German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what it is about Wolfie, but a lot of times people ask me what mix he is. To me, Wolfie looks like a classic German Shepherd. Again, yesterday some guy said to me" I see German Shepherd in him, but what is he mixed with? " My response... " Well, his father is a German Shepherd, and his mother is a German Shepherd! " The guy said " Oh well, he doesn't have the head of a German Shepherd, It's too blocky" I said " whatever" and walked away... Seriously I am getting sick of this question! :mad:

·
Registered
386 Posts
yeah my wife brought my puppy to school for a walk and she said someone told her what a cute german shepherd mix he is..... i mean seriously... does he look mixed?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, your pup doesn't look like a mix at all! Yours looks like Wolfie. I am wondering if sables and the lighter colored shepherds are more popular now, so people aren't used the seeing the black and reds or black and tans?

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I took Dodger to petsmart the other day and some guy came up to me and asked me if my dog was a GSD mix. I told him no he's a pure bred GSD. The guy gives me a puzzled look and proceeds to tell me that surly he must be mixed because he's a smaller male and gsd are supposed to be this big dog especially a male. I told him no he's pb trying to be polite. This guy I guess trying to be macho starts arguing with me that he has to be mixed because there's no way a German shepherd can be small like that. I told him hes 24" and weighs 75 lbs. And nope he's still arguing with me that I must be wrong on my dogs breed. I finally told him he's a pure bred shepherd for what seemed like the millionth time, gave him my best your stupid look and walked away. Leaving him standing there looking like he got slapped in the face because clearly a blonde haired girl couldn't know anything about German Shepherds :rolleyes: silly silly boys.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I actually had a woman at Pets Supply Plus ask me if Moses was a st benard! Really?
People just aren't dog savvy. I said no he's a german shepherd and she said she'd never seen one that looked like that.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I actually had a woman at Pets Supply Plus ask me if Moses was a st benard! Really?
People just aren't dog savvy. I said no he's a german shepherd and she said she'd never seen one that looked like that.
A St. Benard? Really?! How do you get a St. Benard out of a GSD? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wolfiesmom:

Some folks are thrown off by the coloring of a GSD. Perhaps you can just tell people, "oh, he's purebred, but he has unique colors which often fool people into thinking he is mixed." Anyone who has been around GSD's can tell he is pure, but only a small part of the population has had the joy and honor of having their own GSD.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You should have said no, He is Rin tin tin and will bite your jewels and spit them out if you ask one more time.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I had a girl (maybe 18-20ish) at the local pet store ask me if Willow was part Greyhound?? Seriously? There is no odder breed than a Greyhound. I fostered them last summer for a few months and they are the quirkiest dogs ever.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I always get that with Stosh because he's so fluffy- and he has a little white spot on his chest. I hear "German Shepherds don't come with long hair like that". One guy insisted that he was a Belgian Shepherd which was a pretty good guess, but one woman asked "What nationality is he?" I said German, but he was born here and I have papers to prove it.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I get that all the time as well since Dharma is a long hair. I just tell them that she is a long hair and that the trait is recessive which is why you don't see them as often but she is PB. That usually shuts them up. I haven't had someone argue with me like that about it.

But people who know shepherds always recognize right away what she is and that she is PB.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
People always ask if Tanner is part wolf. No matter how many times we groom him or brush him his coat will always be wildish looking.lol

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've also had people ask me what Bianca is mixed with or ask "Is she all German Shepherd?" and then seem surprised when I say yes.
I always thought Bianca pretty much looked like a classic GSD, so these questions confuse me!

One woman at the park asked me if Bianca was a Collie. :confused:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I swear people here know too much, because more often than 'What mix is he?' I get, 'Oh, is that a black german shepherd?' in my mind I'm always like, 'How did you know @[email protected]??'

Chrono is very large, and he has a wonky tail, so I'm more surprised when people properly identify him as a black german shepherd than when they think he's a mix. For the people that ask if he's a mix, I usually say, "No, he is a registered purebred german shepherd with the CKC. He's just of the solid black variety, and he grew too big." Nobody doubts after I say he's registered. If someone does doubt me enough to annoy me, I'll just tell them to go google Black German Shepherd when they get home. It's mostly the color that throws them off anyway.

·
Registered
475 Posts
We've had a couple of stupid people as well.
I had to go into a shop once and I had Shadow with me, I got my sister to hold Shadow's leash. Some guy goes up to my sister and says that's a Belgian shepherd, my sister says shes a German shepherd, he says "no, shes not big enough to be a german shepherd, Belgian Shepherds are smaller". My sister says, she is a german shepherd and she's not quiet 5 months old. He leaves, but as his going he says she's a beautiful Belgian Shepherd! Shadow is now 11 months old and 26 inches.
Just recently, we had someone comment to us that Shadow can't be pure breed because no way would a pure breed german shepherd allow buglers into our house. Hmmm, well she is a pup, they left in a hurry and they left blood behind, so I don't think she just sat by and watched.
People have strange ideas about German Shepherds.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I get that all the time too :( Molly is smallish and has soft ears. But the worst part is I was asked what she is mixed with from a guy with a HUGE GSD????? I know it shouldn't bother me, but I admit it annoys the heck out of me.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
One time this little girl called Molly a Husky. Molly has the Classic Black and Tan GSD look, but her tail just throws everyone off!lol

·
Registered
972 Posts
I always get that with Stosh because he's so fluffy- and he has a little white spot on his chest. I hear "German Shepherds don't come with long hair like that". One guy insisted that he was a Belgian Shepherd which was a pretty good guess, but one woman asked "What nationality is he?" I said German, but he was born here and I have papers to prove it.

i get the same with zero, because hes white and has super soft fur, most people just tell me that im wrong about MY dog and say hes a mix. NOPE all that PB fluffy soft fur is all mine to sleep on!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts