German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever get the feeling your dog can see/sense spirits?? Haha, no seriously, don't call the nut-house on me yet. Hear me out..

I've seen Kai do this once. But I had a rottie that did it A LOT! He would stand at the end of one hallway in particular and stare down the empty hallway, sometimes looking up, sometimes straight ahead. He would bark like something was there..but there never was. It used to CREEP ME OUT!!

It happened other times, with him in a corner of a room barking at nothing or whining while staring at nothingness..

I swear he made me feel like my house was haunted.
Any similar experiences??..
:lurking:

·
Registered
124 Posts
We had a young family friend get in some trouble, so she came to live with us for about a year. She used to say our lab did the same thing. I never saw it happen, but she would swear our house was haunted... not like scary haunted, just something strange.

I don't believe in hauntings, but she insisted!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! I'm on the fence in regards to the paranormal, but when my rottie would do this, it seriously made me wonder. I even had the vet check his eyes to make sure it wasn't vision related!

I brought Benjamin (my rott) with me when I went to college. He never did this in the house we lived in before that. It used to piss my college friends off..because it would creep them out, too. lol...

maybe this is the reason why the landlord let me rent with a rottweiler! BC sure as heck nobody else would! Makes sense now..haha

·
Registered
124 Posts
lol. This all sounds very familiar now! She would call me and ask me where I was and say he is doing it again. I think at first she thought I was checking up on her and the lab was catching me. I finally ended up taking pictures of where I was during one incident to prove where I was and sending them to her phone so she would know I was not outside. She was very convinced!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm tellin ya...it's convincing! He had me VERY convinced he saw/sensed something that nobody else did..

wow..can't believe you had to send the girl photos haha thats nuts

·
Registered
124 Posts
yeah, that was early on and I wanted her to know I trusted her and she could believe me. To this day she still believes we have ghosts. :wild:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The fact that you get scared by your dogs bark is telling the dog that maybe there is something there and it is worth barking. If you are afraid the dog won't respond to you the same way if you are relaxed. Maybe there is a noise that you don't hear that your dog picks up on.

I have never seen a dog bark at a ghost. I've had dogs for 10 - 15 years and have never noticed it. As I've grown up I've realized I never seen or felt a ghost myself and consider them fiction. I have seen a dog bark from insecurity. And I know people whos dogs bark for no reason and they can't stop them.

I would light up the area where the dogs barks. See if he still barks when the area is well lite up. Chances are the dog will not bark unless it is dark, or there is a funny noise.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fact that you get scared by your dogs bark is telling the dog that maybe there is something there and it is worth barking. If you are afraid the dog won't respond to you the same way if you are relaxed. Maybe there is a noise that you don't hear that your dog picks up on.
It definitely wasn't his bark that was creeping me out. And there really wasn't any way for him to 'pick up' on my fear. I would just tell him to cut it out, but more in a comical way than a fearful way. The first few times, I'd come over and say 'what is it ben?? whatcha barking at??' and we'd walk down the hall and around in the rooms 'investigating'...but after doing that a few times and finding nothing, I'd just yell at him from the couch/computer/another room to cut it out. He wasn't a barker. He only barked when someone would pull in the driveway or approach the house. Or if someone was threatening me or talking to me in a threatening manner. Which just made it weirder..ha...

I always considered the possibility that there was a noise that he could hear that annoyed him..but..that doesn't explain why he would look as though he were intently looking at something...he was focused on something. I mean everything about his posture, his body language, his actions, etc indicated that there was something there that he was barking at.

Like I said, I thought Kai was doing it once, but probably not. Otherwise, I've never had another dog do it either, and moved from that place after 3 semesters. And Ben never exhibited that behavior again until the day he died..so..who knows??

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
LOL yes, I believe animals see spirits/ghosts. My cat Princess, that I had to have put to sleep when I was 14 hangs around. I have her ashes. My husband has been spooked by her, and I'm pretty sure she gets a strange joy from occasionally freaking out the other animals. It's hilarious. My husband has been woken up in the middle of the night because of a cat laying on his pillow. When he checked, there was no cat but there was an imprint! Neither of our current cats lay on pillows. He flipped out.

Shasta has been caught play bouncing at what appears to be nothing and then come screaming down the hall with scratch marks on her nose while both our cats were perched on the back of the couch in the living room behind me.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KZ, Holy CRAP that's creepy!! Stuff like that gives me the heebie jeebies. I'd have moved immediately :eek:

In my old house, the shower would cut on out of nowhere. The radios would cut on and the volume turned up to max. One night, I was asleep when I heard a very loud crash. It jolted me out of bed. I lived alone at the time, with just my rotti and two cats. I lived in like a tri-level house. I went down the stairs to the main level and cut on the light to look down into the downstairs. The big blue wingback chair that is usually on the main level had some how flown down the stairs and ALL the WAY across the room and flipped upside down. There was no way the cats could have done that.

I cried. Not gonna lie.
I stayed at my parents' for like a week.

12 Posts
I never believed in paranormal activity but I remember growing up in my grandmothers house and the dresser drawers would open and close on their own! Things would sit on the mattress beside you, you wouldn't see anything but the entire bed would "squish" down beside you! My sister lives in her house now and this stuff happens to her too! The family said it was my grandmothers sister who died at 23 of cancer..... We had no dogs growing up:(

At this point I still was not a believer until someone walked up our wooden stairs in our old farmhouse house!!! There's no way to mimic this noise and there's only 2 of us living here and we were both in bed and both heard it. The dogs did nothing, didn't even acknowledge the noise! We jumped out of bed with our guns and were ready just to find when they got to the top of the stairs there was nobody there!!! We don't do drugs, we don't drink alcohol so there's nothing that would have altered our mind to "think" we both hear something;))) LOL

We still talk about it to this day and find it very weird that the dogs did not respond in anyway?.! My theory is that they're used to living with them:)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Anyone ever get the feeling your dog can see/sense spirits?? Haha, no seriously, don't call the nut-house on me yet. Hear me out..

I've seen Kai do this once. But I had a rottie that did it A LOT! He would stand at the end of one hallway in particular and stare down the empty hallway, sometimes looking up, sometimes straight ahead. He would bark like something was there..but there never was. It used to CREEP ME OUT!!

It happened other times, with him in a corner of a room barking at nothing or whining while staring at nothingness..

I swear he made me feel like my house was haunted.
Any similar experiences??..
:lurking:

wonder if thats why my Max barks at nothing all day

1 - 12 of 12 Posts