German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought I'd be doing this but we will be spending two nights in a tent with our dog.

We have a 30 foot trailer, but it is really only set up for two, or very close friends. Besides it it a pain in the butt to make up/take down the two guest beds.

We've invited friends camping with us, friends who have never been camping and they have a dog. Dakota likes this dog, but I'm a little bit concerned that she may not like sleeping in the trailer with the dog and since I will not be in the same "room" I will not be able to keep watch. Bringing her kennel will not work as once the two guest beds are made up there is no room for it. I will not let her sleep outside by herself but I could let her sleep in the back of the Jeep, and she probably would be ok. I'm not 100% comfortable with this option. We have a seperate bedroom, but it is really too small for her with no place to sleep, so that is out of the question. I'm not really sure if our friend's sheltie, who, is on the large side, could even sleep there.

So my solution is to borrow my son's brand new tent, allow my friends to have the queen size bed and basicaly the whole trailer, and Dakota, my husband and myself to sleep in the tent. This is not a big deal to us as we used to tent it. I'm not telling my friends the plan as they may be upset that we are giving up our trailer for them. Beleive me that it is better that we sleep in the tent, as they are more of the 'where is the room service" type, lol, and even though we camp in style and comfort, this is ruffing it for them.

So my question is, since it is a brand new tent, he is a bit concerned that her nails might damage the floor. I have a footprint for under the tent and am planning on using an old sheet for the inside and think I have it covered. What are your experiences with the tent floor (it's a nylon floor).

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
do you have any of those outdoor carpets that ppl put under their pop up shade tent? One of those would protect the tent floor

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Before I bought my little camper, I did the tent thing with two dogs. (non-gsd) Their nails didn't bother the floor one little bit.

If you're using an air mattress, you may want to put a nice heavy blanket or something on it. It'll be more "delicate" than the tent floor.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
We do the tent camping, although haven't been lucky enough to go since the pups moved in.

Even with the ground cloth, I noticed that over time, things like roots, etc (you know those things that wasn't there when you set the tent up lol) can rub the floor thin looking in areas. We do plan on camping with the dogs beginning this fall, and have already gotten a couple of those furniture moving pads to give some layers of protection to the floor and make a good surface for the dogs to stretch out on.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Off Topic Suggestion

Off topic...

If you have the chance to get towards Florida for camping, absolute best park for camping. In the fall especially, you may have the WHOLE beach to yourself, plus the last 2/3 of the peninsula is wilderness and GREAT for hiking and more beach.

Saint Joseph State Park

1 - 6 of 6 Posts