German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
We'd never intended on ever having a cat as my husband is badly allergic but now we have a 6ish week old kitten. It started out one night as a mini meow at the back door and little white feet disappearing in to the out house, next morning we found it but it drove Shadow bonkers. He can't abide little winging/crying noises from anything. So we put it back in the out house with food & water.
Hubby checked on it a day later and it had no fur on the top of its head and it was really swollen in the same place. We presume the hawks had tried to take it away.
So we figured since it was going to stop with us til it's big enough to defend itself if it wants to live outside during the day it's only fair it's introduced to the boys. Taz is a cowardly custard and hides from the little thing but Shadow wants to eat it! He's never met a cat before this one and I don't know if he thinks it's a toy or what. He stares at it the whole time it's in the same room and after a couple of licks (tastes I think) he tries for a nibble.

Is it likely to take a swipe from the kitten when it's a bit bigger to get him to stop nibbling or is there something we can do to teach him it's not his and it's not food? Besides hiding it from him.

Registered
All of my cats and kittens have been subjected to dogs mouthing them. So depending on your dogs intentions and bite inhabition only you know where to draw the line.
The last kitty I brought home I had to protect from Kiya for almost 6 months, she clearly intended to do harm. What worked with her was favorite treats in a down/stay while kitty walked on the floor eventually closer andcloser to her.
Since the kitty is so small you could use the dog crate to keep kitty safe.

Registered
i had a shepherd years ago that just loved to bathe a kitten with his tongue. were the best of friends. the cat also loved to bathe the "bentley's face". as to where to draw the line? you know your dog better than we do.

Registered
I am dealing with a similar issue except my cats are not afraid of dogs. They sleep with my other two dogs when they were with the X. I dont have anyone to help me so I have developed my own method based on Lou's method in this Game Chasing (Crittering)

Obviously I use an ecollar, what I did was put the kitties in a kennel where they were safe, let Diesel roam the room, I went outside and watched through the window, I put the Ecollar on a level 8 when he would poise and look intently at the kitty I would give him stim. Did that for several hours / days. Then I reversed it and put Diesel in his kennel and let the kitties roam about, when he would poise same thing. Now I have shocked myself at a 10 so I know what level stim he is getting, it is enough that he feels it but he does not flinch. I know it is working because when I give him the stim he looks away. After several days of that, while in the room I put Diesel in a down and let the kitties roam. I stayed right there so I could intervene if necessary but here is where we are at. I still do not trust Diesel 100% on his own free will but he will ignore the kitties for now. He did jump up to chase twice but the stim was enough to stop the chase and he never got ahold of them.

This photo was taken Monday night, excuse the leaves Diesel drug them in from outside and I didnt vacuum for the day yet and HAD to catch this moment. Bahkarti the cat mosied over and flopped down right by him

Registered
I had a collie/GSD mix that was feral when I got her. She instantly liked me for whatever reason, calmed down and didn't act feral almost from the get-go. That is until a cat or another female dog showed interest in me. A friend dubbed her "treacherous", and that was the best description I heard for her. Katy was wildly intelligent, spooky how quickly she figured stuff out and devious and sneaky. A real handful, but she had to jog off the excess charm she had for humans. A flirt, a ham, she was so full of herself.

I watched her stalk my ex's cat one day, the cat didn't have a clue. Pure predator, death was the goal. I waited and gave her a strong correction when I could not decide if the strike was still being withheld. The ex's Bichon also was a target, tho it learned very quickly to sidle up to a person in a hurry when Katy was slinking about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts