German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my wife were recently walking our 7 almost 8 month old puppy. (He’s one of the bigger ones of the litter). As we were walking our puppy Noble. We were walking our other dog who is a terrier. (A small but loud one) our neighbor dog got out and walked towards our terrier and started to growl and bark. Our course our terrier barked back but he backed off. Then his younger brother Noble pops out between my legs no barkings or anything lunges at our neighbors dog to back him off then our neighbor got him. Afterwards I see puppy Noble’s prancing and walked with his held high. What do you guys think? Opinion on his behavior or any similar situations ?

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
Hard to say without seeing Noble's posture when he popped his head out.Might have been a quick play bow.Whatever he was thinking sounds like he was proud of himself:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He might of wanted to play he's always happy. I just notice him from time to time always growling and barking at strangers and stuff just thought it was cute he came to my little boys rescue

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
When we pass a small furiously barking dog or two, my dog knows that he is to ignore the dogs and walk by my side. But every once in a while, it gets to him and he will give a short silent mock sideways lunge. The small dog usually reacts with an even louder bark and backs away, revealing his fear. Then my dog appears satisfied with himself and walks on. He knows that I disapprove of this behavior, but I do have a little sympathy for him. It's hard being barked at like that all the way down the street and having to "take it".

I've seen him do the same thing with dogs blustering at him from behind fences. He will "take it" usually, but every once in a while he will rush the fence as if to say, "Oh yea? Let's see what you got!!" The barking dogs usually back away or run, revealing that it was all a 'show'.

Anyway there is weirdly complex fascinating social communication between dogs!
I do believe your pup could have been proud of himself after 'defending' your smaller dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love your story, I find my puppy doing the same thing, but he’s still young so he wants to prove himself. He couldn’t jump a fence so he tried to jump along it and off it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts