Yes you are overreacting. I suspect the dog would have recovered and went on with the training being very attentive to the trainer. You admit your dog is spoiled. Start there and stop spoiling your little baby.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I have never ever seen a trainer at our obedience club use a hand to correct or punish a dog. In fact, the first night of classes they say they don't want to see an owner hit or physically punish their dog. It's simply not tolerated.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I would have reacted by popping my trainer in the face, personally.

You're not overreacting at all. I don't lay a hand on my dogs, there's no way some stranger is going to.
This.

I then would of taken my dog, walked out, got in my car and found a new trainer. :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well, was it a tap or did she really smack her? I don't ever hit my dogs, but sometimes I give them a tap on the nose with a "leave it" if they try to nose in on my food.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Yes the trainer was out of line. Yes you are overreacting. I suspect the dog would have recovered and went on with the training being very attentive to the trainer. You admit your dog is spoiled. Start there and stop spoiling your little baby.
Have you ever worked with a correction-sensitive dog? My GSD is now fear aggressive as a result of the VET manhandling him too rough. This would have no doubt gotten a bite from him. Dogs DON'T always recover from this, and they shouldn't have to.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I have no problems with a hand correction when it's needed. I do have a problem with your trainer doing it though. If your dog needed one, you should have been the one doing it. As it did happen, you should have been unsympathetic to your dog and then immediately praised her for stopping whatever she was doing.

It sounds like your dog is spoiled and doesn't listen and your trainer is getting frustrated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have no problems with a hand correction when it's needed. I do have a problem with your trainer doing it though. If your dog needed one, you should have been the one doing it. As it did happen, you should have been unsympathetic to your dog and then immediately praised her for stopping whatever she was doing.

It sounds like your dog is spoiled and doesn't listen and your trainer is getting frustrated.
Well this sounds as if a new thread should be started: How many owners slap their dogs?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I know exactly how you feel! It wasn't a trainer that hit Wolfie, but a perfect stranger who fancied herself a trainer that did it. I was taken aback as well. I wouldn't use that trainer anymore if I were you.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Wonder how the parents on this board would feel about a teacher smacking their child's bottom in front of them? Regardless of the child's behavior, it is not the place of the teacher to lay hands on your child.

I know that dogs are not children, but I see a lot of similarities between the two scenarios.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I remember my cousin taking me to a trainer somewhere near the Woodlands down here in Tx. The trainer specialty was to train labradors to retrieve things for hunting. I saw him taking a shotgun shell and scraping or piercing against the dog ear or something. It looks painful, but I didn't see the dog yelp or anything.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
#1 I wouldn't let a trainer take my dogs leash or have control over it
#2 even if the dog is a bit "spoiled" a nose pop is not going to do anything other than causing distrust.

An 8 month old is usually not into training as they were at 6 months so you have to step up with the engagement and keeping it fun. Too bad trainers get so impatient instead of letting the dog mature a bit more.

Have you ever worked with a correction-sensitive dog? My GSD is now fear aggressive as a result of the VET manhandling him too rough. This would have no doubt gotten a bite from him. Dogs DON'T always recover from this, and they shouldn't have to.
I find this interesting as I remember you had a thread on your dog being labeled by a vet of being aggressive. You adamantly denied it and blasted the vet and clinic...now you do say your dog has fear aggression?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can you describe "correction-sensitive"? Maybe you can describe the '"manhandling" vet and how it damaged your dog as well.

In terms of recovery, I'm assuming that the dog was not physically harmed or suffered long-term psychological/emotional damage due to a single "pop on the nose." In which case, the dog might have been able to refocus with the work and continue with the training.

With the new information, about the manhandling vet transforming your dog into a fear aggressive canine, It seems like there may be more issues involved with your dog than this one particular training event.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts