German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to start off my aunt is a leader of a girl scout group. I have done two meeting topics for the "little darlings" well they aren't "little darlings" lol they are 3rd graders -or around there-.

Anyways my topic I did yesturday night was "Pet Care"

My aunt came and picked us up -Tash and I that is- in their jeep. lol it was so funny seeing her try to fit comfortably in the back seat lol. My uncle just got a new seat cover and my aunt said "Tash uncle Todd only asks that you don't piddle on that". I knew for fact that we wouldn't have to worry about. I was worrid about her getting sick in the jeep
She didn't though!
She made it on the bumpy highway and all!

We got to the school and went in. I started unpacking all my things and getting ready. My aunt held onto the leash and kept Tash near her while I was setting things up.

It started off with one girl coming, so my aunt set about calling the other girls. I ended up giving a meeting to two kids
Oh well less kids to croud Tash's face.

One of the things I liked was, the first girl who came and was the only girl until my aunt called some people was scared of Tash when she first walked into the room. She was moving along up along the wall. My aunt and I told her she is fine as Tash was a sweetie. The girl asked if she attacked because she knew someone who got attacked. I told her she could ask Tash to shake and from there the girl LOVED her
It was so cute! The second girl who came didn't have a problem with her.

So I got done explaining things, I went over IDing, grooming, foot/water/treats/meds, toys, leashes/collars and exercise. We had time left so my aunt asked me to tell the girls how to come up to a dog. So I told them and showed them how and then they got to try it.

After that we still had time left over so the girls got a kick out of shaking hands with Tash.
They also wanted to see some of Tash's other tricks. So I had her "Paw in" -you know before a team goes out and do something they all stick there hand in the middle and say something, that's what it's like-, then I showed them Tash's "High 5" -that's still a work in progress- and we finished with a crawl. Then the girls non-stoped asked her to shake lol. I could just see it in Tash's head "Oh mom are these girls ever going to stop asking me to shake
" she's such a good girl and delt with it.

My aunt and I got to talking about the LED Blinker tag things -I have two and brought one to show the girls-. After I showed the girls she told me a story. They were driving home from my uncles parents house and they were about 4ish blocks away from me. I was out taking Tash for a walk and it was dark so I had one of her LED blinkers on. My aunt was like "Those things work awesome. All of us saw a blinking red thing and thought we were loosing it. I told everyone we just needed to go to bed as we were all tired." They were trying to figure out what it was that was blinking. They couldn't see me nor Tash so only the blinking light. Once they got a bit closer, Todd said "I think that's Brittany walking Tasha" they weren't sure about it though. Once they got closer they noticed it was us and that, that random blinking light that they thought they were "seeing" came from Tash's collar. In other words, if you walk your doggie around dark time you need to get one as they do work wonders!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
How wonderful that you were able to take a girl afraid of the 'attack dog' to the point where she was comfortable and educated about both GSDs and dogs in general!!

Extra big hugs
to all!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
They truly are so gentle and kind to children, aren't they? My Lola loves kids and wants to go out and play with them everytime my daughter has her friends in the back yard. She cries until I let her out to play with the kids.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all! I was really excited about the one girl over coming her fear!

At the end they asked what tricks she knew I left out the speaking one as I didn't want to scare the girl again who had just gotten over her fear that GSDs attack. So we kept it to shake for the girls and I showed them the paw in, high 5 and crawl. They were happy for that so we were all good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts