German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so Mia
and a stray cat that we are keeping are BEST friends(most of the time) and Mia loves to play with it. One morning I heard a noise in the other room where Mia was. I went in and she had let the cat inside. I put the cat out and went to drink my coffee and about one hour later I checked on Mia and she AND the cat were inside the crate laying down with the front door wide open. This time when I put the cat out Mia started to whine so I took her outside also. After a bit I went inside with her and read a book. Suddenly I heard a loud noise in with Mia and then the cat meowing. Mia had once more let him inside and they were jumping and playing and using one of Mias dog toys. I have since learned to make sure the door is closed tight.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
That is so cool! I've had dogs and cats that just melded like that before, but it's always a surprise!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Reminds me a feral Tom that loved to play with our three inside dogs. When they would go out he would come up to them and start playing and next thing you know they would have him on the ground with gentle grips on his legs or tail pulling him around the back yard then they would come in and he would try to get in with them. Being a feral and living what at the time was an open overgrown field he just stopped showing up. Figure the coyotes got him.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah sometimes Mia gets to playful and makes the cat nervous. She just doesn’t know quite when to calm down.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
LOL, this makes me laugh because I just recently spent about 2 months acclimating my dog to a cat. She'd previously only seen them from a distance, and was about 2 and a half when we introduced them.

So, to recap, first encounter, dog off leash in the house, cat held its ground and the dog yielded. Next encounter, also off leash but outside this time, cat ran dog chased (blowing off all attempts of recall I might add LOL!). **** dog!

Anyway, after two months of close proximity indoors, they're good. Cat likes the dog, dog feels the same. Licks and cat chin rubs all around...all good right? NOT!

My dog is very playful at times. If you're her "friend" that MEANS occasional play!

So every once in a while, she wants to play with with the cat! Understandable, but somehow still makes me nervous LOL!

I was busy doing something in the kitchen the other night, and happened to look at the floor, and saw - in silhouette - the cat swatting the heck out of the dog, while the dog just stood there looking on.

Other times, the cat will be up on the table, and the dog starts growling and play bowing, and even barking. Cat seems non plussed!

It is funny! And I have to admit, they both read each other than I can, or can ever hope to. And I think I'm pretty darn good at that! LOL!

So far, we've dodged anything bad between them, other than those first few chases...hopefully I can be vigilant enough to keep that going!

Like I said, so far so good!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They had a falling out, lol. Now for some reason Mia doesn’t like the cat but the cat still likes her, I’m not sure what happened (maybe the neighbors dog rubbed off on Mia).🤪

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Ours are inseparable in the evening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts