German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bit of an interesting experience last night. My 18 year old daughter & I walked down to the cemetery in town so that she could take pictures (she wants to make photography a career). Its an old cemetery, some graves are from the late 1800's. There is also a "childrens section", which has graves from the 1800s to now.

So, we brought the dogs with and let them run off leash while we were walking around since we were the only ones there. I was letting my daughter do her thing and keeping an eye on the dogs. When we wandered into the childrens section I noticed a change in Knuckles. He started hopping around, running in circles and whining. Then he was walking towards my daughter who was maybe 10 yards ahead of me and all of a sudden something got his attention, he turned bounced over about 10 feet and just stood there, tail wagging, like he was waiting for a command... looking in the opposite direction of me or my daughter. Thats when I really started paying attention to him... he was acting just like he does when there are little kids around!!
When we went to go to a different part of the cemetery he was acting like he didn't really want to leave... he kept looking back at the childrens section.

It didn't freak me out or anything and I waited until we got home to ask my daughter if she noticed (she didn't... she was too busy snapping pics). I think we'll go back and this time I'll take some video and see if he reacts the same way.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you believe in ghosts (which I do) I believe that animals in general are more receptive to their presence. Animals unlike humans do not have preconceived notions of what is socially acceptable (like believing in ghost) and they react in a manner that is completely unprovoked and natural to their surroundings. Its a good chance that he saw something you did not. Check your daughters photos and see if you recognize any "orbs" they almost look like water spots on the camera lens or that there was something circular in the photo

Here is an example with ALOT of orbs in it... not just one, it may be faint but many believe (including myself) that these are signs of something

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Very interesting. I do believe he saw something that you did not. Happens all the time. I'd be very interested in seeing that video!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I actually am part of a paranormal investigation team and hear about this often. I don't think all dogs "see" like this, though. My pit bull definitely did but my GSD did not. Maybe it's like TV. Some dogs watch it, some don't.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I don't believe in ghosts, but do angels and demons. Fiona has often looked at something like staring. I look and see nothing. Maybe. She sees my guardian angel.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually am part of a paranormal investigation team and hear about this often. I don't think all dogs "see" like this, though. My pit bull definitely did but my GSD did not. Maybe it's like TV. Some dogs watch it, some don't.
My golden didn't react like Knuckles did, but she is pretty oblivious to everything but me. Even on walks, barking dogs coming right at her don't phase her, she walks on like she doesn't even see them, so it would make sense that she didn't see anything.

I think Knuckles was doing more than just seeing... watching him, you would swear he was playing with someone.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I most certainly believe it. In my own spiritual path, dogs often walk with those passing to the Otherworld,and can see those who have stayed behind.

You should take him back sometime and let him play :)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Sorry to be a buzzkill but those "orbs" are most likely water or dust in the air. Even if you asked a "professional ghost hunter" they would say the same thing. If you go on a ghost website most of them will explain this and on those ghost hunting shows as well they debunk that type of photograph (where there are multiple "orbs") all the time.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I believe it there are spirits here and I don't discount a dog's ability to sense or see them. If a dog can tell when a person's sugar is too low, I can't discount their ability to sense spiritual energy.

I also agree the orbs in the picture above are just dust / insects in the air or a dirty lense. Sorry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dogs Seeing Things

While I do not believe in ghosts, I religiously believe in angels and demons (to which some might say its the same thing) I've visited my great aunts grave on a clear day and not the slightest breeze and have seen a pin wheel on her grave site spin the entire time we were there. I can understand dogs sensing things that the human can not see (or chooses to not see) and wouldnt argue against. Be interesting to see video of her acting that way :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Bible says to see heaven, one must have a mind of babe. So yeah, GSDs can see things we can't.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah, you'll most likely get those orbs in any picture that you take at night with flash. Underwater has the same problem. It's just dust and debris in the air.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
A couple of the more popular ghost hunting groups sometimes bring dogs along to help alert to a spiritual presence.

If you can back up a reaction like Knuckles had with either an EVP, Mel Meter hit or EMF hit at the same time that would help validate....don't know if you have that equipment but a plain digital recorder will do.

(we've got some class A EVPs, I didn't used to believe in this until using my own plain jane bought at the office store digital recorder we captured voices that were NOT ours....)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I believe this 100%. No doubt in my mind.

·
Registered
990 Posts
If a dog can tell when a person's sugar is too low, I can't discount their ability to sense spiritual energy.
Not the same thing, a persons body odour changes distinctly when blood glucose levels change :)
I used to be able to tell my diabetic boyfriend when his blood sugar was dropping because I could smell it lol

But I'd not be surprised at all if dogs saw ghosts :)

One thing that surprises me tho is why does it always seem to be old stuff that's haunted - what about a modern cemetery?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Oh, that sends chills up my spine. I am very analytical and have a hard time believing in ghosts or any kind of afterlife, but I must admit that I have a similar story to tell.

Several years ago I had a dog, Sandy that was good friends with 2 other dogs, Marley and Putka. Putka was older and he passed away long before the other two. One day, shortly after Putka passed, we were outside in front of Putka's house with Marley and her owner. Sandy and Marley were happily playing when all of a sudden they both stopped and both looked at an empty spot right in front of Putka's front door. A spot where Putka often stood and looked at the neighborhood. At the same time both dogs started crying, then they started barking in that half crying sort of way like they were excited to see someone they knew. All the while they both continued to stare at the same spot where us humans saw nothing.

Marley's owner and I were both pretty shaken by that incident and we had no logical explanation for what we had both witnessed. Neither of us believed in ghosts, but we both had to admit that we had just experienced something very odd.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I'm not sure what I believe. Like most humans I try to rationalize too much. I will share a story though.

My pit bull every so often stares at "something". We have never figured it out. We jokingly say he sees ghost. Well one night my GF and I had just gotten into bed when our pit jumped up and stood at the foot of the bed. He had hackles up and was growling. This is odd for him as he doesn't growl or bark at anything and is never defensive. Just a happy go lucky dog. I'm I light sleeper so this startled me and I jumped out of bed with pistol in hand to see what the heck he was growling at. I cleared the whole house and saw nothing. So I go back to bed. I had a nightmare that night (unusual for me since I rarely remember my dreams) that something was holding me down and trying to suffocate me. My GF woke up (again unusual because she can sleep through a mac truck driving through our room) and said I was thrashing around like someone was hold my arms and legs down. She said I was breathing very hard and trying to yell but it sounded muffled. In my dream, I was trying to yell to tell her to get out of the house. I guess I was doing this for about five minutes then woke up. My GF was completely freaked out and I was sweating like I just had the wrestling match of a life time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I, like several of you, believe in angels and demons. I have a story about my roommates old dog
He was a chi weenie, named Ryder. He was super sweet but generally did his own thing.
One night my now husband and I were watching a scary movie the the apartment (I HATE scary movies) when Ryder started acting abnormally. He came and sat right at my feet and would not leave, staring at the landing to our stairs (townhouse). Then he got up and started sniffing around the DVD case which was right by the landing, I thought he saw a bug, so I got up and moved the DVD case so he could look around, nothing was there. He came back to my side and all of a sudden I watched him follow something across the room and up the stairs. His head moved from the far left to right and then tilted slightly up and headed left. In that moment every hair on my neck and arms stood up, my husbands too and he is not easily scared. Ryder then jumped up to the landing and started barking and whining...I got up and walked right out of that townhouse and stayed out the rest of the night.
I believe things can be provoked (ouija (sp?) boards, medians, essentially asking for a visit from one or the other). It's kind of like playing with fire, ask and you shall receive and I think it goes both ways. I think that night something was visiting and Ryder saw it...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One thing that surprises me tho is why does it always seem to be old stuff that's haunted - what about a modern cemetery?
This cemetery that we were at is a modern one, it's the Catholic church's cemetery and the graves are from present back to when the town was founded in the late 1800s. (most of my family is buried there - mom, grandparents, uncles) Even in the children's section, there are new graves, the most recent one I saw was 2012 (we are in a smaller town; population about 2500). Luckily we don't have many recent children deaths in this town. There are quite a few from the 1930's, which I noticed because my parents were born in 34.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Here is an example with ALOT of orbs in it... not just one, it may be faint but many believe (including myself) that these are signs of something
it's a sign there is dust on the lens or in the air.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts