German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious for those of you that have multiple dogs in the house, does your dog(s) have their own toys that they do not share with the others?

Stark is not really into toys, unless another dog has them BUT he has taken to this one red ball. It doesn't squeak anymore and I have tried to replace it but he just isn't interested, he wants his old red ball.

I usually keep it away from other dogs and have multiple balls on me for that reason, he's not at all territorial about it in a bad way (meaning he will steal it back if another dog has it but is not aggressive about it in the least).

Tonight, Zefra took the ball and wouldn't drop it for Stark. Stark followed her around whining and pathetically barking at her to get her to drop it and she wouldn't. She laid down with it and Stark slunk into a down next to her whining and giving her the puppy sad eyes, which of course didn't work on her. It's a ball and all balls are hers of course. ;)

I didn't interfere and watched it play out. Currently Zefra is laying down next to my feet with the ball next to her and Stark is looking from the ball, to Zefra to me, hoping I will step in and rescue his ball.

Just wondering, do you reinforce a special toy(s) for one of your dogs, like said red ball. Do/would you give your dogs the toy back? Or whoever has whatever toy at the moment is theirs? That is kind of what I have been doing but poor pathetic Stark is making me want to grab the ball for him and give Zefra another ball (she doesn't care which one she has, as long as it is round.. lol). I am not of course but poor dog... lol.

·
5,627 Posts
Kaiser's ball is a medium glow in the dark chuck it. Raven steals it from him all the time and he just whines and barks at her but knows better than to try and take it back. I've recently started reinforcing to Raven that is is KAISER'S ball and to stop stealing it. She drops it for me but I want her to stop stealing it because he gets so worked up over it. Everything else is fair game

·
Registered
460 Posts
I usually let my guy's work it out unless there would be harm to any of them over a toy. I had 2 littermate females that I would have fun watching them watch each other and when they walked away from the ball or bone the other would take it and run off.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
My dogs prefer a certain type of ball...jollyballs, bigger size are the ones they like. I took them away because they are wearing down Karlo's canines. So now they get cuzball/holee rollers and frisbees. They do tend to pick out the deeper colors, and most are without a squeaker, so that isn't the reason for the choice.
At this time Karlo's favorite is a water wubba(softer squishy nylon cover) I'm using it for his training reward cause it is easy to tug, toss and easy on his teeth too!
If my other dogs had access to it, it would be of waay higher value.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My dogs have their favorites. The others do not deliberately steal them and the dogs will not fight to get them back. Clover does use trickery to get the toy or bone she wants. For instance, if one of the boys has a bone she wants, she go outside knowing the boys will follow. She then comes in and takes the favored bone. When Patton has her favorite ball outside, she'll bring the tattered dilapidated soccer ball he loves to chase to me to throw so maybe he'll drop her ball and go after the soccer ball. What's amusing is when he chases the soccer ball but keeps the other in his mouth and Clover will scour the ground where he was looking for the ball he should have dropped. She will then repeat the behavior trying again to get him to give it up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I usually keep the toys picked up to avoid any toy guarding. Lukas doesn't care much about toys unless you're playing WITH him. Addie is toy possessive and doesn't like to share with the other dogs but will if we make her. Jaxon loves whatever I give him - but nothing tops an empty water bottle LOL.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
My guys don't have special toys and as badly as I would feel for poor Stark I don't think I would step in unless I thought a fight would happen.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Yup, Sinister shares all of his toys with Malice except for his "coon" it's a racoon with a squeeker but no stuffing in it. :)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Even though I get two of whatever, they always play and wrestle with one, go figure. :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a male "Bear" that had a favorite red kong. He had a black kong too but he preferred the red....I think because it was easier to see from a distance. I tested this theory a few times. I'd be in a huge field on one of our walks and when he was pretty far off I'd get his attention and hold up the black kong, no reaction...just looking at me. Then I'd hold up the red kong..you could see him looking, and then he'd zoom in like a rocket for a game of fetch. Another time the kids had left the gate open and he wandered across the street where all the properties are about 500ft deep or so and the front yards look like one big field(that he hadn't been in before). I ran out the front door and he's about 600ft away peeing on as many bushes as he can. I had these gorgeous red geraniums in full bloom so I picked the biggest flower ran across the road held it up and over he zoomed. I knew by the look on his face he thought it was the red kong.
Catherine

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
...nothing tops an empty water bottle LOL.
Shasta prefers the empty milk jugs if she can't have one of her (many, many) balls. She really loves them but I think she'll be okay when the new puppy comes. At the dog park, she always defers to the other dog if one happens to chase her ball.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts