German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your go-to method or can you recommend your favorite product for easily getting rid of the stinky dog smell? I've looked into the dog wipes, dry shampoos, read the arguments about baby wipes, and I don't want to over bathe her by any means as she's not actually muddy or dirty. I have just used warm water on a rag to rub her down but looking to see what you all do when your pups start to have that stinky smell after a while.
I kind of like the thought of something that might have a nice scent to it, but realize some of those scented products may irritate their skin. I'm just selfish and unrealistic and wish my dog smelled like lavender and fresh linen all the time LOL!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
IME healthy dogs don't have much of a smell to them. Even if they get into something nasty - a little baking soda and hosing them off always works for me. If my dog was getting stinky and it was actually coming from the dog and not a grimy collar I'd be looking for underlying causes.

That said, I do use some essential oils for flea send tick control that is non irritating and makes them smell all yummy.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Most people disagree with me, but I say puppies STINK!

I read the extra smell has something to do with the mothers having an easier time finding her pups when she returns from hunting in the wild.

I find it goes away when the puppies get a little older, but in the meantime, it IS the puppy and there really isn't much you can do about it.

·
Banned
850 Posts

I read the extra smell has something to do with the mothers having an easier time finding her pups when she returns from hunting in the wild.

I find it goes away when the puppies get a little older, but in the meantime, it IS the puppy and there really isn't much you can do about it.
Interesting theory.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That said, I do use some essential oils for flea send tick control that is non irritating and makes them smell all yummy.

I'm an essential oil junkie! I will have to go check out what YL has for pups... thanks for mentioning that!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I don't notice my dogs having a strong smell, but it could be I just have a terrible sense of smell, or I am used to it. :)

I think I read somewhere that bathing a dog once a month or so is okay. I hate to admit it, but I hardly ever bathe my black and red GSD, though he does run in the rain quite frequently and rinse himself off. I bathe my white shepherd every 2 or 3 months or so, but usually because he gets muddy, and it won't brush off. If you haven't given your pup a bath yet, I don't think it will hurt her unless you're doing it an awful lot. I imagine show dogs are bathed quite frequently in show season.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also think a problem we will surely face living here is a mixture of the humidity and heat with quick come and go precipitation. I'm in southeast Louisiana y'all and it is 80 freaking degrees here today, yes we wore short sleeves and flip flops for Christmas yesterday... :eye roll:
When it's not only hot but the humidity in the air hits you Iike a brick the minute you step outside mixed with the 15 minute torrential downpours every other day - let's just say I KNOW if it's a recipe for bad hair days and boob sweat for myself, I can only imagine how this high energy puppy will smell after a week or two. LOL

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I also think a problem we will surely face living here is a mixture of the humidity and heat with quick come and go precipitation. I'm in southeast Louisiana y'all and it is 80 freaking degrees here today, yes we wore short sleeves and flip flops for Christmas yesterday... :eye roll:
When it's not only hot but the humidity in the air hits you Iike a brick the minute you step outside mixed with the 15 minute torrential downpours every other day - let's just say I KNOW if it's a recipe for bad hair days and boob sweat for myself, I can only imagine how this high energy puppy will smell after a week or two. LOL

You have my sympathies. I am in the NE and I am complaining because it is in the 60s today and will continue to rise over night.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I have had used for our horse's tail and know people who have used it ,but not myself, for their dogs and worked well. It is 1/3 listerine 1/3 baby oil and 1/3 water in a spray bottle. Cleanse their coat and smells nice. Dry baths always worked if needed.
For use for the house -not on the dogs-remember people on here mentioned coffee grains absorbing any odor. My sister introduced me to essential oils am really loving them. We use the diffuser and house smells like a peppermint candy cane for Christmas. I mix them with water and use a spray bottle for house. Or the roll on with a carrier oil. Rocky Mountain is a great company. I know using it and beneficial for horses but have not used it on any pets yet and still learning much about them. Loving essential oils.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts

I can agree with that.

Puppy breath is the worst thing in the world to me! Smells skunky and gives me a headache.

But I always hear people say Omg! I love puppy breath!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I can agree with that.

Puppy breath is the worst thing in the world to me! Smells skunky and gives me a headache.

But I always hear people say Omg! I love puppy breath!
I agree, puppy breath stinks really bad too! But some people do love the smell.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My friend has small dogs that she bathes or has groomed way to often. She is used to dogs smelling like some shampoo or another. Midnite went with me to work and you could smell an outdoor kind of smell that comes with them running in the snow, rolling etc. At this time I noticed his ears were missing fur, so I went home and started putting coconut oil on him, within a couple applications he smelled like a coconut. So now what do I do? I melt the coconut oil and dip a thicker paper towel in it and run it across the dogs. It is good for their skin and leaves a light coconut smell. My problem solved:smile2:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
You have my sympathies. I am in the NE and I am complaining because it is in the 60s today and will continue to rise over night.
We are having a heat wave, it's 50 degrees today and will probably be below zero tomorrow. I think the Chicago area is the only place that you can wear shorts and have the windows open then have to put the jacket and Heat on in the same day. We can hit all seasons in one day...LOL

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
We are having a heat wave, it's 50 degrees today and will probably be below zero tomorrow. I think the Chicago area is the only place that you can wear shorts and have the windows open then have to put the jacket and Heat on in the same day. We can hit all seasons in one day...LOL
It was 70 degrees here over Christmas. It felt like spring! Not that I'm complaining.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Great lakes areas. Happens in NY all the time. The best is going from warm and windy to cold with lake effect snow. And non great lakes people don't understand lake effect or enhanced snow with lake effect....

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Great lakes areas. Happens in NY all the time. The best is going from warm and windy to cold with lake effect snow. And non great lakes people don't understand lake effect or enhanced snow with lake effect....
Try me! I would love to experience some of that lake effect snow about now.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went home and started putting coconut oil on him, within a couple applications he smelled like a coconut. So now what do I do? I melt the coconut oil and dip a thicker paper towel in it and run it across the dogs. It is good for their skin and leaves a light coconut smell. My problem solved:smile2:

Coconut oil is pretty magical. So many great uses! Do you just run the PT over the top of their coat kind of like as if it were a wipe - don't bother to rub it in I mean? I can imagine that would just cause an oily hairy storm LOL!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the Chicago area is the only place that you can wear shorts and have the windows open then have to put the jacket and Heat on in the same day. We can hit all seasons in one day...LOL
Trust me I promise you we are the same here in NOLA. Last week it was 32 when I left for work in the morning with an icy windshield. By late afternoon it was in the high 70's. 40+ degree jump in a matter of hours ain't no joke. :) Nothing new that the A/C and heater in my house get used in the same day. It's insane sometimes but I guess you just get used to it! LOL

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
I don't recall ever having had a pup that smelled bad. The pups I have raised were weaned from their mothers' milk before adoption. I also didn't smell puppy breath after weaning.
I consider it more of a health issue when they smell bad (to our standards). What are you feeding the pup and what did she eat at her breeder? Lingering Parvo effect, maybe?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts