German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are things I wish people had told me when I first became interested in raw feeding. I wish it had been made clear to me how dangerous the whole thing was.

Everyone thinks it's the best thing ever....until something happens. And, for me, it finally has. I suppose it was inevitable.

This morning started out fine. I went to the freezer and got out Gabe's breakfast like I do every morning. He likes it frozen hard as a rock. The frosty bag of frozen chicken began to thaw in my fingers. Before I even realized it, the bag slipped from my hand....and fell right onto my foot.

While I hobbled around the kitchen, saying and thinking all sorts of things that should not be repeated in polite conversation, Gable danced around me, excited for his breakfast. I remember saying something very not-nice, like "If you step on it, I'll kill you!"...there may have been some more colorful language peppered throughout that sentence as well.

No one thinks it will ever happen to them, but here I sit, with a throbbing broken toe, as a symbol and a cautionary tale to all of you people out there considering raw feeding. The dangers may not be clear to you until later...but they're out there.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
OUCH! I feed frozen chicken in the morning as well. I've dropped and a few chicken legs and had them shoot across the kitchen floor, but luckily no broken bones yet.

I will learn from your experiance and use more care. LOL!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Ouch! Sorry about the broken toe. Today is the day Fiona goes raw, so I am going to dance around while holding the frozen raw food. Making my feet and toes harder to target.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Um, maybe apply a frozen steak to reduce the swelling?

For some reason my dog runs out of the kitchen whenever I open the freezer door, now I know why.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Indeed you should, Lilie. If even one toe can be spared, then this experience at least had meaning.

Cheyanna, that mental image is amazing.

Gretchen, somehow, the idea of applying more frozen meat to the injured toe does not sound appealing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I dont mean to laugh but that is kind of funny. I have images of an excited dog dancing around while you @!#%**%#@ and the dog looking like what??? Hope your toe heals soon...

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Um, maybe apply a frozen steak to reduce the swelling?

For some reason my dog runs out of the kitchen whenever I open the freezer door, now I know why.
I have an island in the middle of my kitchen. That is where my sink is. When I start doing dishes, Hondo will leave the kitchen. Just because I've dropped a pan or two when placing them on the counter to dry shouldn't make the dog high tail it for the hills.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Ouch! :eek: I hope it heals soon, that sucks

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont mean to laugh but that is kind of funny. I have images of an excited dog dancing around while you @!#%**%#@ and the dog looking like what??? Hope your toe heals soon...
:) Schadenfreude. It's understandable. I'm glad my pain could amuse!

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Ah, yes. The Frozen-Raw-Food-Broken-Toe syndrome. I've had that happen many a time (only actually broken one but has happened many times and all have FELT broken)

Other dangers include the ...

I-Can't-Remember-To-Keep-My-Mouth-Shut-While-Chopping ... where you get bits of raw food flying into your mouth

Get-Yourself-A-Pair-of-Butcher-Gloves ... to prevent you from cutting off bits of fingers (like I have)

Feeding Frenzy ... when the starving (in their mind only) dogs are circling and circling, just waiting for their bowl and you trip over them (was less of a risk before I got these little dogs!)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'm sorry, as well, but your post is too amusing and I am giggling here, hehehehe, the dangers!

I do hope your toe heals nicely :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, yes. The Frozen-Raw-Food-Broken-Toe syndrome. I've had that happen many a time (only actually broken one but has happened many times and all have FELT broken)

Other dangers include the ...

I-Can't-Remember-To-Keep-My-Mouth-Shut-While-Chopping ... where you get bits of raw food flying into your mouth

Get-Yourself-A-Pair-of-Butcher-Gloves ... to prevent you from cutting off bits of fingers (like I have)

Feeding Frenzy ... when the starving (in their mind only) dogs are circling and circling, just waiting for their bowl and you trip over them (was less of a risk before I got these little dogs!)
I'm glad another battle-scarred veteran can empathize. People really don't understand how hazardous raw feeding can be. I've yet to personally experience the GYAPOBG Syndrome, but, really, it's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I was wondering omg what happened and started reading and now, I can't stop laughing.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Lmfao this is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh this morning =) I've had my share of dangerous raw food moments as well

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Sorry about your toe, honestly. Consider it a badge of honor on how much you love your dog. I am about to get two fresh tripes to cut up this afternoon. Thanks for the reminder to be careful cause the knife has been sharpened already.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
As someone who had this happen to her, via frozen chicken, I certainly can empathize.
I can also recommend something that helped me tremendously.
I actually went and had a doctor visit, only to be told this is all that can be done.

Amazon.com: 3pp Toe Loops: Health & Personal Care

Taping works too, but the tape messes up your skin. These are fantastic, and can be washed and reused. Hope you heal quickly.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I almost cut my thumb off cutting up meat. Serated knife did its job. It was about 8 months ago, and I still don't have feeling in the knuckle.
Raw feeding is a danger....broken bones, gashes, and blood. That isn't the meat I'm talking about!
I hope your toe heals ok...ouch!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I'm cracking up. Sorry bout your toe. Hope it heals quickly! Shasta just gets raw treats now and again. I will remember your story each time I get one of her chicken wings out of the freezer though. That bag has been known to attack rather violently. Poor cat never stood a chance!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts