German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dog did it: Woman gets $300K deal

OGDEN, Utah - A police dog put a pickup truck into gear, injuring a woman on her way to the mailbox in an incident that has ended with a $300,000 settlement.

"She suffered some serious injuries in an accident that was not foreseeable," Ogden city attorney Gary Williams said Monday. "We think it was a fair resolution."

Mary Frances Stone, 43, was walking to her mailbox in July 2006 when she was hit by a 1990 Ford pickup truck assigned to Officer Taylor Finder.

Ranger, a German shepherd, was in the bed of the idling truck but jumped into the front seat through a sliding door and somehow knocked the automatic transmission into gear, police said.

Stone, who had a broken pelvis, had asked for $580,000 but settled with the city's insurer for $300,000.

"I would like to get more. ... If my car had hit a cop, I would be in jail," she said Monday.

Police Chief Jon Greiner was sympathetic.

"It's too bad she suffered injuries as a result of this," he said.

Finder and other officers were responding to a call in Stone's neighborhood when the truck hit her. He wasn't disciplined. He declined to comment on the settlement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080402/ap_on_fe_st/odd_police_dog_pelvis;_ylt=Am

·
Registered
31,870 Posts
Re: The dog did it: Woman gets $300K deal

I do not see this as necessarily unforeseeable. We had a two year old kick a car into gear at a gas station and kill an old lady and her grand daughter. The mother of the child was up at the window paying for gas. She was charged with some type of manslaughter. I see it as mostly a tragedy.

I have left my critters in my car with the car running and the air on, but I stopped because my dogs can move the gear shifter. So now if my animals are in the car with the car running, they are in crates. In fact, they are simply in crates.

I do not much like the idea of an animal loose in the bed of a pick up even if there is a cap on it.

However, the accident was tragic and so long as the woman's injuries, pain and suffering, and loss of work was compensated for, I think she should be satisfied. She is lucky to be alive. The police department will probably put down several edicts on how animals are transported, etc.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts

I always take my keys because Lucy locks the doors! I'd feel like an idiot calling OnStar for that. But even if I left her in the truck with it running she could not move it into drive without stepping on the brake. That was a great safety feature that would have prevented both of the above incidents.
I do not at all think this was unforeseeable. You leave the keys in the ignition and the engine running all bets are off. And I agree it would have been much worse for her if her dog was in the car that ran over an officer!

·
Registered
31,870 Posts

I expect the truck was a standard transmission. If you kick some of them into gear they can start rolling. I do not know what year they changed them to have the feature where you have to step on the break to put it into gear. Automatics have had that feature for a long time. Still, my Neon (automatic) could be pushed into drive without stepping on the brake -- probably broken.

·
Registered
519 Posts

Originally Posted By: selzerI expect the truck was a standard transmission. If you kick some of them into gear they can start rolling. I do not know what year they changed them to have the feature where you have to step on the break to put it into gear. Automatics have had that feature for a long time. Still, my Neon (automatic) could be pushed into drive without stepping on the brake -- probably broken.
Hmmm.

Unless you're talking about another incident, it says here "...somehow knocked the automatic transmission into gear, police said..." I'd find it hard to believe a dog could grind a standard into gear unless he got a paw on the clutch
but if the engine was off and the handbrake was off and the gears were engaged as a brake (which I often do) and the dog bumped it out of gear that might start a roll.

·
Registered
598 Posts

I always set the emergency brake when I leave my vehicle running in my driveway (don't leave it running anywhere else). Just in case some kid (like one of mine!) decides to investigate behind my back...never even thought about the dog, tho. I don't make a habit of leaving my vehicle running, except to warm it up. But why wouldn't a cop set the emergency brake for pete's sake? They should have paid more. She's right - if her car hit a cop, they'd have locked her up and called her negligent, not said "this was unforseeable"...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts