German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's never good when you're walking home from the subway and you look down your street to see a patrol car w/the lights flashing parked outside your house (not by the front door, but still).

i hurried along and then i saw a patrol car, not flashing, blocking one of the driveways on another street of the low-rise apartment building across the street south of me. then i saw the 3 patrol cars parked on the east side of the building.

phew!

i took the dogs out to go potty, their potty area is right where the patrol car was. luc hackled at it and mumbled, but minded me when i told him to stop that. i went over to the patrol car to ask if i needed to be concerned about anything, and apparently they were just looking for a guy (in that building, obvs). then luc came over and both dogs got petted
i was also very pleased that luc was happy to go up to something that he'd reacted to, even if it was a mild reaction.

both dogs were also so polite and good with a cyclist going by, who lives close and had seen patrol cars on the south side of the building and wanted to know what was going on. i'm injured right now and can't run, so he offered to take luc sometimes - we'll see, but that was nice. i find people in this neighbourhood really friendly.

all the cop cars have left now though, with no obvious drama. i'm kind of glad i have 2 big dogs in the house when i'm not here (even if teagan is tethered in the living room and luc hardly a tough guy).

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Aw you are doing so well with Luc (being he had a terrible start to life) and Teagan is a good pup too. My husband is a Toronto Police Officer which is very lucky for us because we got Jesse socialized to police, when he was younger he got the run of the police station and police cars and uniforms.

Yeah I know about that kind of drama we had the same drama last weekend on our street turned out to be a domestic incident and later that day cops were back with CAS and took the kids away (must have been a very serious domestic).

Very nice guy to offer to take Luc out too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a good friend that is a patrol deputy. He is one of Cain's favorite people since he is also the helper at our Schutzhund club. He stopped to visit one day after tracking training and was on duty. My goofy dog jumped in his open driver's side window and landed on his lap. It made for an interesting walk another day when the sheriff's department was in the neighborhood. Cain kept looking at the cars and getting all excited thinking it was his friend stopping to visit with him. LOL...no goofy dog they are working!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! well, if your husband was hanging out an apartment in wilson heights, he might've met luc

both dogs have seen lots of bike cops from when we lived downtown, and teagan has been around flashing patrol cars before, actually, now that i think of it - once when we were crossing bloor street, i used to live near christie pitts. teagan did keep an eye on the car today, but she wasn't bothered by it the way luc initially was.

the only non-bike cop luc has met before was the second week i had him, i was taking him for a walk downtown and we met a mounted officer. he was really nice and stopped so luc could see the horse - i said he'd never seen a horse before - luc was round eyed! you could almost hear him going 'do you see the SIZE of that thing?! let's get out of here!'

it was very nice of the guy (arnie) to offer to run w/luc - i'm a little like 'what if luc doesn't come back!!' but i think he just misses having a dog. my biggest concern would be that luc would be like 'guy, who are you....i'm not going anywhere!' i told him luc has to be run facing oncoming traffic or sometimes he gets a bit twitchy. my bf might start taking him for runs once in a while now that he's done his marathon, before b/c he would've had luc down at the waterfront we didn't do it incase luc balked and refused to run, he can't have his training screwed up, but triathlon season is starting so we'll see. hopefully i just have another 2 weeks or so - the start of june i'm hoping i can start running again - heck, that i can start walking again! it's funny, while luc is used to doing all the running, and teagan more walking due to her hips, you can really see the differences in their drives and how me being injured has affected them. it's been hardest on her.l i've had to get creative w/teagan

nora, that's funny - i took the dogs away b/c i was like 'those officers are working, they can't be petting you all day!'

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Well my husband wasn't there, he is in homicide right now for a 1 year stint then back to 23 Division.

I am thinking of taking Jesse downtown to Woofstock and getting him to ride the subway (which could be bad or good for him - I have a feeling he would be scared but I would take toys and treats to redirect him) on June 7th or 8th.

I hope you get back up to 100 percent soon.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
luc doesn't do well on the subway, teagan's pretty good, and he's calmer if she's there. jesse seems like he would probably redirect well though - ??

i'm going to be in montreal watching a french ring trial that weekend, which i'm very excited about, though sad it's the same weekend as woofstock. i've never been before (never had dogs during it) and i was hoping to go. i know the good toronto GSD rescue will be there and so will a husky rescue i'm working w/. i think a lot of rescues go.

thanks....i will get better, it's just annoying for now. i'm spending a lot of time on the bike. my bf challenged me to boston qualify next year (he's planning to and wants to run it together) so i'm trying to use this time to lose some weight (the thinner you are, the faster, generally. all the triathletes have a joke....when people start asking you if you're okay, you're 10lbs away from race weight) but i keep on getting frustrated that i can't run and eating junk. oh well. it's the dogs i feel worst about though we've upped other activities.

·
Registered
31,864 Posts
About a year ago someone dropped their car in my neighbor's ditch and took off.

A highway patrolman came to my door. I guess he went around my neighbor's house and checked all the windows and doors. He went toward my back yard where the crew normally is. But I guess he decided to bang on my door.

He asked me if I saw anything, and people going through my back yard. I told him the dogs weren't barking so there was no one in my back yard.

The dogs were putting up a mighty chorus for him.

Anyway, he was turning to go, and I said ENOUGH! And the house was so silent you could hear a pin drop.

Once in a blue moon my animals make me really proud. The rest of the time it is like tonight when Tori embarrassed me in class by not being able to do ANYTHING right!!!

But being way out where I am, I really like having my dogs there too. I feel safer with them in the house.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
If Jesse has both hubby and me with him plus something to redirect him it usually works (like firework night) but I have a feeling with the moving subway and the screeching may be bad but willing to try it, could end us stuck in downtown Toronto if it was a horrible experience.

Sorry your won't be able to make it to Woofstock but sounds like you will have fun in Montreal

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
selzer, that's so cool
it's always nice to be able to say 'my dogs are so good!'

sherush - the only bad thing about montreal is my mother is using her car that weekend (how selfish!
) and so we're taking the bf's car. he's going to go by transit to the F1 race (weirdo) and i'm supposed to take his car, which is standard, to the field. YIKES! i got my first lesson on saturday, and drove on the roads for the first time sunday. i'm doing alright, but am totally freaked out about driving his car by myself in a strange city. plus he used to race, so he's souped up his car even though he never raced it.

would you be coming from downsview if you're coming in from brampton? i live on that line at wilson station, and find luc likes it better than when we lived at ossington station, b/c of the above-ground portion - he handles that better. having jesse above ground might let him kind of ease in to being on the subway.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
lol I can understand why you would be freaked out driving alone in a car you are not use to or strange new city....

We will probably drive to Wilson Subway or Yorkdale so we can do a straight run to Union instead of Kipling and transferring subways.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've never ever driven a standard car until last saturday! i've only done it twice now.... i've always driven automatic cars....so yeah, i'm a bit nervous! especially about not having him there to remind me of stuff. it's a few weeks off, but i'm really really hoping there is a way to get to the field by transit!

if you get on at wilson or yorkdale you'll also be above ground for a few stops first. i find it makes a real difference for luc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts