German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be considered the pack of your dreams?

My dream is to have a pack that includes me, my husband and children. 2 GSDs, 2 white GSDs, 2 Dutch shepherds, a couple of mutts and lots of cats.

Right now i only have one cat after losing my GSD Juventus :( but we're looking for a new GSD. We live in an apartment, but hopefully one day i'll have the land of my dreams for my perfect pack of dogs.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have to say, I have the pack of my dreams right now.

One male German Shepherd, who is a showline/working cross and my working line female!

Maybe in the very distance future I will have one more working line German Shepherd but that is when both of my current goobers are old and lazy.. lol.

For now, I am enjoying the two I have!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I used to tell people that I was trying to collect one of each breed. :D But I've come to the realization that for myself, by myself, 6 is enough. I dont' know about an ideal pack, every dog has benifits and draw backs, some go together better than others. I like interacting with lots of different mentalities. I prefer larger breed dogs. I've decided with mine, that the border collie and the great pyrenees are polar opposites mentally. I guess I like variety.

*edit* just re-read op. Hmmm... you are including people and other species? Well, obviously being the only human species in the pack isn't my "ideal" pack, but sometimes you gotta play the hand you're delt. :(

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I love dogs, especially GSDs, but I consider just one or two to be ideal for me. Any more than that, and I feel like my time and attention would be spread too thin.

As long as I have livestock, I would want an LGD (livestock guardian dog). LGDs do not need the same kind of human interaction that GSDs do; they are bonded to livestock and work independently. So it wouldn't take time and attention away from my people-oriented GSDs.

I would love to have a pile of Ocicats, as many as could live together in harmony. Right now we have two and I kind of want another one. :crazy: If I lived in a place where it was safe for cats to go outside, I would have a bunch of barn cats too. As much as I love dogs, I'm really a cat person. Don't hate me. :)

As long as I'm dreaming, I would for sure have a couple of small gaited horses so we could trail ride all over the place (with the GSDs, of course).

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I've decided with mine, that the border collie and the great pyrenees are polar opposites mentally.
Yep... I've said that about my GSDs and my Akbash dog... polar opposites. In our case, it actually helps them get along--since they want totally different things out of life, they aren't in competition for anything.

I am not sure how what's going to happen once Vinca starts working at herding, Whaley may take offense to her chasing HIS goats around. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would love love love to have: A GSD, a retired greyhound, 2 border collies and a flock of sheep. That is my ultimate dream, hopefully when I finish school and begin my career.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My ultimate pack would be 3 GSDs, 1 female, 2 males...2 cats...and my African Gray parrot!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm not married yet and I'm only 26. I'm not sure if I ever want kids.

I love animals and since I've only owned a bunch of fish over the years, 1 cat, 1 small dog for six months, and Vickki my Rottie girl who passed away last year at 14yrs old; I plan on owning a lot of animals. That is why I want to finish university (I will next year). I want to get a foreclosure house (that is the cheapest option for me) because not all apartments allow big dogs (and sadly not all breeds-GSDs, Rottie) and you are limited to two pets only.

I have plans on showing, I may or may not it depends greatly on if I want to spend that type of money getting them prepped for the show ring or if the money would be better spent spoiling them and myself, lol.

I want to own at least three-four more cats. I have a love of Devon Rex cats, Persians, and Savannah's. The cats would be easier to make into a "pride" and than adding the dogs. I want my first cat to be a kitten and my first dog to be young enough to get a long with the kitten. So maybe a kitten and puppy at the same time or the kitten two months later. I would than add another cat or kitten into the mix. I don't mind older cats, but I really want to fulfill my dreams of being a Devon Rex and Persian owner.

A GSD would be added along with a Lab to start off the "pack". From that point on, it would depend on the two dog's training and temperament. The Lab would be male, so I was thinking on a female GSD. I may end up doing the opposite though.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
In my dream world, where it rains doughnuts, I'd live in Alaska and there would be a pack of wolves that sorta hung around my 3 story log cabin heated by geothermal hotsprings. (there is a National Geographic documentary wherein a fella DOES live with a pack for a few years)

In reality I'd be pleased as punch to have a female and male GSD that didn't try and eat my Bengal kitty.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Well of course right now we have Shasta and her little brother on the way early next year. I'd like to have another Sheltie someday to go with them. My husband wants a Rottweiler, but this is my dream so he's out of luck.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think I have the perfect combination as of right now. :) With :

Lukas: My heartdog, my grumpy cuddly pet
Jaxon: My brave boy, my superstar.
Pigeon: My cat. Who loves me when she wants to.

I'm planning on adding a female GSD to that group. And hopefully another male (albeit far in the future and only because I know where I want to get him from! :D )

I'd love to have a Malamute or a smaller dog. Corgi most likely.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'd have my family, and 2 GSDs, my male and a female. I'm hoping that someday Zeke's breeder does another working/show outcross but she also has a young female that is a potential future breeder that I really, really like. Someday...

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Since it's all a dream I'd love to have Stosh and one or two other gsds, maybe a Dutch and we would earn a living herding sheep someplace cool and green, which is definitely not TX.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Since it's all a dream I'd love to have Stosh and one or two other gsds, maybe a Dutch and we would earn a living herding sheep someplace cool and green, which is definitely not TX.
I live somewhere cool and green and, trust me, it can get old just about as fast as hot and dusty.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I live somewhere cool and green and, trust me, it can get old just about as fast as hot and dusty.
I do too but New England never gets old.
As for dream pack I would like to add a male GSD. But the alpha bitch
would never go for it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have my perfect pack! Little lapdog male Speedy and my sweet workingline blanket back female, Saber! But, when she is say 7 or 8, I want to get a working line dark sable male :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
If I won the lottery tonight I would have the pack of my dreams!! It would be two GSD's on 20 acres or more. I would also have a barn, at least 6 cats and a couple of horses. Oh, and some sheep or goats and a hen house with some chickens. That is my idea of a perfect pack. :) Plus, my veggie gardens. Oh, I would also like to have nice weather but I guess this isn't a "wish" list thread and I guess plants don't count as a pack. Does it count that I talk to my veggie plants? :blush:

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
My dream pack would be: a GSD from all the lines, a Golden Retriever, Pomeranian, a Papillion, a Rough Collie, a Border Collie, a Alaskan Malamute, a few cats,and horses.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts