German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your dog do this? Dharma does what I call the poopy dance before she will go poop. She has to sniff the area completely and then circle several times before she will pick a spot to go. I swear it is frustrating to wait for her to find the "perfect" spot.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Zena does that, Riley used to but stopped after being yelled at for taking too long, Shelby doesnt most of the time and Shasta is a puppy still so she is more interested in goofing off until she remembers she has to go.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does take too long. I was just eating a pizza for dinner and Dharma interrupted me to go outside. I had time to smoke a whole cigarette waiting for her. Of course a couple of minutes was wasted as she went to the fence to try to engage the next door neighbor's dog. But the majority of the time was circling her "area" where she likes to go.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
yes, my dog does that. why is that frustrating?
my dog going to the poop or pee isn't frustrating.

Does your dog do this? Dharma does what I call the poopy dance before she will go poop. She has to sniff the area completely and then circle several times before she will pick a spot to go. I swear it is frustrating to wait for her to find the "perfect" spot.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
doggiedad ~ sometimes i'm not sure you understand people.

honestly when i'm standing outside in the freaking cold and my dog is taking forever to find that perfect spot and then takes even longer to circle while pooing, i'm pretty darn frustrated. especially when my dinner is getting cold. I'm not a fan of leftovers and i'm not a fan of rewarming my dinner because the dog that can remember exactly where they left all their toys cant remember where their favorite place to poo in the yard is despite living there for years.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Because it takes a long time for no real reason. I know that I'm not supposed to let Chrono go to the bathroom in the backyard, I have to take him out to the front on a leash and pick up his poop. Standing out there waiting(sometimes in -30C!) is more frustrating than letting your dog go in your backyard while you stay nice and comfortable in your house.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It's not frustrating that she goes. It's frustrating that it takes her 5 + minutes to find the perfect spot. Especially when it is cold or raining outside and I have to stand out there with her. Not only does she have to sniff the whole backyard area where she goes but then she has to circle multiple times. Why can't she just go already?!?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Ozzy does it, but thankfully it's always *right* when he remembers he's gotta go and can't hold it much longer. The only thing that irritates me at all is that when we go out front, he has to run to the side of the house to do it. It's like his 'secret' poop corner. LOL

It's DoggieDad, just take whatever he says with a grain of salt. It makes life easier. Haha.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Ozzy does it, but thankfully it's always *right* when he remembers he's gotta go and can't hold it much longer. The only thing that irritates me at all is that when we go out front, he has to run to the side of the house to do it. It's like his 'secret' poop corner. LOL

It's DoggieDad, just take whatever he says with a grain of salt. It makes life easier. Haha.

this is true...

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Yup Molly has a poopy dance too! She goes in one spot in the backyard but still has to do the circle thing!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't understand why a dog going
to the bathroom is frustrating for a human. waiting 5 or 10 minutes isn't long to me. i don't get frustrated over small and meaningless events. i have strong nerves and a sound temperment so i don't become frustrated easily.

QUOTE=KZoppa;1930553]doggiedad ~ sometimes i'm not sure you understand people.

honestly when i'm standing outside in the freaking cold and my dog is taking forever to find that perfect spot and then takes even longer to circle while pooing, i'm pretty darn frustrated. especially when my dinner is getting cold. I'm not a fan of leftovers and i'm not a fan of rewarming my dinner because the dog that can remember exactly where they left all their toys cant remember where their favorite place to poo in the yard is despite living there for years.[/QUOTE]

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
a 5 or 10 minute wait doesn't bother me. if it's raining,
snowing or bitter cold i stand inside (near the door).
i keep a towel next to the front door and basement door
so i can dry him off when needed.

It's not frustrating that she goes. It's frustrating that it takes her 5 + minutes to find the perfect spot. Especially when it is cold or raining outside and I have to stand out there with her. Not only does she have to sniff the whole backyard area where she goes but then she has to circle multiple times. Why can't she just go already?!?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
what would happen if you cooked dinner after the dog
goes out? when the weather is bad i stand inside
near the door and wait for him.

honestly when i'm standing outside in the freaking cold and my dog is taking forever to find that perfect spot and then takes even longer to circle while pooing, i'm pretty darn frustrated. especially when my dinner is getting cold. I'm not a fan of leftovers and i'm not a fan of rewarming my dinner because the dog that can remember exactly where they left all their toys cant remember where their favorite place to poo in the yard is despite living there for years.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i don't understand why a dog going
to the bathroom is frustrating for a human. waiting 5 or 10 minutes isn't long to me. i don't get frustrated over small and meaningless events. i have strong nerves and a sound temperment so i don't become frustrated easily.

That is terrific that you don't mind waiting for however long it takes for your dog to find that perfect spot. But when I have dinner on the table, it is cold or raining outside or I have to go to work in the morning then I just wish she would find the spot and go!

a 5 or 10 minute wait doesn't bother me. if it's raining,
snowing or bitter cold i stand inside (near the door).
i keep a towel next to the front door and basement door
so i can dry him off when needed.

I can't stand inside the door. She thinks this is an invitation to join me. She is not comfortable unless I am standing on the patio while she sniffs the yard and circles her spot. Also I am not going to leave the door open to stand there when I have the air conditioning or heat on or it is raining outside, letting all of the rain onto my hard wood floor.

If there is snow on the ground, I leave her outside because she loves to play in the snow, however rain is different, she will just stand at the back door to get back in and doesn't go.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Plus it would be different if she found a different spot each time but instead she always uses the exact same spot everytime. You would think that by now she knows exactly where it is!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I always accompany my dogs to the poop spot in our yard, and wait in the rain or snow and cold and dark. I hate waiting too. Have to go with them since Niko likes to chase critters if he sees them, and Rosa might be tempted to sample what just came out of her butt.

I find mild amusement in counting the number of times Rosa circles for her potty. The other night it was 17 times for pee, then another 12 for poop. Of course it took her a couple minutes to even start the poopy dance, because you know, sniffing around and such is important.

It does seem the more impatient I am for her to go, the longer it takes. She must sense it somehow.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wolfie does the poopy dance too, and if something makes a noise in the woods, he has to go investigate that and then come back and the poopy dance starts all over again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts