German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My 13 month old male GSD is a bit of a klepto. He will take rolled up socks, empty toilet paper rolls, shoes and more. He never chews on them, he just takes them to his mat and then looks at us. So far we have been saying "No" calmly and taking the item back. When he takes shoes it's pretty clear that he is asking the person whose shoe he took to take him out. Does your dog steal things, and do you correct them? If you do, how do you do it?

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
Yes, mine plays by taking things and running with them. I don’t react, and he eventually loses interest. He learned it originally because my other dog chased him to get her toys back. When he drops an object, I pick it up when he’s not paying attention to it anymore.

·
Super Moderator
5,479 Posts
mine used to grab our shoes and pant legs to tell us that he wanted or needed to go outside but that was years ago. My dogs still tell me things but doesn't use our stuff to do it. I do have a few low value toys that they can hold onto if they want attention, like when we first come home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great thank you, He does the puppy prance when he takes something and it does seem like behavior that he would grow out of. I don't really mind I just wondered if people considered it misbehaving.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
If he isn't chewing the items up and just taking them to his mat I wouldn't "correct" it per se. I would say that's mine as I take it away and replace it with one of his toys or chews and say this is yours. A calm redirect to teach him not to take your things and cuddle with his own. If he isn't chewing you could also give him an old t-shirt or slipper to have as his.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Karma will pick up a sock off the floor (my 2 yr old HATES wearing socks) and will try to take off with it. I call her over and tell her to drop it. and then i take it, and she moves on

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Eska was such a great puppy when it came to things like this. If I saw her with something in her mouth that I didn't want her to have, I just had to call her to me, and she'd let me have it! I'd then reward her by giving her a toy to chew on.

She did chew up a few things as a puppy, the most frequent victim being the TP roll from the bathroom, but on the whole, she was a very good pup.

Okay, there was the coffee table she destroyed. The woodwork and the oak stairs she decorated with her teeth. Yeah, we get selective amnesia about this stuff after awhile... :rolleyes:

Star, OTOH... Going on 13, and STILL occasionally destroys a sock. She would EAT them. I once put half a sock in the wastebasket. BIG mistake. She dug it out and ate most of the rest of it!

If I catch them in the act, which is rare, I'd take the item, and replace it with an appropriate toy. And I'd make SURE there was a dog-proof lid on the laundry bin!!

Will never forget talking with the male tenant that lived in my basement, and my dog came prancing past with a pair of my undies in her mouth... :oops:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Rio is 17 months old and he has always greeted me, or follows me around with a toy or a sock in his mouth. I find it endearing, and since he never chews anything I let him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts