German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gang, looking for some input here.
I have extensive background with heeler breeds, and am VERY familiar with the instinct to not only follow/ chase, but also the "nip" instinct (oh, the horrid memories and scarred ankles).
Duke is our 1st GSD, and we have a 4 YO daughter.
He is doing GREAT with not biting/ mouthing our hands/ feet, but we are having a bit of a tough time with his behavior with our daughter.
She's not old enough to fully understand (or vocalize) how to be in charge with the dog, so unfortunately we have lots of crying when Duke nips her on the ankle, toe, hand, you name it (fill in body part).
I know he doesn't mean anything but playful intentions, but I am a bit concerned about our daughter not developing a strong bond.
Additional info: Duke is a BABY (coming up on 7 weeks).
Ideas/ thoughts on how to address???
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
107 Posts
What him like a hawk. It took us a solid 6 weeks of firm giving a firm "NO!" before it stopped (from 8-14 weeks old).

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I always closely supervised puppy/child interactions. Baby gates to keep separated, crate, leash, whatever.
They interacted, but only with me there. ...and only a tired puppy. Puppy was tired, puppy didn't jump/nip. Everybody had a good experience. All of my dogs that I have raised, can be around my child and nieces/nephews.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I always closely supervised puppy/child interactions. Baby gates to keep separated, crate, leash, whatever.
They interacted, but only with me there. ...and only a tired puppy. Puppy was tired, puppy didn't jump/nip. Everybody had a good experience. All of my dogs that I have raised, can be around my child and nieces/nephews.
All of the above. We got our GSD puppy when our son had just turned 3.
He was old enough to say in a firm voice "NO" and then offer a chew toy to the pup so your daughter being a year older should have no problems with that. In all interactions with the pup our son knew he had to carry a chew toy and when Luther nipped him he was to say "NO" and offer him the toy instead. This worked VERY well for us and the pup learned very quickly that he could chew the toy but not our son. Just an idea.
In this photo Luther was only home for about a week and it was working really well......they were able to play happily.....my son was not getting chewed up and Luther was still able to bite something. If your daughter has it with her all the time when playing with the pup it might help them get along a bit better.
Good Luck.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great input. I love the idea of carrying the chew toy and giving it to him when a "nip" happens.
We (obviously) watch him with our daughter like a hawk. She is big enough now to not get in trouble with him (again, he's only 7 weeks TODAY actually! =) ), but we just don't want her to be timid/ afraid of him.

Again, thanks for all the input. The puppy biting thread was a great read, Emoore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts