German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we are out on a family walk, and one of us leaves the group, for example, my son had to use the restroom so he turned and headed back home while we continued in the opposite direction,my GSD gets very upset about a family member leaving the "pack". He screams, tries to go after the person leaving our group, and even will grab the leash and try to tug it away in an effort to go after the person leaving the group. Many times because he is so upset, we will have to all go back home as a group.

My GSD also watches the whole family while we are out walking, he will continually turn around and check and make sure that everybody is together. If one of us falls too far behind, he will stop and wait till we are all together again. Is this part of the shepherd blood, a natural instinct of watching the "flock" and is this common GSD behavior? My lab doesn't care in the least if we are in a group, or if the group splits up, he just continues walking on with whichever one of us that is walking him.

Additional details: He walks well on the leash, he does not pull, and he heels.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
It's pretty common. Whenever I or my husband is out of town, the dogs are a lot more alert and barkey. Once when I was sick my husband tried to take both dogs for a walk and Rocky refused to go without me. And yes, if my husband takes one dog and jogs a little ways, the other dog gets distressed and wants to keep the pack together. That's part of the herding behavior.

·
Registered
642 Posts
lol. my dogs are the same way. i have a shepherd and a lab too. my lab will though, turn around the see where you are. when we go hiking she'll go just to out of site and then wait for you and then go further up again and wait. my shepherd likes to stick close by

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My lab doesn't get upset about the group breaking up he goes with whomever is walking him but off leash he stays close to me and follows me everywhere. I used to take him outside without a leash at night when no one else was walking their dog (he is dog aggressive) and he would just follow along behind me UNTIL one night he saw a guy walking and took off after him growling! The guy had to jump on top of a car, what a scare! I was afraid the guy was going to call the police, and after we apologized and secured the dog in the house, he simply said-don't worry about it, it happens to me all the time. Really? Wow, but anyhow, I am glad that he didn't report us for vicious dog at large.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's pretty common. Whenever I or my husband is out of town, the dogs are a lot more alert and barkey. Once when I was sick my husband tried to take both dogs for a walk and Rocky refused to go without me. And yes, if my husband takes one dog and jogs a little ways, the other dog gets distressed and wants to keep the pack together. That's part of the herding behavior.
It always amuses me when he does it, and although sometimes it's a pain, on the other hand his desire for us all to stay together and watchfulness of us is endearing.

·
Registered
288 Posts
mine does the same! she doesnt particularly care for my son( he tolerates her and she reciprocates, she LOVES ME AND MY DAUGHTER) but if he is walking with us and if he decides to go the other way in the middle of the walk , then Mia will get quite ticked off and dig her heels and wait and glare at him till he is forced to join us! and once he does she is not impressed with him and he is made very aware of that!:D

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Abby gets upset on walks if one of us goes ahead or falls behind. She will either drag to catch up or stall to wait for the one fallen behind. Then when we are 'together again' she will get excited and mouthy with the person who just rejoined.... her way of saying welcome back.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
totally normal.... though none of mine have ever done the screaming thing. They're just REALLY on edge and making continuing on difficult lol. Zena never let the kids out of her sight on walks and if my husband would take off running with one of the kids in their stroller, Zena would try to chase him down and bring him back lol. Shasta just circles us but she's usually on a long line so she stays close and keeps an eye on everyone. She watches kids like a hawk. not just my kids either. Other kids. One kids fell off the swing at the playground the other day and started crying. Shasta was VERY upset with that childs mother, barking and whining at her like WHY DID YOU LET THAT HAPPEN!??! lol

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
totally normal.... though none of mine have ever done the screaming thing. They're just REALLY on edge and making continuing on difficult lol. Zena never let the kids out of her sight on walks and if my husband would take off running with one of the kids in their stroller, Zena would try to chase him down and bring him back lol. Shasta just circles us but she's usually on a long line so she stays close and keeps an eye on everyone. She watches kids like a hawk. not just my kids either. Other kids. One kids fell off the swing at the playground the other day and started crying. Shasta was VERY upset with that childs mother, barking and whining at her like WHY DID YOU LET THAT HAPPEN!??! lol
This story brought back a memory of me teaching my daughter to ride a bike, Brutus was in the backyard and my hubby was vacuuming the car. I was running along side my daughter holding onto the back seat of her bike, and then I let go so she could go along by herself, and she fell, and it happened so quickly that somehow, clumsy me, tripped over her bike and fell as well. Brutus, of course, was keeping an eye on us, but since he was behind the fence, he couldn't get to us, and he is a screamer, I will have to post a video sometime of how big his mouth can be when he gets going, anyhow, he jumped on the fence and barked and screamed until he got my husbands attention and my husband then saw us laying in a heap on the sidewalk, and he was like what the heck! Hubby hadn't seen or heard a thing with the vacuum running until Brutus let it be known that we'd had an accident. I love that dog!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Sasha doesn't seem to be too concerned when I'm out and about with people but when I lived at my mom's she was not to happy if the whole "pack" wasn't home when she was ready to go to bed. This missing pack member was generally my brother. I swear she knows his curfew. If he's even 1/2 hour late he gets to hear about it. She will actually wake up from a sleep, meet him at the door, and grumble at him for a minute, then turn around and go to bed lol!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
This story brought back a memory of me teaching my daughter to ride a bike, Brutus was in the backyard and my hubby was vacuuming the car. I was running along side my daughter holding onto the back seat of her bike, and then I let go so she could go along by herself, and she fell, and it happened so quickly that somehow, clumsy me, tripped over her bike and fell as well. Brutus, of course, was keeping an eye on us, but since he was behind the fence, he couldn't get to us, and he is a screamer, I will have to post a video sometime of how big his mouth can be when he gets going, anyhow, he jumped on the fence and barked and screamed until he got my husbands attention and my husband then saw us laying in a heap on the sidewalk, and he was like what the heck! Hubby hadn't seen or heard a thing with the vacuum running until Brutus let it be known that we'd had an accident. I love that dog!

they really can be so dramatic! lol

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when our dog was a pup part of
his training was seperation training (that's
i call it). while walking the dog (leashed)
we could seperate. we also would seperate
with the dog off leash. when i went in another
direction i would say "go with Rosie" and my when
my GF went in another direction she would say "go with
Tillmon". now we when seperate he has no reaction.
he looks but no noise or acting anxious. when he"s off leash
and we seperate he stays with the other person with no
problem.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Jazz doesn't scream but he notices and keeps looking and watching the person leaving the group. He did the same thing in training class last week. We had a couple that were watching the class and they left half-way through. He was the only dog that was paying attention to the fact that they were leaving the group.

·
Registered
564 Posts
What a good shepherd keeping track of the flock. He is doing what he was bred to do I love it. You should bring him around some sheep and see the real talent come out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the pack must stay together

[FO
NT="Arial Black"][/FONT]
My GSD does the same type of thing all the time. every time we go out she is constantly looking behind her to gather everyone in the family together. she will not go in the house until I reach the door and open it to let her in. What a love, what an amazing animal. Bellawella

1 - 16 of 16 Posts