German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible that a dog can never bond to you?
I know a dog is supposed to respect you and bond to you.
But does every dog do this?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
There is dependence that naturally happens in the relationship no matter what, they depend on you to feed them for instance and provide shelter. If there are multiple people in the household then they will normally pick just one person who's special above all else. That doesn't mean that the other people get ignored, I liken it from a human perspective to friends. You have your acquaintance(s), your friend(s), and your best friend(s)

Some bonds are skin deep; some go straight to the heart :) Each dog bonds differently and I don't think there's a one size fits all mentality which works. For Delgado he's happiest playing, he loves when I spend time in the backyard with a ball or flirt pole with him one on one. For Jazzy she loves cuddling on the couch watching a movie with me.

So to answer your question, I think there always is a bond between a dog and a owner, how deep it goes depends on you and the dog :D

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Yes, it is and I have had it happen to me.

When I adopted Sasha she had been a stray for so long that she was more comfortable on her own. She LIKED us and would sit with us on the couch but if the chance came - she would run away.

I tried very hard to bond with her but the truth was she just didn't want to.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is dependence that naturally happens in the relationship no matter what, they depend on you to feed them for instance and provide shelter. If there are multiple people in the household then they will normally pick just one person who's special above all else. That doesn't mean that the other people get ignored, I liken it from a human perspective to friends. You have your acquaintance(s), your friend(s), and your best friend(s)

Some bonds are skin deep; some go straight to the heart :) Each dog bonds differently and I don't think there's a one size fits all mentality which works. For Delgado he's happiest playing, he loves when I spend time in the backyard with a ball or flirt pole with him one on one. For Jazzy she loves cuddling on the couch watching a movie with me.

So to answer your question, I think there always is a bond between a dog and a owner, how deep it goes depends on you and the dog :D
Wow that was a great way to put it!
My first shepherd i think bonded more to my dad, and when i got my boxer lab mix he bonded with me, and has the strongest bond of any dog in my family.
And the new pup is bonding pretty well but he was a stray, i just wanted to hear your quys opinion and if it has ever happened to you, and how it has been different for each dog. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts