German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so drove 3 hours to some gsd shindig, people with loud suits everywhere. put the dog on nylon collar and flexi-leash and walked into the joint, i swear folks took more notice of my leash & collar than my dog. i got asked by head honcho lady (why is it always women that organise and run these things) to use a real leash and lose the flexi, was my dog out of control - no, i asked why for? i didn't bring another leash (i love the flexi-leash), she said "well a woman in america lost her fingers using a flexi-leash" and that they "look unprofessional" and "we project a proffesional image at this club". i'm like gee, a lady in america lost her fingers and then raised both hands (palms in) wriggled my fingers and less than subtley lowered all except the middle fingers on each hand.

thought it wasn't going anywhere productive so bundled dog in truck and i guess the bleeding heart guy in the club followed me out and said hey nice dog why don't you come back in and pulled out a flat 6 foot leather leash and said here you can use this. i looked at his bright red safari suit and said thanks man but i don't think this is my scene and left.

i got to thinking that there is a social hierachy re leashes and collars that goes something like;

top of the social ladder you have the round braided from natural fibres of highly endangered tree-climbing jungle mountain camels favoured by the high falutin save the rainforest types in a fat white people join my religion and i will give you a free television set - oh you don't have electricity how cute condescending kind of way.

followed by the hand-made by amish fifth generation puppy millers flat 6 foot leather leash crowd

below that and a looooong way below that is the standard white trash nylon leash

and at the botom of the ladder is the flexi-lead crowd

so what's up with the flexi-lead to attract such scorn of the cool kids, i think they are the greatest invention going, i love em. even designing one to work off a harness for bite-work and tracking, am i missing the point?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
The problem with the flexi lead?

An aggressive dog shot out at me and Hunter on our walk today without the owner even paying attention from across the way. The dog had all the line to get right in Hunter's face. THAT is the problem with the flexi, IMO.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I honestly can't answer your question, but I can tell you why I look down on that type of leash and their handlers.

So many people, especially with those little ankle bitters, seem to use flexi leashes and abuse them, allowing their little darlings to run with the leads fully extended regardless of the situation. I know I look down on people who use them solely because I've run into so many idiots that I just associate flexi leads with people who don't know what they're doing. So in my case, I stereo type people who use the flexi leads into one nice little package.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
fair enough but the problem with stereotyping......
I can't argue with that ... I know stereotyping is wrong BUT after being exposed to so many people who use the flexi lead indiscriminately, I've ended up a Flexi-Lead Bigot. :blush:

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyhoo cos it's ok to stereotype and be a biggot i think ALL people that use prongs/e-collars are cruel people that enjoy inflicting pain on animals and they are too lazy to learn how to actually train a dog and too physically incapable of handling the dog they got and should not be allowed to own any animal.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I use a Flexi leash when hiking. But for a big event I use a regular lead.

I don't like the Flexi in big groups or public places. Too easy to let a dog go without control.

Had I been you, I would have taken the leash and gone back in, not been offended. Someone made a friendly gesture if inclusion and I would have taken it instead if feeling slighted.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
many dog events don't allow flexi-leads on the premises because of the lack of control. Even if you are watchful, they can easily malfunction and allow the dog to take off to the full extent of the line.
Also, if the dog is farther away from you and wraps around someone else, they can cause some serious injuries.
as for all of the other leash "types" you posted, I find more that people use whatever lead fits their purpose at the time. A show lead if you are in a conformation show. A flat lead (leather is often used because it is more durable and easier on your hands than nylon).
Nylon is easy to clean and lightweight when you are grabbing something for a quick potty trip.
Slip leads are easy to slip on and off when you do an agility trial or other event that doesn't let the dog perform with a collar on for safety reasons.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
I use a flexi when hiking or at the lake. but not in public. Seen them break too many times - either the line will get worn and snap or the button breaks

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
yes mam, i'm out, loud and proud, been keeping it bottled up too long;

i, the x11 uses a flexi, let those without sin cast the first stone!!
A flexi leash is fantastic when your pup is young, to let him explore in the yard, and to teach him to come.

But over six months, there is no way you can fully keep control of the dog on one of those things. By the time you push the button, reel him in, push the button, reel him in, you lose it. It takes too long.

Even when Hans was younger, I had a few close calls with that thing, nearly cutting my flesh severely. Also, having him yank the handle right out of my hand, but this was in the yard. The handle then became a projectile, almost hitting him as it hurtled forward.

I gave it away.
When I want him to have lots of freedom, I use a 30 foot lead.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I would blame the handler, not the equipment. If the dog is trained well, no reason a flexi can't be used. It is the dog with no control which causes the problems.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I guess I'm looking at it like this, you go into this place where no one knows "you" or "your dog", and vice versa.

How do they know you are in control of your dog and not some wahoo that's walking in with their dog on a flexi who may at any moment, decide to "zing" off and hit the end of the flexi?

As you apparently didn't like them asking you to use a leash, apparently they didn't like you using a flexi.

I didnt' see it as 'stero typing' you, yet you sure threw enough insults about them.

I guess I don't see why you think it was such a big deal that they asked you to use a leash vs the flexi.

It' doesn't require much to say " I prefer using a flexi and with that I don't think this is a good fit for me", vs being a wise butt.

They probably liked you about as much as you liked them.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would blame the handler, not the equipment. If the dog is trained well, no reason a flexi can't be used. It is the dog with no control which causes the problems.

yay an enlightened member!!!

it's called T R A I N I N G

check this amazing concept; RETURN TO HEEL - RECALL

if you rely on a leash to gain control of yr dog that dog is not ready to be out in public and you will prolly go straight to the e/prong as a solution and get on forums justifying how great the e/prong is and has allowed yr dog to share more of yr life with you and they are only a tool like a hammer can be used to hammer nails or beat someones skull in - it all about how you use it blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Yeah, but this particular equipment has problems. I, too, have had one snap, and that was when I owned a Pekingese.

How can you have a dog maintain a proper heel on a leash that has constant tension and is held with one hand?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you can lock it at a fixed length and then you cannot tell the difference in effect between a flexi and a .....rigid

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You don't make the rules at their club.

If you don't like their rules start your own or move along.

Because you don't like their rules or can't adhere to them is no reason to get pissed at them.

1 - 20 of 285 Posts