German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My puppy was such a well-behaved dog when he first came to our house as a 10 week old. Then things have started to go to the opposite way when he hit the adolescence. I even thought that getting a GSD maybe wasn't for me and I should have got a French Bulldog instead. 😀 His biting problem was getting out of hand, he was becoming an utterly disobedient pup. Then I watched one of Larry Krohn's videos and he would say I should correct his unwanted behaviors, not try to redirect etc. Saying a loud "No!", grabbing the back of his neck seemed like working. But they were not 100 % effective. Then the other day I used a bonker for the first time while he was getting loud and reactive right before our regular evening hike. At first it seemed like he thought the bonker was a toy and tried to play with it. Then I applied it a second and third time. His "spoiled kid" manners disappeared instantly. I didn't even need to use the bonker another time since then but his leash reactivity is now gone almost 80 %, he immediately sits when I say "sit" (I realized the reason he wouldn't sit wasn't his lack of knowledge of the command but was his stubbornness), his nonsense in the crate (he would try to "dig" the platform beneath the crate) is almost totally gone. Also it seems he now knows I mean business when I say "No!". I feel like he respects me more but he's still confident and happy. I don't think using a bonker couple of times has messed up my relationship with him. Our relationship is now much better and it seems he now respects me as his leader. I don't understand why people think trainers like Gary Wilkes or Jeff Gellman are abusive trainers just because they recommend the use of a bonker. The bonker won't hurt your dog, it won't hurt his feelings and will make you a happier dog owner. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I remember there was a previous thread about bonkers. They are not a particularly good method of correcting a strong-nerved dog like a GSD. Most GSDs would think the bonker is a great new toy:

·
Banned
400 Posts
I remember there was a previous thread about bonkers. They are not a particularly good method of correcting a strong-nerved dog like a GSD. Most GSDs would think the bonker is a great new toy:
I don't have any experience using the bonker but Larry Krohn recommends Gary's bonker technique as an option @ 2:56 on timer:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
This feels like a blast from the past. We used to have Bonker-war threads because it was a technique promoted by a certain long-gone poster who offered "expert advice," based on "vast knowledge" gleaned from owning some other breed and watching Youtube videos. I think we've covered this in mega threads in the archives -- more than once.

I'll just add for future newbies who find this thread: the TL;DR summary of the past Bonker War threads from people who've owned and trained a lot of dogs is that if you need to throw crap at your dog to control it, you might consider getting off of Youtube and into a live class with a great trainer who knows and loves the breed.

·
Super Moderator
5,506 Posts
I'm staying out of this other than to say that there are more effective techniques that don't have negative unintended consequences.

·
Banned
400 Posts
I'm staying out of this other than to say that there are more effective techniques that don't have negative unintended consequences.
Don't mean to put you on the spot but can you please speak of the "negative unintended consequences" of the "bonker" for everyone?

Here is what Larry says in the video @2:56 :

" Look up Gary Wilkes, he'll show you how to make a bonker. Very effective. That dog bites, a loud NO! with a good wack of a bonker will really help. And guess what? You're not going to hurt the dog, you're not going to hurt his feelings. That dog is not going to grow messed up because you corrected him as a puppy. " - Larry Krohn

·
Registered
Sutter Cain (dog), Jori (cat), Skeeter (cat)
142 Posts
You can make your dog fearful, ruin the trust bond between you and your dog, make the dog quicker to bite, less likely to want to listen, get your dog to simply shut down and become unresponsive or make them more frustrated and aggressive.

It may not physically hurt the dog or leave marks and visible injuries, but it's abusive and there are much better ways to correct your dog than shouting at them and whapping them over the head.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
To summarize, if your dog is fearful, a bonker will make him/her more fearful.
If your dog has strong nerves, he/she will likely treat it as a new toy.

There are MUCH better ways of correcting your dog.

To give another example: some pet dog trainers use a shake can - a can full of pennies or pebbles - to correct a dog for unwanted behaviour. If you have a timid dog, this MIGHT work, but he/she will only respect you when you have the shake can handy.

I rolled a shake can across the floor to test the nerves of a GSD puppy I was thinking of buying. She chased after it, and thought it was a wonderful toy! 🤣

One size does not fit all when training dogs, and the bonker is nothing more than a gimmick.

·
Registered
851 Posts
hmm...is having a dog about having a companion or controlling an animal?
what does your attitude towards your pet say about you? Is your dog a companion or a possession? which is more important- what others think you your ability to control and animal or how you treat your best friend who would do almost anything you ask of it?

so many questions!!!!

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
I think OP is just trying to correct crazy butthead teenage behavior, not to control an animal.

·
Banned
400 Posts
I'll just add for future newbies who find this thread: the TL;DR summary of the past Bonker War threads from people who've owned and trained a lot of dogs is that if you need to throw crap at your dog to control it, you might consider getting off of Youtube and into a live class with a great trainer who knows and loves the breed.
Actually, @David Winners recommends Larry Krohn:

"I would suggest Larry Krohn at Pak Masters in Nashville." - David Winners

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
Actually, @David Winners recommends Larry Krohn:

"I would suggest Larry Krohn at Pak Masters in Nashville." - David Winners

You seem very fond of quoting other people and suggesting trainers you really don't understand. You take things out of context a lot as well.
It is clear you can read and study, but I would suggest more hands on if you do not understand why a bonker should not be recommended.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
There are so many ways to instill respect between human and canine. @Memo182, my last boy, at 2yrs old and 103 lbs czech WL used to do the snappy happy dance when the prong and leash came out because it meant fun time. Yes he was being bratty but he was happy. All I had to do to extinguish 100% of the brattyness was to stay still til he settled himself down. I just waited him out. Only took about 10 mins or so for him to realize he wasn’t going anywhere until he sat and all I did was stay still. each “Next time“ was shorter and inside of a week He would just rush to me and,sit. And it was extinguished 100%

same with my new pup at mealtime. He goes nuts barking and jumping. All I have had to do is stop prepping the meal and look at him. No words, just a matter of fact look. He stops, looks at me and He sits. If I continue the look, he will offer a down. the behavior is not yet 100% but a little more time and it will be. And. All I have to do is look at him. Just looking at him is way more satisfying than hitting him with anything. Plus I get to praise him for using his brain.

I’m not a trainer, just a newbie and onto my 2nd GSD. I want the respect from this little guy that my boy gave me so I listen to the good trainers on here past and present, listen to my heart and my dogs. Bonking isn’t a good idea based on the info in that Sunsilver linked to “ Bonkers (the training tool……)

·
Banned
400 Posts
You seem very fond of quoting other people and suggesting trainers you really don't understand. You take things out of context a lot as well.
It is clear you can read and study, but I would suggest more hands on if you do not understand why a bonker should not be recommended.
Can you please show me where I suggested a trainer I really don't understand ?

Did I take something out of context in this thread? If I did, I will publicly apologize.

If I took something out of context in another thread I really wish you or others would point it out right away. That is how some of us learn. That being said, can you please go to the thread where I took things out of context and show me and I will be more than happy to correct myself and apologize?

As far as bonker goes, it is being suggested as a tool by OP and his method is validated by Larry Krohn.

David Winners recommends Larry Krohn but it seems that he disagrees with this "bonker" approach; which is okay.

David says:
And this is what I said:

Don't mean to put you on the spot but can you please speak of the "negative unintended consequences" of the "bonker" for everyone?

Here is what Larry says in the video @2:56 :

" Look up Gary Wilkes, he'll show you how to make a bonker. Very effective. That dog bites, a loud NO! with a good wack of a bonker will really help. And guess what? You're not going to hurt the dog, you're not going to hurt his feelings. That dog is not going to grow messed up because you corrected him as a puppy. " - Larry Krohn
Larry is saying there are NO issues and David is saying there is. I have NO doubt that David has a logical reason for what he is saying and I would like to hear it. If you don't, then don't read this thread. Simple.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
My puppy was such a well-behaved dog when he first came to our house as a 10 week old. Then things have started to go to the opposite way when he hit the adolescence. I even thought that getting a GSD maybe wasn't for me and I should have got a French Bulldog instead. 😀 His biting problem was getting out of hand, he was becoming an utterly disobedient pup. Then I watched one of Larry Krohn's videos and he would say I should correct his unwanted behaviors, not try to redirect etc. Saying a loud "No!", grabbing the back of his neck seemed like working. But they were not 100 % effective. Then the other day I used a bonker for the first time while he was getting loud and reactive right before our regular evening hike. At first it seemed like he thought the bonker was a toy and tried to play with it. Then I applied it a second and third time. His "spoiled kid" manners disappeared instantly. I didn't even need to use the bonker another time since then but his leash reactivity is now gone almost 80 %, he immediately sits when I say "sit" (I realized the reason he wouldn't sit wasn't his lack of knowledge of the command but was his stubbornness), his nonsense in the crate (he would try to "dig" the platform beneath the crate) is almost totally gone. Also it seems he now knows I mean business when I say "No!". I feel like he respects me more but he's still confident and happy. I don't think using a bonker couple of times has messed up my relationship with him. Our relationship is now much better and it seems he now respects me as his leader. I don't understand why people think trainers like Gary Wilkes or Jeff Gellman are abusive trainers just because they recommend the use of a bonker. The bonker won't hurt your dog, it won't hurt his feelings and will make you a happier dog owner. That's my two cents.
My lack of regard for a lot of trainers aside Memo, if you notice in a couple of days he isn't listening or obeying again, don't get carried away with that thing. Its easier to do then you may realize, and I'm not anti correction. Those types of hitting or startling interruptions need to be used briefly and be replaced by something more consistent and fair to be productive.

·
Super Moderator
7,635 Posts
David stated he is not going to post on this thread. Message him if you can't rest until you know Jen.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts