German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel I have to add this part of zoeys life so that you all aren't confused when I say or am worried about certain things. So here goes... we live in a small town in a big old house (that we love!) But about a year ago due to circumstances we had to move into an apartment in another town. Yes I could have zoey but I mistakenly thought it would be bad for her.let me try to explain why. When I got her from that guy I went to the shelter he got her from to try and find out about her.they told me she was an owner surrender due to uncontrollability and high vet bills. I asked for what they gave me her old vets numberand address. Iwent there this is what they told me. Zoey came from a decent breeder who also used this vet so he had known zoey her whole life. The breeder sold the pup to the owner.the only time they brought her in is when she was 5-6months under an emergency. They took her for a truck ride and she fell out while they were driving (idiots) they let her get patched up but refused the xrays and other treatment. Now I understood a lot. Zoey has problems with soreness in her hips and front right shoulder. Sorry guys have to finish later have to pick up kids

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That's terrible. Some people just shouldn't own animals if they can't care for them properly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok im back. I seem to be long winded ill try and shorten this up a bit. Where we would be moving there would be 3 flights of stairs, a small apartment and no yard. I decided I needed to put zoeys wellbeing and happiness first.(or so I thought) so I went in search of the perfect home for her. ( I did not advertise) a person I knew told me of a young couple who had been looking for a dog and the guy had always wanted a gsd. I agreed to meet with them. Ok to shorten this. I did two home visits (without zoey) and had them come to my home 3 times to interact with zoey and learn her commands. I gave them my info and stressed to them that they could call for anything advice, help with food, shots when due or to return zoey to me. I told them I was only trying to do what was in her best interests and I loved her with all my heart. I took her to their house and handed her leash to them told her to stay and left sobbing. My next stop was to the aco's office to give him the address name and phone number of the couple. I asked him to please keep an eye on things. For the first two months the guy would answer my call and say zoey was doing good even sent me acouple pics she looked ok but the pics were always outside. So I asked if he was keeping her outside. He said no the pics were better outside. It had almost been two months by now so I asked if I could come see her. They refused saying she was starting to bond with them and they didnt want it messed up. I called aco asked if he could check on her he called back saying the house was empty they had moved out of town they would not answer my calls now. I was frantic but aco told me there was nothing to be done. Eight months go by. One day I get a phone call from aco. The couple moved back to town a niebor called him hysterical saying a rabid dog broke through her screen door and attacked her kid. Long version shortened. It was zoey she didnt attack the kid she stole the sandwich out of the childs hand and ran out terrified. Aco got a hold of her checked for id (zoey is tattoed) saw the tattoe and called me. Zoey weighed only 25lbs a walking skeleton. Ive had her back for 9 months now. She had pnemonia extreme hair loss was terrified of other dogs had food guarding issues no muscle strength her vision was bad. When I went to see if she remembered hand signals she cowered down. So they hit her too! The vet has told me because of the starving and extreme weight loss it took a great toll on her imune system. He said some things would improve and get back to normal and some things probably never would. She has developed some pretty bad allergies. Food I think I have gone through many foods. The only thing that works is salmon and sweet poptato. It has taken away 95percent of problems. Most little things have gotten better her eyesight her behavior except she is so completly tuned into me other people are kind of a after thought. I think she thinks she misplaced me for 8months and she is gonna make sure it doesnt happen again! She has turned into an extreme velcro dog. ( I know this is all my fualt! So much for doing what was best for her. She will Never have to leave me again. I spend my time with her remembering it is l who needs to prove my loyalty to her. Though in her eyes I seem to be the best person on earth. I am the lucky one. She gets sick easier than other dogs and her stomach is extremly sensitive along with her skin. Her joints bother her a lot at times but her energy level is back up and she needs excersize. Keeping the balance is tricky but we are figuring it out. She gets glucosamine/chondroiten with msm 1x daily and an asprin when absolutly needed. So now hopefully you all will understand when I worry and ask about silly things. Sorry I know this post is really long!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I'm happy she is back with you. I hope her health problems slow down now that she is back "home" where she wanted to be all along probably. Too bad you can't get those other people for cruelty but the good thing is that you got her back. Now you can love on her as much as you want and that is probably what she wants. No matter what health problems my dogs have had over the years I always managed to find a way to take care of them and I know you will too.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I just cant understand why some people will jump through hoops to get a dog and then not feed it , or take care of it. And why if they cant take care of it, just call someone to come pick it up. Dont get me wrong , im not saying that if people get a dog easily, that they could abuse the dog either.

Im so glad you somehow were able to get her back. Seems like a godly intervention to me. You and her were meant to be together. :)

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
My prayer for you and Zoey is that she feels better and you and she have many fun and healthfilled years where she will be safe loved and happy and you can relax a little. I know we dont ever not worry at least a little.It is very hard to sometimes to know what people will do,I look forward to hearing and seeing Zoey to bloom!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankyou all for being so kind. I feel very stupid for giving her to those people. It could have been an even worse outcome if zoey hadn't have gotten out. I guess I was worried most of you might think badly of me for this horrible mistake. So thankyou for being kind.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Why would we think you a bad person? You took the proper steps in rehoming your dog for her well being (putting what you thought best for Zoey over your needs and wants) and the other people decieved you. Im glad it was only for a short period of her life they had her and not longer! Thank you for caring so much about Zoey and rescuing her and getting her back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts