German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
328 Posts
Jaxon has had his moments. But honestly, I remember Lukas being much more of a hellion. That dog tortured me when he was younger. He was the most mouthy puppy ever and tore a hole in several of my clothes and arms. Now you would have never known it.
I feel really lucky that Jaxon has never destroyed anything and has never mouthed at me just boneheadedness. His worst habbit is having NO reguard for personal boundaries at the most inapropriate times. Lmao :p

· Registered
59 Posts
Goose will be 1.5 years in a few weeks...and I STILL feel like he's in this "teenage" stage. I got him at 8 months old and it's been a learning experience for me on training him, so I take some fault. He WAS the boss of his home when I got him and his previous owner let him do WHATEVER he wanted. So I am sure it was a adjustment for him to suddenly have rules. I love him, but he really does wear on me. I really hope he moves past this stage soon!!!

Good luck to all that need it! (boy do I need it!)

· Banned
5,125 Posts
Yeah, we started Rooney in beginner class at 6 months old (he had puppy class before that) and up until 8 months of age or so he was awesome. Then came the butthead stage when he would know what I wanted but wouldn't do it anyways. The "come" story brings back memories. But it was all worth it in the end, he does everything I ask for now at 15 months old. Just gotta get through a few months of this!

· Registered
1 Posts
My Macee is 6 1/2 months old and has lost all memory to 'drop it' 'come' and 'sit' she was beginning to ignore 'leave it' but has recently gotten re-aquainted with it as I now practically scream it to back her off my 6 year old doxy who got irritated at her 'licks' across the face and snapped at her and Macee grabbed her by the neck and pulled her off the couch! two puncture holes in my doxy's neck gave me quite the scare! Now when Macee gets close to her or tries to stand over her I yell 'Leave It' and she backs off instantly! She knows she went too far and mommy got upset! Boundaries are VERY IMPORTANT at this age!

· Registered
1,093 Posts
Rocco just turned 10 months. He is worse than a teenager. He knows all his commands really well. He doesn't always follow though. He too will go into the bathroom and take something out of the trash (we have to be very careful to keep the door closed). He too steals socks and other things he's not supposed to "eat" and makes me chase him all around the house for about 15-20 minutes!! He too wants to constantly bother the cats, and whines when I tell him "no". He too wants to jump on me and play with me (biting and pulling). How long does the teenage stage last?

· Registered
63 Posts
9 months

My youngest GSD Kobi, is almost 7 months old. He is also an expert thief. He has major separation issues and is now barking at everything and everyone. One of his favorite tricks is to take his paw and close the computer (which he is trying to do now). He is full of energy, we are constantly walking, hiking or training (something that I must admit I do not do enough of). I can't wait until he is a bit calmer but I love him.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
Since we already have a 13 yr old daughter I do not want a teenaged GSD too!!! Two teen girls in the same house at the same time :eek: no thank you!!!

We are trying to keep Nita busy so she hopefully makes it through her teenage phase as quickly and easily as possible (for all of us)!

· Registered
2,394 Posts
I feel your pain. Jas is still in her teenage years and Xerx is now going into this faze but we will overcome. ( Is that a song?) I don't and never will give up my pets. I don't care what they do. I will buy more or fix it. I will train harder. I don't give up my children.

· Registered
15 Posts
I can't tell you all how thankful I am to read this... Leo is 10 months old and the last 2 months have been hard. My normally calm and sweet boy has become a hormonal, goofy, slightly aggressive terror at the park in certain situations and all of my hard earned commands seem to be "forgotten". Since dad is in a long travel spell, I am about ready to throw in the towel after a few weeks of being primary caretaker on top of my stressful job. But I agree with everyone else who says they will not give up on their pup. We we decided to get Leo, we make a decision that he was our boy until the end. Love these pups!

· Registered
1,093 Posts
It's a very difficult stage... Don't give up, it'll pass quicker than you think. You may even find yourself missing it one day...maybe. I've missed all of Rocco's stages at times.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

· Registered
8 Posts
Count just turned 7 months and he really is a great dog. He gets ton of exercise each day and he's pretty mellow (besides his obsession for his tennis balls, of course!) My only concern is the fact that he barks at pretty much EVERYONE. Any stranger on the sidewalk, at tractor supply, the pet store, even when people first walk in the house. He does his fearful alerting bark and all of his hackles go up. (the bark is so low and loud that it would be scary to someone that doesn't know him) Only once a brave soul actually continues to walk up and pet him will he calm down. It's just frustrating because I have socialized him and have taken him everywhere from the moment I got him and he's never had this issue, not until just recently. He also has never had a negative experience to fuel this. It sucks because people that don't understand the breed look at him out of fear and it just adds to the negative stereotype when he is really such an amazing friendly dog. Is this a phase? is anyone else going through this? any training tips? Much appreciated!

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm glad I found this this thread... Maggie just turned 8 1/2 months. She refused to come back to me. I had to get a friend to bring their dog over so that she would come to me. If I had my Glock on me, I probably would have shot her!

· Registered
6,251 Posts
My pup must have been an early bloomer since she was only 5 months old the first time she looked right at me and refused to recall! She did this repeatedly, in different circumstances while out and about off leash, for about a month and a half. But since then she's decided to behave perfectly. Judging by these stories though, I can't help thinking I'm still in for another round at some point...she just turned 1 yr old >:)

· Registered
5 Posts
So glad I found this too. My 11 month old has been driving me absolutely insane. Seems like he's completely lost his brain some days and I'm ready to rehome him (not really but I tell him that), and then he is great other days. Glad to hear it gets better!

· Registered
127 Posts
Xena...Xena Xena she is being a pain at times. One minute she's loving the next she's stealing the ball out of my pocket and laughing as she runs away lol. She is a hoot, and there are times I'm wondering if either of us will survive. My trainer thinks she's will grow into a great dog; he says he can see and he's trained a lot of dogs. At times I see it in her at other times I don't know what she is.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.