German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Training a dog is hard. If you are looking to train a puppy or young dog on simple house commands, the key is to be firm. My puppy will never listen to me or my mom when she is told but maybe that's because we both are not always firm. When you are telling your dog to sit, you have to say SIT!! but not in the yelling form. Another thing is: you need to reward your dog when he or she listens to your commands. Looking for treats that dogs love?? Try these: Waggin' Train Jerky Tenders. My dogs love those!:gsdbeggin:

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Are those chicken treats made in china? I know a lot of people will not buy anything from china due to quality issues.

As for your post, I agree that all commands need to be clear, but it's also important to make training fun. At least that's my experience with it. Make training a game... involve toys... always make the puppy/dog want to come back for more because it's so much fun.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
It depends on your definition of "firm". If you have a softer dog, firm might shut them down.

I agree that all training needs to be fun. If you start out with a puppy and practice NILIF it really works and builds a great bond between you and the dog.
The first thing I really work on is focus. (For me, it's the "on me" command)
If your dog is locked in on you because they know that "all good things come" from you, you can almost whisper a command and get a response.

Clear and consistent is also important.

·
Super Moderator
32,309 Posts
My puppy will never listen to me or my mom when she is told but maybe that's because we both are not always firm.
Or maybe because she doesn't fully understand the command yet.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Training a dog is the easiest thing in the world. Training people on the other hand. . .:rolleyes:
:spittingcoffee:

:rofl:

So true. However, I would never use a 2 X 4 to train a dog, a person however..............................

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Training a dog is hard. If you are looking to train a puppy or young dog on simple house commands, the key is to be firm. My puppy will never listen to me or my mom when she is told but maybe that's because we both are not always firm. When you are telling your dog to sit, you have to say SIT!! but not in the yelling form. Another thing is: you need to reward your dog when he or she listens to your commands. Looking for treats that dogs love?? Try these: Waggin' Train Jerky Tenders. My dogs love those!:gsdbeggin:
For puppies and young dogs, I don't think 'firm' is in my training at all.

What I do have is fun. Training is FUN FUN FUN! And wow, are my pups smart and fast :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are those chicken treats made in china? I know a lot of people will not buy anything from china due to quality issues.

As for your post, I agree that all commands need to be clear, but it's also important to make training fun. At least that's my experience with it. Make training a game... involve toys... always make the puppy/dog want to come back for more because it's so much fun.

Yeah, that too. I'm not the most experienced but it's true to be firm but also make it fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts