German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best advice you have received in regards to a new puppy? It can be very specialized advice, or just a general piece of common knowledge....

Years and years ago I bought my first German Shepherd. I read many books before I brought him home, but my favorite (I can't remember title) was written by the head animal trainer of Disney. It was very well written and I liked his straight forward style. The 2 things I took from that book (and have used on every dog I have owned since), are pretty common knowledge but are worth their weight in gold.

#1. Socialize, socialize, socialize. As soon as you get your puppy home and get his shots up to date, introduce him to as many other pets, people, places, and noises as you can. Get him around as many big and small dogs and cats as you can. Also introduce him to tons of people. If you don't have young kids (6-10) then go find some. Let them play with him and run around screaming and play like little kids do. Expose them to lots of kids and running and yelling. Take him outside while someone is mowing, weedeating, riding a motorcycle, etc etc. Just expose him to anything and everything possible.

#2. This one is actually my favorite. Mess with the dog constantly while it is eating. Pet him, touch his back, brush him, talk to him, etc, while he is eating. Reach down and push his head away from the bowl and take his bowl while he is eating. I am not talking shove him, just push his head out of the way so you can take his food. Have him sit, and then give his food bowl back. Especially have the children take his food up and pet him while he is eating. Just do not make him food possessive or teach him that while he is eating he is off limits. Never ever let him for one second thinks that while he is eating he is off limits. That is a ticket to disaster. I have done this and I have NEVER had an incident of any form or fashion while a dog was eating. I continue this practice even into adulthood.

So those are my two......let's hear yours

·
Super Moderator
6,285 Posts
Being introduced to crate training many years ago.It eliminates so much stress over potty training and chewing disasters!

Your number two makes me a little uncomfortable.I do hand feed my puppies from their bowls for the first week and phase it out the second week.There are some dogs that people create issues with resource guarding where none existed before.Depends on the individual dog.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Never coddle a puppy/dog when something scares him.

ie: semi blows horn or scary person, or etc: dog runs to owner, owner pets and soothes/coddles pup/dog and says things like Ohhhhhh my pooooor poooor little baby! Did that scare you???? Ooooooo it's gonna beeeee okkkkkkkkk!

Moms :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being introduced to crate training many years ago.It eliminates so much stress over potty training and chewing disasters!

Your number two makes me a little uncomfortable.I do hand feed my puppies from their bowls for the first week and phase it out the second week.There are some dogs that people create issues with resource guarding where none existed before.Depends on the individual dog.
#2 has worked on 3 German Shepherds, a boxer, and a cocker spaniel with ZERO problems. I remember the author of the book said he cringed every time he heard someone say, "Don't mess with fluffy while she's eating". He said it creates a volatile situation because when your friend shows up with her 5 year old, and while you are talking the 5 year old goes running toward the dog to play with it, guess what your German Shepherd happens to be doing at that very moment? Yep, you guessed it....eating. He also stated that it was teaching your dog that YOU are the alpha of the pack. It has worked for me, but if it doesn't sound good to certain people so be it. Let's hear more advice......

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Don't try to be alpha... that is old school... today we work on a relationship, a working relationship. Yes you are the leader but it is not about domination it is about work and teamwork. In that vein,

Learn to use tug and tug play as a way to build relationship. (If you can't find a trainer that does this watch Michael Eliis or Ivan Balabanov youtube videos).

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
I've always done that with all my puppies and it's worked out fine. :)

Number two ... well I'll say that is where "some" members learn the difference between "Exposure" vs "Socialization" with WL GSD's.
Pack members usually no problem "everybody else" ... I don't know you kinda thing.

Usually in the 12 month to 18 month range ... "My dog changed??" Happens all the time a WL GSD ... is not a "Boxer" make "adjustments" in the people thing and it works out fine. Look don't touch. with strangers:)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Hmmmmm....best puppy advice??? Not sure....but long sleeves sure are better than short sleeves.

SuperG
And don't wear shorts. Wear pants. Preferably with loose legs, and made of very sturdy fabric.

I think what we found most useful was the advice to socialize, and also the advice not to make a big deal out of stuff. It was sometimes really hard to do the latter, but I can point out some specific instances during her puppyhood when that advice paid off. She's naturally resilient, and I'm glad we didn't stifle that.

·
Super Moderator
6,285 Posts
And don't wear shorts. Wear pants. Preferably with loose legs, and made of very sturdy fabric.

I think what we found most useful was the advice to socialize, and also the advice not to make a big deal out of stuff. It was sometimes really hard to do the latter, but I can point out some specific instances during her puppyhood when that advice paid off. She's naturally resilient, and I'm glad we didn't stifle that.
Excellent!Both the pants and not making a big deal over stuff.Both are extremely important.I'm smiling right now remembering trying to walk with a puppy attached to my ankle:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
1) Relax, when your pup tears up a roll of toilet paper try to enjoy picking it up :laugh2:

2) Enjoy the good, and try to find the good in the bad!

3) Correct bad behaviors ASAP

4) Feed quality food and treats

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
So much good advice!

Enjoy every second of their puppyhood. All the blood, sweat and tears pays off! It goes by so quick
And this!

She's two now, and she's wonderful. And now we find ourselves reminiscing about her puppyhood, and while I love and enjoy the dog even more than the puppy, I sometimes feel a tiny bit sad that an entire stage of her life is completely over.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great idea for a thread....

So here's a few things I've held onto and tell my gundog clients.

No behavior that is NOT cute at 80 lbs should ever be cute at 10 lbs.

If your puppy doesn't have your 100% attention inside the home it's place is in the crate. You can not correct what is already done.

Never ever train frustrated.

Training starts day one, short sessions, don't miss opportunities to mold new little minds.

Never put down a squirming pup. This is a great opportunity to teach a pup how to deal with pressure on the slightest of levels and pays dividends later on. Hold pup against you until they stop squirming, reassure then place them down.

Never use a command you cannot enforce. ("HERE" without long line or lead.)

Don't be afraid to back up in training to move forward

Here's just a few....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts