German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else's dog do it? My pup Riley mainly does it with men. Joseph says when I'm at school and when he gets home from work Riley will be so excited and will pee on himself when he walks through the door. It's not because he's been in the house that long, not even 2 hours cause I go to school like an hour and a half before the love gets home. Also, when my parents come up to visit Riley does it with my dad as well. Pees everywhere and on himself! My dad's a big guy though 6'4'' 300 pounds so I don't know if it's the size that gets to Riley, even though he loves my dad. I haven't had a puppy that does the submissive peeing but I know it's common in small dogs. Do you think this is something that he will do into adulthood or grow out of it?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
IGNORE the pup when arriving back in the house. Completely.

Then take him outdoors to empty and say hello.

It does get better, but WE also have to get better with how we manage them. If situations come up that are just TOO EXCITING for them.... leakage will occur. So when we recognize these situations and prevent or control them there is alot less to clean up!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh just recently stopped doing the same thing when we went to the vet. He loves everybody there and doesn't do it until the vet touches him which is odd since there are 2 female and 1 male vet. He's 11 mos old and yesterday was the first time he didn't do it, so he does seem to have outgrown it. We'll see. I agree with the last post, we never have greeted or said goodbye to our dogs, just unlatched the kennel and let them out and after they've peed we have contact, but even then it's not a big excited greeting. You might want to start crating him when you're gone and practice that at least for a while until he outgrows it

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had this problem with my boxer, I would come home and greet him the totally wrong way....I was too excited and he wasn't in a crate. SO from some good advise I crated him before I left and when I got home I would ignore him for however long it took for him to calm down, then I would go and kneel by the crate and wait till he would sit on his own, no talking just waited. It worked for me and I think ignoring him will help a lot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Our pup had this problem, I did what was said above, completely ignore the dog whenever a new person is meeting, even better do it outside somewhere, and be sure to continue ignoring her until she is calm, then praise, treats, and allow her to greet the person.

It took a few weeks but her peeing stopped, she is not acknowledged in any way now unless she is not only calm, but remains in the lay down position with her head resting on the floor. If she remains there calmly without whining or wagging, then I allow her to move to the sit position, where she can be greeted by the person, I do not allow her to walk up to any new person, people get scared of her size and energy alot and it only makes the situation worse.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i don't know if mine is submissive peeing but when we rough house he will sometimes leave a squiggly trail

·
Registered
156 Posts
that sounds just like puppy excitement. Nothing you can really do there make sure you dont make a big deal out of it when it happens, you don't want her to tie a response to the behavior.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Our lab was an excited pee-er until he was a little over one. He did it every time we came in the door right in his crate and it was definitely frustrating but stopped with maturity. Of course never get mad or punish him he really can't help it. One thing we did is ask our guests to give us the heads up before they knocked on the door so we could put him outside. Then we would have our guests go out back to say hi so when he leaked it was at least outdoors. Other than that it's just a waiting game- most do grow out of it naturally:)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
We had the issue but have greatly reduced it with our approach. When I let ours out of the cage I come to it sidewise and then wait for the calm once calm I let her out and then say lets go outside. I don't touch, I don't talk in a excited voice (I don't really talk at all), then we get outside and pee. I also make sure that when I tell her to come I never grab her collar or get excited with her I just ask for a come and then treat. It has really helped.

My husband which can make her pee in a sec when he tells her to come just ignores her when he comes in the house. If she is running toward him he will turn sideways. This takes away any dominant energy that he may be showing her. Leaning over a dog also can cause it too so don't have them lean over the dog to pet them. It is better to go sideways, kneel down and let the dog come to them and once their butt is planted on the ground or they are laying down and calm pet them.

It takes time it is all about us and our approach. We have greatly reduced the submissive peeing since we have had her.

·
Registered
386 Posts
that sounds just like puppy excitement. Nothing you can really do there make sure you dont make a big deal out of it when it happens, you don't want her to tie a response to the behavior.
yeah i don't even acknowledge it... i know it was literally an accident so i just let it be... other than that he is completely potty trained (unless i don't hear him whining next to the door...) thank god its linoleum, but even then i don't acknowledge it since it was my fault

·
Registered
386 Posts
We had the issue but have greatly reduced it with our approach. When I let ours out of the cage I come to it sidewise and then wait for the calm once calm I let her out and then say lets go outside. I don't touch, I don't talk in a excited voice (I don't really talk at all), then we get outside and pee.
i must be one lucky guy, whenever i put my pup in the cage for either night time, alone time, or gone away time he just looks at me with that **** eyed face and i just let him come out, he has never gotten excited to get out of the cage... now once out of the cage is a different story LOL

·
Registered
156 Posts
thats very good. The trick really is to make sure the pup is calm calm calm. When you get her excited, well it might happen, but I can't say dont do it, sounds like you are having fun with her. Bu with people, the pup should not get to greet until she is absolutely calm. It will help prevent her from being a jumper too, people like calm dogs, which makes it even easier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We just brought home a 12 week old male. He pees every time I touch him. I am not sure if he is too scared of the stairs and that causes it or when I am praising him for doing well if that is too much for him.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
We just brought home a 12 week old male. He pees every time I touch him. I am not sure if he is too scared of the stairs and that causes it or when I am praising him for doing well if that is too much for him.
Sometimes it is hard to tell whether it is submissive or excitement peeing because they are often being both at the same time. They usually grow out of it fairly quickly, especially when we do all the things mentioned above. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts