German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times have you Googled, "Are/Is [blank] safe for dogs?" My GSD is an angel in this department. She's so good around food that hasn't been properly given to her that when she was an only-dog we could leave bags of chips or crackers around and she'd never bother them...except for that one time she had enough with our laziness and ate a box of crackers to teach us a lesson. But, generally, she knows all food comes from us and is only awarded after she works for it.

Our muttpuppy, on the other hand, is a holy terror when it comes to food. Since his arrival, we've been pretty diligent at keeping stuff put away, but he's a sneaky little guy and sometimes we just forget to shut the baby gate to the kitchen (which he can apparently jump over - haven't caught him doing it but have caught him on the other side!). It's probably a combination of him being a former stray who had to forage and his just being a dog. We did start a list a long time ago, of the things he's gotten into, but have long since abandoned it. Here's a very non-comprehensive list of items he's consumed:

Avocado
grapes
an entire loaf of bread
pancake batter
dark chocolate
paper towels
cranberry juice
cookies
bloody mary’s (turn your head for a second and he samples whatever you're drinking)
nectarines
carrots
cat poop
cucumbers
$15 bag of biscotti
apples
cigarette butt (during walkies)
leaves
couch stuffing
the whole bucket of dehydrated liver treats (he may have had help with this - I know for sure he broke into it, but I can't guarantee our angel of a GSD didn't help him eat the evidence)
LL Bean Wicked Good Slippers (2 pair)
Countless tissue boxes
coffee tables
books
quite a bit of a bag of kibble

While most of these things have created various levels of panic and interesting [ahem] output, nothing has killed him yet. I think the kid has a stomach of steel. I'm glad he's my second dog which means I'm not rushing him off to the vet at $200/pop for every little thing. I have stuff on hand to induce vomiting in case it comes to it, but really the worst situation we ever had was that bag of kibble. There was much bloat and diarrhea for about a ten hours stretch but he came through it alright. I also did stay up with him all night after he ate a whole tupperware full of my vanilla bean cookies dipped in extra dark chocolate, but he was fine then.

What weird things have your dogs eaten?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Battleship pegs (for the game)

Pulled a snickerdoodle cookie off the counter and got down half of it (first attempt at counter surfing and that was quickly put to an end)

Gum wrappers (via my husband dropping them and me not picking them up fast enough)

Plastic bb's from an airsoft gun (all were small enough to pass thankfully and the husband is now banned from shooting in the backyard)

Piece of tennis balls he finds from the neighbors dog as well as their toys

He chews on a bush that's bare right now...like sits and gnaws on branches.

Pine needles and pine tree branches but mostly just the bark off of them.

He hasn't eaten anything that has made me rush off to the vet. They normally pass through him in a day. Most of the stuff (like the bb's) i found out he ate BECAUSE i cleaned up his poo haha. -.-'

We watch him like a hawk. He's like a 2 year old...silence is a very bad thing.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Hehe i love this post! makes me feel better =)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG, Angela - you're right - when it gets too quiet in the house we know he's up to something!!

You also reminded me of one of our funnier incidents. Coop seemed to be chewing on something and I ignored it at first - figured it was a rawhide or something but then he was just sitting there acting all weird about his chewing. When I took a closer look, I found a piece of gum in his mouth! He couldn't figure out how to swallow it.

Originally I had spit it into a wrapper and put it in the trash - now we have a special trash for food stuffs, including gum!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Pick a dog! LoL. Each dog has had an epic facepalm list of eaten stuff.

Sebastian:
Two loaves of Raisin Bread
A jar of Beef Boulion
Sanitary Napkins.
Beer
Bee Hives
Rocks.

Baxter:
A live Rooster.
Mice.
Snake.
Blood pads from meat wrappings.
Sanitary Napkins
Tube of Toothpaste
Dead something...found it on a walk and caught him gnawing on it...no clue what it was.
Athletic tape
Jock Strap

Finnian:
Lingere
Red Pepper
Habenero Peppers
Yarn
Books
Magazines
4 down pillows (different times)
AA Battery
Well past its expiration date pot roast

I could keep going, lol.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
over the years - not in order -

An award model of the Gemini spacecraft given to my dad (Engineer at KSC)
A coral
Strawberry Shortcake's head
Stuffed toys stuffing
lipstick
shoes
a can of mink oil (not the actual can but all the paste)
an entire chicken (there went dinner for us)
socks
pillow stuffing
a bag of hersheys christmas kisses
a light bulb
a poop bag
dog poop
leaves
rocks
a dead bird
the crotch out of my daughter's thongs (multiples)
a toad (boy was that fun - i gather the dog was tripping)
something cheech and chong would understand many years ago
cigarettes
a tv remote
legs from a chair
a leash

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona hasn't been that bad.
All kinds of bugs
Stuffed animal parts
Dog toy parts
Tennis ball parts
Her own poop
My hair (found it when she excreted it)
Pieces of her pool
Cat poop
Horse poop
Bird poop
Yes, she likes poop
Notice none of this is actual food. She doesn't steal that and eat it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
831 Posts
Dirt
Sticks
Poop
Trash
Stuffing from their toys
Underwear
Used kleenex
A WHOLE key lime pie
Chocolate chips
Hair
Leaves
Wires, any kind, but cell phone chargers appear to be the most delicious

·
Registered
123 Posts
Lets see.....Cell phone, poop (of course!), handkerchiefs, bits of tennis ball, cell phone charger, shoes (not mine-my wife's), licked clean pans waiting to be washed when our backs were turned. I'm sure there's something else but I can't think of anymore right now.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
with the use of the crate and teaching him not to
counter surf which extends to not taking food off the table
and general house training (no chewing funiture, clothes
or anything that's not to be chewed on) he shredded a news paper,
scratched the end of a chest of drawers, the end of a pillow
on the sofa (was crated at the time), chewed the remote.
my dog had free roam of the house at 4 months old. from 4 months to
8 months everything was fine. then at 8 months he decided to destroy things.
from 8 months to 1 yr or maybe 1&1/2 he crated. he was only
crated when we weren't home.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Valerae, so this post makes me feel better about our little vacuum cleaner. The stick passed ok, but because the vet saw 3 small rocks closely together and what looked like a swollen/enlarged intestine, he wants another follow up =/

The puppy ate 3 large meals, no vomiting no discomfort. I called to see if we should cancel, but the staff kinda guilt me to come in to make sure he is ok and have peace of mind that there is not something wrong with the intestine... Sigh this has been an expensive week, wish i purchased the insurance before bringing the pup home so the 14 day waiting period would of been already lifted. I just hope this is the last trip for a while.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are hilarious. Weed! Haha! A live rooster!?! I shouldn't be surprised or anything - my neighbor had backyard chickens last summer and if one of them had wandered into our yard I'm positive I'd have had to deal with something similar.

Doggiedad, we lost a set of curtains and the arm of a chair while our wee one was crated. That'll teach us to put his crate anywhere but the center of the room - ha! We don't really crate much anymore (he's probably 1-1/2 years now) and he's generally good...until he's not. Ha!

Neko - definitely watch those rocks. My SIL's basset hound had a thing for eating rocks...twice she ate some that were too big and needed surgeries to remove them. Not trying to scare you, but rocks can be serious if they don't pass. I take it after 3 big meals you didn't find anything in her stools?

We never did spring for insurance and I'm wondering if we should've. Hopefully once it kicks in, it'll be helpful (or better yet, hopefully your pup will stay away from those sticks and stones!). Silly puppies.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Well everything is fine! no more rocks... We are going to work more on leave it and increase his food intake. When he had geardia the vet put him on Purina EN 1 cup a day and this is how the problem started. We were feeding 3 cups of solid gold before. He is almost 11 weeks and 15 pounds so I can increase his meal size. My husband talked to the vet and told him about the food being a problem... my poor starved puppy is jumping on the pantry door and creaming.

Anyways my turn to add to the list:

In the past 2 weeks this is what we know of:

• Dead cricket
• 3 small rocks
• Plastic
• Toilet paper
• Grass
• Dirt
• Bark
• Pine needle
• Pine-cone
• Leaves
• Sticks

I hope that's it...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hooray for no rocks! Hope he's feeling better and has a full tummy of food!

I'm sure your list of odd consumptions will grow, but hopefully you can work on a good 'leave it' and that will help. Leave it works pretty well for us (when we're around!), but "give" (where he spits out what is in his mouth) has been a much tougher sell!

·
Registered
721 Posts
My Rattie ate a tube of diaper rash ointment. "Used" diaper rash ointment and peroxide is not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kodi is a poop connesieur. Horse poop, dog poop, duck poop, cow poop, small pebbly poo- maybe rabbit, and he has a thing for pulling things out of the emerald pond...

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Somehow he was able to open the door to the utility room - does chewing but, hopefully not eating, count? Well I guess I know I still can't try him out with a dog bed.

1 tent
1 sleeping bag
1 box of c-shaped fence nails
1 bag of garbage

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jerry is really good about not chewing stuff up, but if he hasn't had enough exercise for a few days he'll take a nibble here and there. He's gnawed on the remote, but just let a couple of teeth marks, chewed a little on the corner of a basket we keep shoes in, chewed a little on my dining room hutch, and chewed up a small flashlight. No major damage.

He did eat an entire chicken carcass one night. I forgot to clean up the kitchen before going to bed and left a chicken I had roasted for dinner out. It was mostly bones with some meat. He very gently lifted it out of the pan and off the counter without disturbing anything. There was no evidence at all that he had taken it, not even a scrap of bone or bit of grease. My fiance didn't even believe that he had done it, but no one else had touched it. Luckily, he didn't suffer any ill effects from eating all those chicken bones. I was worried for several days.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts