German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of your dogs howl at the sound of a siren? Our town does a monthly siren test and I am lucky enough to enjoy 5-10 minutes (depending on how long the test lasts that month) of this each time!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Yes, always. We lived in the 10 mile EPZ of a nuclear plant and could not hear the sirens but the dogs always let us know.

Now that we don't but live 2 miles from the fire department, we know when the fire engines go out too.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Yup, she's a siren howler. Funny thing, that's the only thing that causes her to howl.
If we are stopped in traffic while the sirens go by the people in the other cars
enjoy the entertainment. She has kind of a low voice.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I live five blocks from the fire house, seven blocks from the cop shop, three blocks from the hospital, and four blocks from Med-Star ambulance service.

Lisl has never uttered a sound at a siren.

Now a garbage truck is another matter...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Kaiser...oh yes. Lol he runs to the window, cocks his head, rushes over to me like "mom...?", runs back to the window, cocks his head o the other side, and then proceeds to bark and howl. My favorite howls are the ones he seems unable to control after I've asked him to stop...they are much lower pitched and kind of mournful sounding. Very wolf like. His normal in the moment siren howls are your standard howl though.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more I tell them to stop, the more they howl. We are across the street from the fire hall & where the siren speaker (not sure what to call them?) is, so we get it full force. I just have to let them howl through it...

My golden never even gave the siren a second thought until Knuckles started howling, he taught her how to howl :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
They are called Klaxons, and no, Finn doesn't howl at the siren, but he was raised in that enviroment. What he does is, when he hears the Pager go off, he runs to the door, very excitedly. We had him with us one day in the truck when we had to go to the FD for an emergency all call. Hubby was driving like he stole it and Finn was just yapping up a storm like it was the coolest thing he's ever done. Afterwards, he's associated that noise to the best car ride ever and he always wants to come.

He also knows, if he goes, it's going to be a fun day with all of his other buddies, so there's that motivation as well.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Karlo howls at sirens, started doing it around 4 months old. I love the body language as much as the song

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
I am reminded of my all time favorite video on this board.
Stark trying to howl:
YouTube

·
Registered
798 Posts
Mine do it all the time! We live a couple of blocks away from a hospital so we often listen to ambulance sirens, they all get together and howl away, lol! Even the mini Poodle joins them, it's so funny.
When I had my Toy Poodle, she wanted to join too, and it was hilarious since hers was a mix of bark/whine/trying to howl.

Then they also do it with car alarms, police car sirens, so all kind of sirens will do for them, hehe.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I am reminded of my all time favorite video on this board.
Stark trying to howl:
YouTube
That was the funniest dog howl video I've ever seen. I actually wish Finn would howl; my Chow/Husky would "sing" and howl whenever he got the opportunity, but Finn never has.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, and I enjoyed the call of the wild, but not all my pets did. The one that howled was also terrified of thunder storms. They all behave in all manners.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sometimes I use the alarm on my phone to wake up and depending what sound it is, Harley will howl at it if I dont get to it right away.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ours are big siren howlers! We live near a fire station and regularly have a little doggy chorus going on. Lol!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts