German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were going to pick up Girl Scout cookies at my friend's house yesterday. She lives right on the edge of a big wooded area where we like to hike, so I decided to bring Rumo and walk our usual loop before heading for her house. But 1/5 of the way in, Rumo began extremely sniffy and insisted on taking a small trail that veered off to the right. The sign said, "Crow Branch". I was like, "I hope you know where you're going, because I don't!" So he sniffed his way along the trail intently, then he suddenly went Off the trail!! I followed him through the woods, and in a short while, we came back to the main gravel path again! He has never insisted on deviating like that.

At dinner, I happened to ask my husband, "When you went running in the woods on Sunday, were you ever on the Crow Branch trail?"
And he said, "Yes, I was. I don't usually run there but the other trail was too muddy. Then I cut back to the road."
I was like, "Wow! Rumo tracked you!!"

Dog noses are amazing! So he tracked my husband's 22 hour old smell...

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
That is so cool it’s very exciting to watch them trail. Talking about what the dog knows I don’t think Cat Warren found another cadaver or sar’s dog. Hoping to read another book by her like the first one.

·
Super Moderator
4,634 Posts
That is pretty cool. Perhaps you and your sweetheart could set up more of those scenarios on purpose for fun. My dogs do man-trailing and I love watching them solve the mystery of finding the hidden person.
the other day my dog was supposed to find coffee (long story as to why we chose that scent) and he thought he'd pull a fast one on me and fake me out. He thinks he's funny.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I can see his slight smile...love the video!

impressive that he can track by word!
Do you have to give him a sniff of the "thing" first before you ask him to track it? Or he just knows the name of it?

I am already dreaming up tracking games where I walk out of the house and around the corner out of sight, and my husband brings Rumo to come find me. I think it will really build his confidence and he'll think it's great fun. I think he is very "Nosy" because he had an eye condition (entropion) for years before we adopted him. My theory is that he could not see well, so he relied on his nose a lot.

·
Super Moderator
4,634 Posts
My dogs already know the smell of coffee. They do that search in the house nearly each weekday. My big-boy used to hunt for his toy in the yard but it has been awhile and I thought he might have forgotten what Woobah was. But he figured it out.
When we go Man-trailing he gets a specific item that smells like the person he has to hunt for.

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
That's a great story!A year or so before our little sheltie passed away he was deaf and almost totally blind,but still enjoyed walks.If he stopped to sniff something interesting the other dogs and I would get quite a way ahead then stop and wait for the old guy.He'd put his nose to the ground and follow our meandering trail.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So we played "Find Mom".
I left house and walked around corner and hid behind a big pine tree, and in a few minutes he came out with husband, he tracked and found me!

He was so excited and happy that he had intense zoomies for about 5 minutes afterwards! :LOL:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts