German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading an interesting article on The Collared Scholar, and I came across this article about socializing puppies. It is titled, "More Harm than Good: 3 Reasons Why I Never Socialize My Puppies". It talks about guarded socialization, where you take your puppy places, but focus on engagement with you, and let the puppy work at his/her own pace. Here is the link: collared-scholar.com/more-harm-than-good-3-reasons-why-i-never-socialize-my-puppies/ What are your opinions on this way of socializing?

·
Registered
381 Posts
For me it depends greatly on the dog. Some dogs really do need intensive well thought out socialization early if they show signs of stranger-danger behaviors (avoidance, barking, hackles). What you do during that critical window you have with a new pup could make a difference between a safe in public, aloof dog, and a nervy, barking mess.

Ideally, you get to start with a good pup with stellar nerves, but that isn't always true, despite the most well thought out breeding and best of intentions. That is where really well done socialization and exposure can and does matter the most.

There is a lot of merit in molding behaviors you want at a young age.

I find this article much more useful, because it goes into details of what to do and how to do it - Socializing the Schutzhund Puppy | SCHUTZHUND LIFE

From the article:
"While we go about socialization, we must also remember that every puppy is different in its temperament, drive, personality, strengths, and weaknesses, with genetics playing a huge role in determining all of these. Thus, how we accomplish this goal above will vary based on each dog; there is no "one size fits all" approach. Each handler must do what's best for their particular dog, taking into account their puppy's particular temperament, strengths, and weaknesses."

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like this topic because I have been wondering what to do with a situation I will soon find myself in.

My step daughter (doesn't live with us) has a 3 year old beagle. The dog is totally dog reactive. He isn't aggressive, but as soon as he sees another dog, you can forget about him listening to anything you have to say. He's fixated. He does react badly to german shephers and huskies, in that he'll start barking and his hackles go up.

Now, my step daughter visits us often (a couple times a week) with her pup and we even watch him when she's away on hols or for work. So basically, we have him 50% of the time (haha).

I intend to get my own dog in the spring, and I'm not sure how having the beagle over will impact on my dog's socialization. I'd really love some suggestions on how to address this potential issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts