German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone read this book? I heard him on a radio talk show last week and he said a couple interesting things.

1. Studies show that you can over train a dog. If you train too much the results will not be as good as if you train less often and in shorter sessions.

2. Dogs (not wolves) that are feral will follow the dog with the most friends not the aggressive dog.

Brian Hare is a researcher from Duke University, some sort of sociologist dealing with animals, can't remember his title.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Interesting

Sonds interesting. I will have to do some research.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am reading it now. I started it last night but I don't have an opinion yet as I am only on Chapter 3. I will let you know what I think when I finish it!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cshepherd9, you might be interested in the interview I heard. It was on Radio Times (NPR WHYY) last week, but it was a rebroadcast. I know there are podcasts of Radio Times if you are interested. It was pretty interesting.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I can't wait to hear what you think of the book.

FYI - on the talk show he kept mentioning a website dognition.com. It was a site to collect data for his research. He kept saying he wanted info from as many dog owners as possible and that the site included "tests" to give your dog. When I went to the site there was a fee to participate (and it wasn't a nominal fee). I understand he needs to fund his research, but I really question the validity of data collected that way. I guess writing a book about dogs is the on way an evolutionary anthropologist can make money - LOL.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
" Dogs (not wolves) that are feral will follow the dog with the most friends not the aggressive dog."

There are several other studies out that basically say the same thing. This is because the pack is a co-operative , symbiotic unit . An aggressive dog is a loose wheel hindering the success of the group.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I read the book. I just loaned it out to a friend!
What he writes is based on studies and tests, not opinions.
Interesting reading about the Bonobo's.

https://www.dognition.com/

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Onyx'girl, in the radio interview he was referencing a lot of studies - some done by him but many studies done by others. They touched on the who,e bonobo thing but really didn't have time to get into it in detail. Would you recommend the book?

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
absolutely!
It was a great read. You could probably get it at the local library.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ha! I got mine at the library. I wanted to read it but didn't want to pay for it :blush:

·
Registered
938 Posts
I am very interested in reading the book, but IMHO Dognition.com is a borderline scam. There is simply no way such a research design would pass peer-review. He is essentially selling you a very expensive personality test for your dog that is neither objective nor scientific.

Now, I think it would be interesting if he was using the test in a controlled environment, but he is not. Maybe this is an exploratory study. Or maybe he just wants to make some cash off of dog owners.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kaimeju, that was my feeling exactly. When I was listening to the radio broadcast I was thinking "how are you going to get anything you can use in your research if you have 50,000 different people administering the test." Furthermore they are not objective administrators of the test. A test to see how smart Fido is? Let see, turns out everyone has an above average dog. Suddenly we are living in Lake Wobegon. Then I went to the site and thought this is just a way for him to make money. But as I said earlier, I guess when you are an evolutionary anthropologist the money making opportunities are very limited and taking advantage of people's love for their dogs is your best bet.

That said, the book sounded interesting and he does reference some interesting studies done by others.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts