German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 7 hours after Mia ate her pumpkin, she had a good firm stool, orange but firm. I thought yes, we're back to normal. I crated her last night just to be on the safe side. Well, I woke up this morning and she had pooed all in her crate (diarrhea) I took her outside and she pooed diarrhea again.

I gave her two more teaspoons of pumpkin this morning.

I don't get it. She acts fine. She's still full of energy and playful, has a good appetite, drinking good, no fever, and doesn't seem to have lost any weight.

I'm calling my vet in the morning and taking in a stool sample. She's due to get vaccinated Friday but I don't know if that's a good idea until we get this diarrhea straightened out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good call! I'm sorry to hear she's having this problem. Hope you get it all worked out and she gets better!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call! I'm sorry to hear she's having this problem. Hope you get it all worked out and she gets better!

Thanks. I hope she gets better soon. She's worrying her Mom and Dad terribly.:(:confused:

·
Registered
906 Posts
It could be a bout of Giardia or some kind of intestinal parasite! I hope you can figure out what it is! At least she is still acting normal, thats a big plus :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be a bout of Giardia or some kind of intestinal parasite! I hope you can figure out what it is! At least she is still acting normal, thats a big plus :)
Yes, I'm concerned about Giardia. When we're in the yard, Mia is always trying to eat dirt or something. We live on the outskirts of town where there are lots of critters. That has me concerned too.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Although this isn't recommended if you suspect parasites (because the runs are the body's way of ridding itself of toxins or parasites), but when you're certain of what's causing the problem, my "cheat" to get rid of the runs is an Imodium tablet.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although this isn't recommended if you suspect parasites (because the runs are the body's way of ridding itself of toxins or parasites), but when you're certain of what's causing the problem, my "cheat" to get rid of the runs is an Imodium tablet.
Our vet suggested Imodium Friday when I called. When I looked up Imodium for dogs, some of the side effects were bloat, central nervous system damage, and pancreatitis. Even though they are considered rare, it would probably be just my luck one of those things would happen to her.

Since she's showing no other symptoms, I think I'm just going to take in a stool sample tomorrow. If it shows nothing, may have to move her Friday Vet appointment up.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh had giardia, what a nightmare to clean up!! And why does it always happen at night?? The vet took a 'fresh' sample so I didn't need to bring one in. You might try giving her some Gatorade to make sure she's hydrated- mine like the red and orange.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hope that Mia is back to herself soon. :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I am kinda not for using immodium, for the very reason Jax listed..

I would also wonder about giardia as Lesley posted..I'd ask for the giardia antigen test, and maybe test for coccidia as well

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stosh had giardia, what a nightmare to clean up!! And why does it always happen at night?? The vet took a 'fresh' sample so I didn't need to bring one in. You might try giving her some Gatorade to make sure she's hydrated- mine like the red and orange.
I know, she looked so pathetic and guilty in her crate this morning. I felt so sorry for her. I really hope I find out something tomorrow.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am kinda not for using immodium, for the very reason Jax listed..

I would also wonder about giardia as Lesley posted..I'd ask for the giardia antigen test, and maybe test for coccidia as well
Yep, plan on having them run whatever poop test they need to run. Just want our girl back to normal stools.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I agree that a vet visit with stool sample is in order.

I would not give immodium because it stops them up.

I assume she's already on a bland diet? If not I would start that immediately using overcooked rice (cook rice for twice as long in twice as much water) with chicken breast. You can add a little pumpkin to that.

Pumpkin helps firm up stool but won't get rid of diarrhea. You can use slippery elm or activated charcoal for diarrhea. There is a great combo homeopathic remedy for diarrhea called "Digestive Upsets." It is made by Homeopet.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I am bumping this because I see that you've started a new thread. When you have a sick dog it is best to start one thread and then stick with it. This helps people see the full history including what meds the vet has prescribed, what testing has been done, what food and supplements have been tried, etc. That makes it easier to offer advice for further testing, meds, etc.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally, I have figured out what caused Mia's diarrhea. Her stool is firming up, by the way.

Mia always gets two beef flavored carryout treats in the morning and in the evening. Each is given before breakfast and before dinner. Christmas weekend, she ran out and I forgot to pick some up. She always likes her treats before her meal. Just seems to make her eat better. Well, I remembered I had the same treats in her training bag. We used those treats to learn the leave it command. We haven't had class since October and I hadn't added new treats since September. I decided to use those treats until I could get back to the store and pick up new ones. The day after I started using them is when she developed the diarrhea. I used them for two days. I don't know what I was thinking. This hit me last night while I was in bed worrying about her. Just came out of no where. I read the ingredients this morning and found that chicken is the first ingredient. Bingo! They are a moist treat and I'm sure are more suseptible to growing bacteria over time. Now I feel like a complete jackass for putting our girl through this but I'm relieved I've figured it out. I called her vet this moring to make sure there wasn't something more we needed to do. She told me to continue doing what we're doing as long as Mia seemed to be getting better.

She's on antibiotics and I'm still giving her yogurt. Her stools started firming up last night. So, I think she's on her way to recovery.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Great news, glad that Mia is on her way to a complete recovery and was not anything serious going on! :)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Immodium worked great for my dog's bout with diarrhea. Only had to give her one, thank goodness. That was about a year ago, nothing since.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good solid stool tonight. It was also her first bowel movement today but it was a big one.:happyboogie:

I've never in my life seen a dog that gets so excited to take medicine. When I get her antibiotics out, she starts jumping around like I'm giving her a treat. I don't even have to put it in food. She swallows the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Good solid stool tonight. It was also her first bowel movement today but it was a big one.:happyboogie:

I've never in my life seen a dog that gets so excited to take medicine. When I get her antibiotics out, she starts jumping around like I'm giving her a treat. I don't even have to put it in food. She swallows the whole thing.
That is so cute!

So glad your little girl is feeling better. It's a horrible feeling when you don't know what's wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts