German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made it to the back yard to test out the Mark III this afternoon. What a better subject to try out the new camera/lens on than The Kodamonster? :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sp00ks - Boy ;) I'm noticing a little vignette from the new lens (Not unheard of from a cheap lens), but I am adding a little in post, yes

I'm actually not doing much post to these at all though, just bumping up the contrast and highlights, then adding a bit of a vignette. I don't like heavy post.

Nikon22 - I just switched from Nikon back to Canon. I had a D3s :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'll say this about the Canon vs. Nikon debate. I can spot a Nikon image a mile away. I just don't like the color tones. However, with that said I think I would prefer Nikon for portrait work. I have shot Canon since I could afford a Camera back in the AL-1/AE-1 days. I wanted an F-1 so bad... Ok, showing my age.

I don't like heavy post either. Since I shoot RAW, my post processing is typically getting my color balance, exposure, etc. consistent through out the shoot. That is about it. I batch a lot.

I really want a Camera body that I can use my L glass to shoot video. I don't know why. I would probably do it a couple times and not touch it again.

·
Banned
276 Posts
I completely agree. I've been trying to duplicate canon tones but it requires way to most processing.

I shoot mainly weddings and senior portraits. Occasionally high school sports.

Well sorry for hijacking. I'll start a camera thread :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I just dug up a shot taken with my old Nikon...

You can easily see the difference between the shots above and this one...And I promise you guys it has nothing to do with my editing. I always shoot in RAW and I don't over-edit.

I've noticed since my switch back to Canon, however, that post seems to be much easier to deal with. I'll reiterate, I don't like to do a lot of it, but it seems like I don't have to fight with my images as much...They're cooperating more.

I work at a well-known local camera store, and I won't say I love one more than the other, but I WILL say that I made the switch because I feel that Canon will be more cost effective in the long run. You don't necessarily need to send things out when it comes to Canon, it can be fixed "in house". With Nikon, it has to go back to the manufacturer, which is costly. My main reason for switching back.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really want a Camera body that I can use my L glass to shoot video. I don't know why. I would probably do it a couple times and not touch it again.
Have you looked into the C-100's? Not that you have the money to drop on those...Haha

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A couple of Miss Rilington (She needs a bath so badly...I would do it, but I can't exactly do it right now, for obvious reasons, heh)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Re: The Kodamonster.

That ain't no German Shepherd, that's a full on Ham!

Jelpy

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, Jelpy! Too funny. You're right. He is a ham, isn't he? :wub:

As always, thank you Stevenzachsmom :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have been lamenting not going Canon.. if my husband read tat e would kill me lol

I am finding the new D800 to be almost too sharp and punchy , even when I dial back on the MP setting.

I just have SO much glass , some of it dating back to the late 70s. I have the full newer VRII library too..It seems so daunting a task to go ahead and switch. I do think the MK III would ave served me better than the D800 , except for large wall sized prints. The D800 really does come close to medium format as the reviews claim( I made an absolute flawless 8 ft x 10ft metal print with it ) , but as a walk around and as a general portrait work/photojournalism stuff ..the MK III would have been more versatile and less work . JMO.

I love your work , and your dogs are beautiful :) Hope your recovery goes well and quickly :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been lamenting not going Canon.. if my husband read tat e would kill me lol

I am finding the new D800 to be almost too sharp and punchy , even when I dial back on the MP setting.

I just have SO much glass , some of it dating back to the late 70s. I have the full newer VRII library too..It seems so daunting a task to go ahead and switch. I do think the MK III would ave served me better than the D800 , except for large wall sized prints. The D800 really does come close to medium format as the reviews claim( I made an absolute flawless 8 ft x 10ft metal print with it ) , but as a walk around and as a general portrait work/photojournalism stuff ..the MK III would have been more versatile and less work . JMO.

I love your work , and your dogs are beautiful :) Hope your recovery goes well and quickly :)
Thank you for the compliments and the well wishes :)

It's difficult to switch...Except when your camera gear gets destroyed, haha.

Rather than getting upset, I tried to have a bit of fun with my broken 24-70 and took a few pictures with the end of the glass that snapped off. I used my phone and Instagrammed some pictures. Here's one shots I took.

It's obviously of Riley, my other pup.

I did find my Nikon gear to be punchy and difficult to process, like I said, but it was great for HDR work. I got incredible shots of the Grand Canyon and Antelope Canyon...

I would never have gotten those colors unless I worked harder post with my new Mark III, in my opinion :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just renewed my website, it expired while I was in the hospital. I need to link my domain back up to it, I just haven't had time. Plus I need to revamp it, it's kind of out dated :eek: Go to my FB for now

1 - 20 of 23 Posts