German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/take-poll/278346-police-note.html

Okay here is the story. Some have seen me post on FB and some here. I have neighbors who have 5 dogs. Limit is 4 per city ordinance. The parents have 3 and the son and daughter who have moved back home this year each have a dog. The dogs bark a lot. I really do not care if they bark all day as I am at work, but I hate sitting out in the evening or on the weekend and listening to them for hours. Last year someone called ACO on them, they accused us. We said no we had been in Tulsa all day and did not know anything about this. We chatted, exchanged cell phone numbers and I promised them if I thought the dogs were a nuisance I would let them know before calling the authorities. I kind of thought we were okay on this. Many instances of dogs barking for hours on end, even being able to hear them in my house over the TV lead me to go over to speak to them. No one home. No one home next day either so I left what I thought was a polite note. I did this twice. Nothing changed. I decided it was time to call the authorities.

Let's back track a bit: We moved here in May 2009. The fence was a 3 foot broken chain link. Not adequate for any dog. So we put up a 6 ft privacy fence. We asked the neighbors if they minded even though it did not matter if they did, we were being polite. They were happy about it. or so we thought. For the next few years we kept hearing comments about the fence and the dogs. "Tham some big dawgs!" etc. I was getting my nails done and the wife was waiting her turn, she commented they were terrified of the dogs. Why? Well we put up that BIG fence, they must be mean dogs. What?? Really?

Fast forward to Monday:

I took the day off work as my sister had been visiting. She left about 1. My mother in law was moved to a nursing home last month and all her stuff was in my garage. The weather forecast was for really bad weather coming in (same system that spawned the tornados in OKC) . I wanted my car in the garage so I shoved stuff around and got it in. 6 inches to spare on either side. I took a break and grabbed a soda and went out to the yard and let the dogs out with me. The garage door was up. The man door was closed as I closed it.

I think the wind must have blown the man door open. I must not have fully closed it. I heard the neighbor yell and I looked and noticed Kayos was missing. I squeezed through the garage and saw her nosing at the neighbor's schnauzers that were loose on his lawn. KAYOS WAS OFF MY PROPERTY!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG!

However, she was wagging her tail and just doing her 'hey buddy what are you doing' thing. The neighbor screamed at me to get my dog, she was attacking his dogs. (no she was not). But I was wrong,my dog was out for the first time in 4 years living here I had a loose dog. I grabbed her and as I did he began kicking her. He kicked her til she was screaming. I apologized for her being out and got her in the house. I came back out to apologize again and to ask if his dogs were hurt. I knew they was not as it was trotting around his yard. He screamed that if he ever saw one of my dogs again he would kill them. Not seeing them loose just seeing them. I lost it. I screamed at the top of my lungs and called him an ignorant moron and a red neck. Then he screamed back he was proud of being a red neck and started thumping his chest and repeated his threat to kill my dogs. He screamed that I was harassing him because I put a note on his door about dogs barking.

It was just bad, bad, bad. I have had GSD's since 1989, we have lived in 7 homes since then and I have never had a problem with a neighbor over my dogs - ever.

I came back inside, called my hubby and he said call the police. So I did. I wanted to insure the threat was documented. The police wanted me to press charges against the guy for animal cruelty. I declined. My dog was lose, I was wrong. Did I like that he kicked her? No. Was it way over the top? Yes.

Today Kayos went to the vet as she has not been able to walk since Monday. She is on Tramadol for pain. The silver lining here is I found a very small pea sized lump in the crook of her foreleg that will be biopsied next Wednesday.

Mind you, Kayos is almost 11, very arthritic and can barely run anyway. No way she could have chased that dog that far unless she was really motivated. She has never shown dog aggression in her life. The neighbor lets his dogs out in front all the time. We have picked up poop from our lawn, taken them home when they escaped, chased them out of the our garage etc. With all the stuff in my garage I am convinced the dogs were on my driveway again. Kayos would never have seen the dogs through all the furniture and car in there unless they had been in the garage.

We are now on a war footing with the neighbor and I am sick about it. We have an alarm system and are adding security cameras to our package. If I see the neighbors dogs on my property we call the police. If I hear excessive barking we call the police. No more nice neighbor, no more notes or talking. I have log book started.

I understand protecting your dog, I will protect mine too. But she was not even trying to bite the dog and her body language was having fun. Poor Kayos. Old dog did not deserve that. Maybe her owner did but she sure did not.

I joined this forum when I was looking for Kayos, now she an old lady. :(

·
Registered
31,709 Posts
I would be LIVID. First, accidents happen so stop blaming yourself. I don't think once in 4 years is anything to beat yourself up over. Second, the guy was way over the line and out of control. LIVID....

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Michelle, I blamed myself. My hubby has gotten angrier and angrier. Even my vet said WAY over the top. Block the dog, push the dog, grab the dog but don't kick an old dog that is not aggressing. If she had been aggressing, well, she gets what she gets. My vet said I was way too nice about this.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
Sometimes you do all you can to and shtuff still happens.

You already covered all the bases I can think of. Security cameras, documenting everything.

Keep interface with this jerk as close to zero as possible. Try not to escalate the war if possible.

If I had mace on me, and that man was kicking my dog after I was holding her collar, I think I would have nailed him with it.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. Poor Kayos.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this with your neighbor, too. What a jerk. Even when you're completely in the right (as you are!), just having that kind of unpleasantness around always gives me such a clenched stomach.

·
Registered
31,709 Posts
Michelle, I blamed myself. My hubby has gotten angrier and angrier. Even my vet said WAY over the top. Block the dog, push the dog, grab the dog but don't kick an old dog that is not aggressing. My vet said I was way too nice about this.
I can understand, I would blame myself as well, but you have a very small portion of the blame. You are a responsible dog owner who makes sure your dogs are contained and not bothering the neighbors. The ONE time in four years, a SENIOR dog gets out...and the guy kicks her and then proceeds to scream and threaten a woman and her animals while thumping his chest like a monkey??

Nope, Kathy, do not be to hard on yourself. Your neighbor has a very large portion of the blame. I'm angry for you!

I hope Kayos heals quickly. Poor girl :(

Now, how to do you go forward without the situation escalating so you have to worry about the safety of your animals? :mad:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Your neighbor sounds like a nut, kicking a non aggresive dog and injuring her. Get those security cameras up and maybe talk to other neighbors to see if has antagonized anyone else.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Scorched earth policy. You've put up with noise and ordinance violations but your neighbors have gone crazy over an accident. Document every infraction, start a case file with Animal Control and no longer let anything slide.
I've had to take this tactic and it is surprising how quickly matters resolved once the authorities were involved.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Geez Kathy, I'm so sorry this happened. What a dangerous idiot. Who the heck thumps their chest screaming about killing?

Poor Kayos. Give her a hug from me,

I would also add poison control, walking your property, to the list of security measures.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I honestly think that I would have kicked him if he kicked my dog. This was not a dog attack by any means and he was WRONG. If your dog was vicious and seriously hurting the other dog I can understand trying to protect a dog, but to kick a dog repeatedly that was already contained? That is one sick man....

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
go for the balls so to speak. the neighbor is crazy and there was no reason to act like a heathen and kick an obviously non-aggressive dog that was contained.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Wow, what an idiot. I wish I could keep calm like you, there's a good chance my response would have gotten me arrested. I agree on the cameras and make sure he knows you have them. Hopefully they will discourage him from trying anything else. I hope Kayos feels better soon.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'd have pressed charges.
Yeah your dog was off your property but she was not hurting anyone.
If they want to be a-holes then treat them that way.

I think I'd move house :(

Hope your girl feels better soon!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Sounds like you got yourself one awesome neighbor there, said with sarcasm. This guy sounds like he might have a screw loose. Please be careful as who knows how nutty he can be. Kick a dog today, burn your house down tomorrow. Is there another person in that house that you can talk to and reason with? The wife, kids? You need to try to de escalate the tensions so he doesn't think it is a game of one up man ship. I would also watch your back.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Betty good idea on checking for poison.

We work for the Army as civilian employees and move every 4 or 5 years. We would be up for a move within the year if the budget were not such a mess. Eventually we will be moved.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Things would not have turned out well for your neighbor had that happened here.

I hope Kayos is getting better. Poor dog.

I'd still level charges.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
It's probably too far for that.

The line has been crossed when the neighbor started kicking the dog after Kathy had a hold of the collar. He demonstrated a level of anger and lack of control that is indicative of a person unable to be reasoned with.

Extremely angry people and bullies see attempts at placating as a weakness and will only use that to their advantage.

I had to deal with that with a now estranged family member (not dog related) but a person who thinks he is ALWAYS in authority. When asked to leave my property he refused. He was starting an altercation with my DH and I wanted him to leave before it went to physical blows. No matter how I asked, firmly but low tone of voice or yelling at the top of my lungs he would not leave my property.

I was then faced with trying to physically remove him, which would have possibly made me guilty of assault or call the police.

He finally left when I came out with my cell phone and as I started pressing the numbers I said loudly - "I AM CALLING 9-1-1" He got in his truck and left. As he was leaving I yelled "You are NEVER welcome on my property again and will be tresspassing if you ever come back".

He did not heed my warnings to leave because he sees himself as an authority figure ALL THE TIME. He IS the law in his mind. There is no de-escalating with people like that. Been there tried that....for many years with this guy and it never improved.

If he ever steps even one foot on my property I will call the police immediately, there are no more second chances for people like that.

I suspect that this is what Kathy is dealing with as well. People like that really believe THEY are in the position of power and authority and no amount of being nice will change that.

The only thing that bullies and crazy people respect are bullies much tougher then they or crazier then they. That's just how some people are.

Sounds like you got yourself one awesome neighbor there, said with sarcasm. This guy sounds like he might have a screw loose. Please be careful as who knows how nutty he can be. Kick a dog today, burn your house down tomorrow. Is there another person in that house that you can talk to and reason with? The wife, kids? You need to try to de escalate the tensions so he doesn't think it is a game of one up man ship. I would also watch your back.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
First of all...I give you all the kudos in the world for not physically going after the idiot who was kicking your dog. I know that I wouldn't have been able to hold my composure like that...especially a senior dog. Yes, your dog was off property, but that was no reason to kick an obviously non aggressive dog.

I would call the cops, personally. Humans like that can only escalate to even worse things. Just like someone else said, poison control in the yard wouldn't be a bad thing.

I wish you luck and a speedy recovery for Kayos.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
I hope the majority of you are all talking big.

The absolute worse thing Kathy could have done in this situation was to hit or punch or kick the guy. The reason I suggested mace is that it would have probably incapacitated him enough for her to get her dog in the house with the door locked so she could then call the police.

But striking this guy would have done two bad things. He would then be able to switch his attack to her, possibly causing serious injury. And when all things were sorted out, neither or both might have been charged. And secondly, her elderly dog that did not protect herself, might have done something different if the attack was on her owner. And if the dog would have bitten this guy, after having been loose, well, a jury probably would see it your way, but a lot of these cases never make it to trial, as home-owner's insurance will just pay, and then dump you like a hot potato. So then, this yayhoo walks away smelling like a rose, rewarded for his brutality, and the the dog/her owner, might be facing repercussions, and as they are service, there are some funky rules and I am not sure that that would go over well.

I think it is natural to say what we would have wanted to do, but I doubt that many of us would have actually done something very differently, or handled it as well as Kathy did.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts