German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i doubt any of you guys remember me. I had a dog who was agressive with my younger siblings, i posted here and got alot of replies. The good news is she has greatly improved by just having them feed her and take charge alot more. She isn't perfect but MUCH better.

Anyway that isn't why i am posting again. The neighbors have labs. I was down at their house with my dog and their one lab and my dog were playing. We were talking normally when i hear a screech from my pup as the lab puts its paws in the air and lands on my dog.It was nothing that would hurt her she wasn't in pain.Even before that i noticed her fear for the neighbors and their dogs. But after that she screams every time their dog or even they would make a sudden move toward her. She is a fearful pup, never afraid of me or even other strangers who have come to the house before. I have seen her want to protect our family by puting her hair up and barking at the meter man;however she was afraid of her own shadow today. Every so often there is someone or something that makes her afraid. too often. Does anyone know what i am talking about? She is this way with alot of people but not everyone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw to add a few things about how she lives.....

We live in the boonies of PA

She runs all day,not happy if she isn't moving hehe
She gets tones of love and plenty of water and food.
Unfortunatelly she doesen't see many other dogs, we don't go many places with her, i mistake i know.But we are very isolated from lots of society.
She listens better than i could ask for.
Smartness wise, i give her a A+++ on her smelling , and as for between the ears she amazes me sometimes yet will make you laugh how many dumb things she has done and will do.

One thing that always gives me faith in her is the fact that she is more perfect and playfull and just a 100% complete dog when we are alone and the money is not on the table.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I remember you. It sounds like she's come a long way and that she's getting along a lot better with your siblings. That's great!

Our dog has some fear issues too. She's afraid of white-haired men, some men with loud voices, and some dogs--especially bigger males that want to play with her. She's afraid of the big black grate that goes to the basement where the hot air comes out of (she stares at it and walks way around it). She used to be scared of my husband and almost all men, and she used to be afraid of either one of us petting her on her back or sides. She was a rescue dog that was a stray, so who knows what her experiences were. We got her last October.

The good news is that in time she has gained a lot of confidence. She lets us pet her all over, she's not afraid of my husband anymore, and she's much less shy around strangers than she used to be. In our case, it just took time, patience, taking her around to a lot of new places and people (but not forcing her to so anything she was afraid of). She's still timid and jumpy around white haired men (like my dad and brother-in-law), but we give them really good treats to give her and she's coming around slowly.

Just be patient with her and let her know that you'll always protect her and she'll come around. Best of luck to the both of you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats good to hear. I figured it would have to wait and time would tell.But what beats me is she normaly urine if she is afraid or scared.After yesterday it makes me think it's still an excitment issue with her, thank God.One reason i am still suspicious is that (twice this happend) the neighbors dogs have came up to our house before and she a literaly chased them off before they had a chance to say hello and she has shown no signs of fear.

Stranger 1 comes to the house: Gretchen barks, barks some more. Growls, growls some more.I come out side, introduce her to the man. She warms up , he tries to pet her she urines runs around like a crazy woman .

Stranger 2 comes to the house: She barks for the first 10 mintues then after she warms up to him she wont go near him and roles into the submissive position when he tries to pet her.

Two different dogs.
(Also once in a blue moon, she will act like a normal dog)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts