German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I haven't seen any lighthearted threads lately, so the quirk thread came to mind. Why don't we all list a couple or our dogs' quirks or funny personalities that we notice. I might be fun, and i would love to see what some of your other dogs are like. Here's two of Kias's quirks:
Kias:
Is addicted to orange muffins.
Thinks getting his tail pinched is a very, very serious affair. (he stares at the person who pinches him with huge, worried eyes like "what am I doing wrong?")

what are some other quirky dogs here? I'd love to hear them!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Rumo:

- has learned all kinds of complete sentences. ( For instance, if I say, "Where do you want to go today?" he will get very excited because he knows that means "Walk". If I say, "Do you want to come with me to pick up A?" he gets excited because to him that sentence means, "Car ride!" I don't know how he learned full Sentences! )

- gets sleepy when being groomed or petted. He will lay down on his side, and his eyes will close, and he will get very drowsy or fall asleep. This is why grooming usually gets done one side at a time...during coat blow, he often walks around with one side of his body sleek and immaculate, and the other side patchy!

·
Super Moderator
5,960 Posts
My dogs enjoy my super backscratch massages.If the other two see #1 receiving the best super duper scratch ever they line up and wait for a turn.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Ziva has a love affair with pillows. She has to have them adjusted just so. If she wants to lie on the couch and the throw pillow isn't in the correct position she will paw at me until I fix it how she likes it. Once the pillow is right place she hops up and settles for her napping. I changed the style of pillow and she doesn't like them. I got her pillows back out because she got so grumpy about it. Oh and she snores.

She likes to eat laying down and won't eat out of a bowl. Her meals are served on a plate...yeah she is spoiled just a bit:D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Steel - thinks he's a 10lb lap dog. Must lay his head on you or your pillow (you MUST share the same pillow). If he REALLY likes you, he sniffs the inside of your ear (both his dam and granddam do this same thing). Offers trick behaviors if you sound remotely angry/frustrated (sometimes only adds to the frustration, though).

Katsu - Spins in circles when playing with other dogs. Like - play bow, run five feet, spin in circles, play bow again. I find it hilarious and totally goofy. Apparently her sire does it too. Genetics are weird.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Toy hog. Has been known to fall asleep with a ball in her mouth to keep anyone else from getting it! Here she is stretching after waking up. The noise of the camera woke her before I could snap the photo.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My girls has an insatiable love for barking and biting at any digging hand tool (shovel, concrete mover, rake etc. She will sit by it barking and staring at it and wagging her tail. If I move it she will jump and nip at it non stop. If I grab it out of the barn and she can see from the window in the house or if she hears "digging" going on outside she will go crazy and start barking and pacing around lol. It really makes shoveling a challenge if she is out with me 😝

·
Registered
64 Posts
Karma LOVES to drink water in the bath tub, out of a sand box toy (we use them for my little's baths). Even though she has a water bowl outside to drink out of, she prefers to come inside, go into the bathroom, jump into the tub and wait for me to fill the sand box toy to drink from. If you are sitting on the ground watching TV, you MUST pet her. If you don't, she will give you the death stare, paw at you, or sometimes even mouth your hand in a manner of forcing you to move your hand in a petting motion

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Lots a great quirks here! I knew a dog who was in love with bananas! He would stand by his owner and whine whenever she opened a banana, hoping for a bite.
@GSDchoice. Next time a person tells me GSDs aren't very smart, GSDChoice, I'll tell them about your dog! :D

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Everytime I grab a leash my dog Nyx feels she has to rear up, very similar to a horse rearing up, she sort of reminds me of an Arabian stallion LOL! I walk to the door and she knows to sit to let me put on the leash - without a word from me. But that rearing up is for her essential. I taught her not to jump on me, but really don't see a problem with this, and it seems to make her SO happy.

I also taught her to pivot into a healing position from a front sitting position. She does, but if/when she's amped up she likes to give a little rear up in the process...again, as long as she keeps her feet off of me, I don't really mind since we don't train for competition...

·
Registered
56 Posts
If Eva doesn’t have to go to the bathroom she just stands there and won’t let me move her. This is her “I’m not going anywhere” stance. Keep in mind, I’m trying to pull her in this picture.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If Eva doesn’t have to go to the bathroom she just stands there and won’t let me move her. This is her “I’m not going anywhere” stance. Keep in mind, I’m trying to pull her in this picture.
The dog I walk does that too when he wants to sniff something. He won't move until he is absolutely ready!

·
Registered
812 Posts
The female ( Meesha )we have now gets worried/anxious when we ask a question and/ or talk to our amazon echo (Alexa)....don't know whether it's because both Meesha and Alexa end in "a" and sound similar.or not...when we first brought her home for a week or so if we were all watching TV in the living room and I asked Alexa something---Meesha would trot out to the "sitting room" where Alexa "lives" on a shelf and look all around for the "human" who was talking....then she'd come back and sit next to me with a very puzzled expression ....she's not phased by TV or radio sooo....I really believe that the sound and tone of Alexa's voice reminds her of someone from her past that she remembers ...in a good way...

·
Super Moderator
4,584 Posts
The dog I walk does that too when he wants to sniff something. He won't move until he is absolutely ready!
When I get the "I'm still sniffing this" stance I walk into my dog's head slowly and push the nose away with my legs. Then if they are more co-operative I might let them go back and sniff some more as a reward, but often by then it has lost its importance.

My dogs have a few quirks. My gal-dog loves to catch pine-cones and my boy loves to catch leaves. I have to be careful with both that they don't swallow or breath in little bits, but they do love those games of catch.
My big-boy likes to sit in the shower during the summer. He goes in there and waits for me to turn on the water.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I get the "I'm still sniffing this" stance I walk into my dog's head slowly and push the nose away with my legs. Then if they are more co-operative I might let them go back and sniff some more as a reward, but often by then it has lost its importance.

My dogs have a few quirks. My gal-dog loves to catch pine-cones and my boy loves to catch leaves. I have to be careful with both that they don't swallow or breath in little bits, but they do love those games of catch.
My big-boy likes to sit in the shower during the summer. He goes in there and waits for me to turn on the water.
I actually don't really care if he sniffs. He's not my dog and he's old, so I haven't tried to train him in the least. But With Kias I don't let that happen at all for sure.

Another Quirk I just remembered: Kias loves to just scratch and scratch as loudly as he can on his crate floor for no reason at all! He just pulls back the blanket and scratches with a crazy look on his face. He's a weirdo!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I actually don't really care if he sniffs. He's not my dog and he's old, so I haven't tried to train him in the least. But With Kias I don't let that happen at all for sure.

Another Quirk I just remembered: Kias loves to just scratch and scratch as loudly as he can on his crate floor for no reason at all! He just pulls back the blanket and scratches with a crazy look on his face. He's a weirdo!
Both my girl and boy love to scratch at the crate floor and also the shower drain for some odd reason. 🙄

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Luna she spoils me - during dremel time she always goes to the rug near the sliding glass doors. My battery is going on the dremel so I may need to recharge in between dremels. I wipe the counter down or do something in the kitchen to pass the time and Luna will not move from the spot. She waits patiently to get her nails done so she can get her treats after. When I finish her nails she will stay their unless I say okay all finished. The other day when I finished her nails then 45 minutes later my daughter said did you tell Luna she is finished I said no I did not and I said okay all finished and then luna happily walked away.Luna does not care much for the ball but enjoys stealing Max’s ball at times when I take it out. Every night he persuaded me to do go through all his tricks a few times and then I let him carry the ball around for a certain period of time. He will challenge himself and purposely drop the ball on lunas head or watch it roll to where she sleeps. He will then watch the ball intently as if he is trying to manipulate the ball to roll back to him. He will fail his own challenge then come to me and with his deep shepherd stare for me to follow him so I can save his ball. He will jump into the raging ocean after his ball but if Luna has it max will get me to do his bidding and he is smart to do as such lol. A photo of Luna hiding the ball under her chest at Xmas time. Max loves pillows if a pillow is not available he will use you as a pillow. Luna is snuggly to just not as obtrusive.

O

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts