German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with Texas on socialization for quite a while. She has finally shown a break through by allowing kids to give her treats and allow strangers to pet her when they ask. Though, when it comes to other dogs, that is a different story. We currently are enrolled in an advanced obedience class, but I enrolled her last week in a puppy class again to start with the basics (with this teenager, its needed)

Texas gets VERY excited when she sees another dog. All she wants to do is play and run with the dog. I will try to position her to sit to try to calm her nerves, but she always seems to get up soon after and start spinning, panting, whining and then pulling. When she does come into contact with another dog, she automatically starts swiping with her paws at the dog on the face and body (but in a consistent motion, as if she is using the other dog as a punching bag), then she begins by biting their face or neck. A lot of people have said that I have a bully on my hands. I understand that she is rough and I want to try to control and ease it a bit. I know she wants to play, but she is just WAY TOO ROUGH. I even got her a play date with another shepherd puppy that weighs a few pounds more, and Texas just started chewing on her roughly (her neck, legs, and thighs :cry:).

How do I guide her to not play so rough with the other dogs? How can I ease her to proper introductions with out her pulling me everywhere to get to the other dog? I do plan on taking her to take the CGC test, and I just know she will fail the introduction of another dog part. What are your suggestions?

Thank you for everything. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think play dates with known, calmer dogs is a good start. I'd keep her on a leash maybe, or a long lead, and if she starts being too rough bring her away in a sit, make her sit until she is calm and then release to play again. Do you think she would calm at all if you did that, or get more excited?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what I am currently doing (or at least trying to). My trainer will walk with me and ask me to approach individuals with dogs. I put her in a Sit and stay, but she only lasts about 5 seconds and then starts spinning and whining. If she does this, my trainer advises me to move 5 feet back and do it again. Only when she is calm can we move closer. Yesterday, it took us 30 minutes to work up our way to another dog. Even then, when released to play, she started biting the dog roughly and swatting at her.:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts