German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, wondering how worried should I be. Our pup is 5 1/2 months old. I know ears can go up and down during the teething phase, and I'm pretty sure he's still teething (chews on everything!). Thing is, when we purchased him last month, his litter mates ears were already standing strong. His ears go up when he's interested in something, and one day one will be up most of the say, but then flop over towards his forehead. Today both are completely floppy again, although go up as I said when he's chasing frisbee. So, should I be worried? Should I start taping? I guess what worries me most is that sister and brother already had their ears up early. Breeder said they'd never had a puppy who's ears didn't go up, and past customers have submitted photos to her Facebook page and pups all have lovely alert ears. Mom and Dad dogs had erect ears too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Lol, I love that stage in a puppy. Ours is just over a year old and it took a bit for his to stand straight up. Now they are lookin perfect. Personally I would wait for another month and see what happens. If by then they are not standing then maybe. Was he the runt of the litter or anything like that ?? Keep in mind also I am a first time GSD owner so I could be wrong about this. Others will chime in soon I am sure. :)

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Make sure his diet is proper and give him stuff to chew. They will come up, he's still got time.

One of Shadows was still tippy at a year or so.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Yep, teething!

My pup is just finishing up (he's almost 6 months old).

Here are a couple of things you can do to strengthen his ears.
1. Ear Exercise: Whistle or make a sound that will “perk up” the dogs’ ears. Do this about 30 times per day.
2. Give them large raw (not cooked) real bones: There are 150 muscles in the jaw that when exercised strengthen the ears due to the gnawing, tugging and chewing the bone. Introduce at short intervals as the rich marrow material or bone fragments could cause diarrhea.
3. Feed one or two raw skinless chicken necks daily. It has naturally occurring calcium. DO NOT use a “Calcium” supplement.
4. Gently pinch the base of the ears together and massage the base without bending the upper ear.
5. Unflavored Gelatin powder: Moisten the kibble with water and sprinkle 2 to 3 teaspoons on his/her food 2 x daily.
A one ounce box contains 4 envelopes of Gelatin (each packet contains about 2 ½ tsp.). This is found by the “Jello” in the grocery store. It is made from animal collagen. The brand name is Knox Unflavored Gelatin or Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin. Feed this every day for at least 4-6 weeks. Great Lakes can be bought in larger, cost efficient packages here: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-...s=great+lakes+unflavored+beef+gelatin,+kosher
6. Make sure that his/her ears are not touching the top of the crate (crate pushes ears down) when sitting or standing.

Happy "Ear Dance" days!
Moms :)

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Okay, wondering how worried should I be. Our pup is 5 1/2 months old. I know ears can go up and down during the teething phase, and I'm pretty sure he's still teething (chews on everything!). Thing is, when we purchased him last month, his litter mates ears were already standing strong. His ears go up when he's interested in something, and one day one will be up most of the say, but then flop over towards his forehead. Today both are completely floppy again, although go up as I said when he's chasing frisbee. So, should I be worried? Should I start taping? I guess what worries me most is that sister and brother already had their ears up early. Breeder said they'd never had a puppy who's ears didn't go up, and past customers have submitted photos to her Facebook page and pups all have lovely alert ears. Mom and Dad dogs had erect ears too.
IMO, If they were up odd's are they will eventually stay up. 6 months they will be done teething.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts