German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emma just graduated from puppy college - now on to basic. Dad is proud:D:D:D

During graduation she did her tricks flawlessly - fetch, Shake, and give me 10 (that where she is asked to jump up and give me both paws. her walk was also flawless (God only know why:D)

So the group got to talking about the next basic class coming up in a couple of weeks and the trainer mentioned do not get alarmed by the stubborn stage the pups would soon be going through.. Per her, that's where the dog will look at you, say WTF and go on their way - we all laughed.

Well Emma appears to be entering this stage, forgetting everything she has learned and doing her own thing. She pulls on her leash, wont come, gets reluctant to do any tricks, etc - like a defiant teenager (after raising 2 I should know:crazy::eek::D)

I don't want to do any harm to the trust, but sometimes I feel as if I am loosing it, especially on walks - she is a real handful now (tempted to get a pronged collar) Im not young and she has actually pulled me off balance where I have fallen (partly my fault for not paying attention) She wanted to run up and meet another dog (at least she was not running away:))

Thoughts on this situation.

BTW her socialization is going very well. she is liking folks a lot better, and is actually playing in the puppy social. At Home Depot she actually seemed to have fun meeting people, even kids (done under very close supervision and used as a training for the kid on how to approach a new dog) I had treats for the kids to give her, She gave the little girl - 4 - a lot of kisses :wub:

So how do I handle the stubborn stage - put her back on the leash every time she goes out, get the pronged collar (pinches only when pressure is applied) - she loves running around the fenced yard playing games with herself and I would hate to restrict that.

She is also teething. Just over 5 months now too.

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Welcome! My pup started this, but luckily lasted until 6-7 months before becoming a total turd. They just are trying to test you and see what they can get away with (just like a human teen). I've been reinforcing what he does know. If I say sit, he has to sit, etc. He did have more freedom, in both the yard and house, but since he started being a butthead, I've gone back to putting him on leash. Sucks for him, but freedom and privileges are earned, so until he starts behaving in those situations, he doesn't get the freedom to misbehave. Just like an 8 week old pup, he's back to crated when we're not watching, supervised in the yard and potties on leash (we had him going on a specific spot and on command, now he thinks he can go where ever and can play in the yard first. Wouldn't mind, but before bed, I just want him to go.) Once he starts listening more, he'll gain back his freedom little by little. Hope it goes by quickly though! For you and me both! I swear I've seen him roll his eyes at me...

Also, you won't harm her trust, but you do need to keep/gain her respect for her to listen. I'm a tiny female and since my pup is 7mo, I didn't want to use the prong (and he normally walks pretty decently) so I got a easy walk harness. If we're out I carry it and if he walks nicely, it stays off. If he is a butthead, it goes on. His choice based on his behavior. Just like his other privileges.

One other thing, if she likes playing in the yard, maybe use that as a reward after she behaved or finished a training session? That way it's on your terms, but she still has her fun time?

I just keep repeating to myself....'this too shall pass....'

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
the "stubborn stage" is the same as the "i'm not training enough stage",
"i'm not being consistent in training stage", "i'm not training correctly stage". when you train enough, train consistently and train correctly
you'll find your pup going through the "i'm learning stage".

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doggiedad, jessac

Thanks so much

She has already learned that miss-behave has its downside. No chew bone, I ignore ( NILIF) and no treats :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That got her attention :D

We had a good training session a few minutes ago, but it took some effort. Ended with a good long soft wrestling match ( Daddy always wins) I really enjoy these on the floor - builds a lot of trust on the mouthing too.

I can also tell she is hurting on the teething. Se lost 2 K9's today. Can I give her anything? Cant call the vet until tomorrow.

She did better on the potty too, but I rewarded with a treat on the come.

All thoughts are welcome - Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Try freezing rolled, wet rags for her to chew. You can also freeze rope toys like that, or give ice chips. I also gave Fleury frozen banana slices and frozen strawberries. For meds, you'd have to speak to vet. I think just numbing helps though.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
never heard of a puppy class that does parlour tricks with the dog ???
that is the time and age when manners in walking should have been prioritized . All things in motion first . RECALLS and heeling .

"put her back on the leash every time she goes out, get the pronged collar " NO .

Does the dog understand what you want of her?

You have to be 100% consistent .

·
Registered
234 Posts
Jaeger is almost at a year and he sometimes refuses to obey my partner. I don't know what it is about her but he tends to test her in ways he just doesn't with me. They all love her but somehow once in awhile Jaeger gets the idea that maybe he should be ahead of her in the pecking order. Last night Jaeger wouldn't come in from the yard when she called him, just ignored her. But when I went to the door and said his name --BOOM --he came right in.

Teenage butthead!

I know he loves her . . .he's sleeping next to her on the bed right now. I think he just sees her as softer than I am. I tend to be more commanding with my commands, if you know what I mean.

Oh, it was so funny today, though. Tam was cross with the dogs about some little thing and Jaeger ran in the house and into his kennel. Paynter ran in and proceeded to try and stuff himself into the kennel as well. I was afraid for a minute Jaeger would get mad at him because no way is that box big enough for two, but he was just like "i KNOW, we're in trouble, get IN here!" :D:D:D They came out when they heard me laughing so hard I couldn't talk, lol.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Avery is 18 months and between 12 - 14 months he went through something similar. Those two months were awful, we would finish training at the club and just cry out of frustration for how naughty he had been. I'm so glad he's out grown it for the most part, every so often he looses his pretty little brain and doesn't listen but a quick correction and we are back on track.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I called them his "stinker stages" though they were brief and short lived (not by his choice ;)) I upped the training and exercise so he was too tired to think about being a stinker for long lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
never heard of a puppy class that does parlour tricks with the dog ???
It was part of her training method. We did concentrate on the basics, but she wanted us to add something fun in to our training. I think this was to show we were actually working with our dogs. I taught Emma the high 10 to keep her from jumping on me. This way she gets to jump in a controlled manner placing the paws in my hands and not on my body. I taught the shake as a method to meat new people. When they come up I ask her to shake - folks seem to enjoy that.

Examples of her puppy training - food aggression and leave it. We were to make our dogs sit and stay until released as we put the food bowl down. We were also to practice picking the food bowl up, or have our dog give us their bone or toy on command. ( I only had one bad event with Emma and a bone, but after always good) In class we put a treat on the floor in front of the dog, made them sit and wait to get it. Also practiced Leave it by walking by the treat.

This class was for dogs under 6 months too. She also had homework on socializing - we were to take our dog to 2 new locations each week and take notes on beheavior for us to discus in class

The next class takes the training to a much different level.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts